Author Topic: Install on Ubuntu  (Read 4771 times)

Offline Newbie0815

• Multiple posting newcomer
Install on Ubuntu
« on: April 17, 2011, 01:36:55 pm »
I´m a complete newbie with Linux, and I´m lost in between explanations.
I´m familiar with C::B under Windows/MinGW, therefore for my very first steps in Linux, I´m trying to install C::B, so I can have an IDE I´m familiar with.

All over the web there are 100s of posts, Wiki, Forums, etc, all explaining how to install one or another thing, but they are all different from one another and somehow they are all either incomplete, or plain wrong, at least me newbie can´t figure it out.

All I want is C::B installed so I can write a "Hello World" for a test.

On several other sites I found out, I have to install wxwidgets first, because Ubuntu doesn´t have the proper version, but on the how to do that I´m finding several dozen versions, I tried many of them, none worked, latest when they say something like "you have to add repositories" it seems they are either outdated or contain typos or I´m missing something.
Somewhere it said ".... gutsy wx ..." (replace gutsy with your version)
Checking my installation, I find out I have Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat, but if I try to replace gutsy with that, I´m getting error.

On installing C::B itself, the funny thing is, they all begin with "go to the C::B forum and download the latest nightly", including a link to it, but in the postings there it always says "Linux: None".
Afterwards they are all different again on the how to unpack and install and do settings, so even if I would find the proper download, I wouldn´t know how to install it from there.

To make this a bit shorter and easier:
I´ve just reinstalled a fresh Ubuntu 10.10 on a blank HDD.
Could anyone give me a foolproof list of things to to, to get to a properly installed C::B from there?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Install on Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 01:40:28 pm »
Have you tried the simplest method: apt-get install codeblocks?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 01:53:05 pm »
In 10.10 10.05-release is included as far as I know.
Alternatively you can use my repo, for the 10.05-release and of course also the nightlies (trunk and debugger-branch).

EDIT:
For release you have to replace main with release in sources.list and with dbg for debugger-branch.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 01:56:08 pm by jens »

Offline Newbie0815

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 02:09:39 pm »
No, I haven´t.
Considered all the notes about wxwidgets, including the one on the C::B download page, I figured I better follow that and get the proper version of wxwidgets installed first.
Furthermore I wasn´t sure whether or not apt-get would get me the latest or an outdated version of C::B.
Last but not least, on the C::B download page there is no version for Ubuntu, it just has a few notes underneath, like "Important note for Ubuntu users", where I´m really not sure what to do with it.

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 04:01:02 pm »
No, I haven´t.
Considered all the notes about wxwidgets, including the one on the C::B download page, I figured I better follow that and get the proper version of wxwidgets installed first.
Furthermore I wasn´t sure whether or not apt-get would get me the latest or an outdated version of C::B.
Last but not least, on the C::B download page there is no version for Ubuntu, it just has a few notes underneath, like "Important note for Ubuntu users", where I´m really not sure what to do with it.

Read up on what Linux repositories do for you. It is generally not like on Windows where you download a setup.exe and run that. Instead, Ubuntu (and other distros as well) have repositories where "all" the software is found, including Code::Blocks. You access and install using the packet manager software provided by the Linux distro. On *ubuntu you can do it from the command line using "sudo apt-get install codeblocks", or using the GUI package manager. I use Kubuntu, and there the package manager is Kpackagekit.

Finally, I recommend connecting to Jens' repository to get the lates Nightly of Code::Blocks. I have used it for some time and it is a nice way to stay up-to-date (Thanks Jens!). One might want a more frequent official release (once per year perhaps), but the nightlies are fairly stable. And it is still another month until the latest is a year old  :lol:

Offline Newbie0815

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 10:27:11 pm »
Thank you, that info helped a lot.

Offline devguy

• DevMentor
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 02:40:25 am »
In 10.10 10.05-release is included as far as I know.
Alternatively you can use my repo, for the 10.05-release and of course also the nightlies (trunk and debugger-branch).

EDIT:
For release you have to replace main with release in sources.list and with dbg for debugger-branch.

OH Sweet Jens, this is good to have, thanks for sharing!
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav