Author Topic: A Git Repository for Code::Blocks (ONLY trunk)  (Read 38205 times)

Offline reckless

• Regular
Re: A Git Repository for Code::Blocks (ONLY trunk)
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2011, 09:28:38 pm »
Hmm true git's gui is tcl and while not the most advanced it does what it needs to but needs a bash shell to work, qgit might be a better alternative though it lacks some documentation.
Git can be build with mingw as a true win32 application but there are some downfalls like getting svn integration to work.
I got a win32 build you can test if you want ? (it uses qgit gui svn support is not in yet) it works with standard git repositories though.
Its also a lot smaller than msys-git.

zabzonk

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2011, 09:43:18 pm »
>Git can be build with mingw as a true win32 application but there are some downfalls like getting svn integration to work.

msys-git is a "true win32 application", and svn integration via "git svn" works perfectly.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2011, 09:52:02 am »
Mercurial does not ship with a GUI - TortoiseHg is a separate project.
Oh, mine does - it's a TCL/TK based UI and shows the revision tree, differences and stuff like that.Though it's really hidden in the sub-folders of the Windows installation.  I don't mean TortoiseXXX. Such things are of no help for me as I never use the explorer.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline reckless

• Regular
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2011, 03:54:15 pm »
msys-git is a "true win32 application", and svn integration via "git svn" works perfectly.

I mean it relies on a posix layer (msys-1.0.dll) the mingw one only needs what dll's are allready on windows + a few things like curl.
Im working on getting the tcl gui to use the windows tclsh directly instead of through bash.
Msys-git works fine no argument there :) its just a little large so im trying to cut some fat.

Offline daniloz

• Regular
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2011, 10:08:32 am »
Another question here...

How do I use a patch generated by SVN on my local git svn ?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2011, 10:11:38 am »
Apply it with the patch command and then commit it in your local branch with patches.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline daniloz

• Regular
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2011, 10:14:16 am »
Apply it with the patch command and then commit it in your local branch with patches.

That's what I was trying to do, but I got the following error message
Code
can't find file to patch at input line 5
Perhaps you should have used the -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|Index: src/sdk/editorconfigurationdlg.cpp
|===================================================================
|--- src/sdk/editorconfigurationdlg.cpp (revision 7595)
|+++ src/sdk/editorconfigurationdlg.cpp (working copy)
File to patch:

That's my command
Code
$ patch -i /...path.../BraceCompletionSelectedText.patch

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2011, 10:24:46 am »

That's what I was trying to do, but I got the following error message
Code
can't find file to patch at input line 5
Perhaps you should have used the -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
|Index: src/sdk/editorconfigurationdlg.cpp
|===================================================================
|--- src/sdk/editorconfigurationdlg.cpp (revision 7595)
|+++ src/sdk/editorconfigurationdlg.cpp (working copy)
File to patch:

That's my command
Code
$ patch -i /...path.../BraceCompletionSelectedText.patch
If you are inside the git's root level, you need most likely the -p0 (or -p1) parameter, and I suggest to always use --dry-run as first to test what would happen, without breaking anything.

Offline daniloz

• Regular
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2011, 10:47:32 am »
If you are inside the git's root level, you need most likely the -p0 (or -p1) parameter, and I suggest to always use --dry-run as first to test what would happen, without breaking anything.
Thanks jens, the switch -p0 did the trick and I could apply the patch...

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2012, 01:01:56 pm »
There is some new discussion of git. see:
Re: Integrate the nativeparser_base to our parsertest project

Said by Morten:
I have nothing against GIT itself. Just the combination we do here between SVN and GIT. If we all agree we should consider moving towards GIT completely if most of the devs use it anyways. I recall we were discussing this already, just not why we didn't do it (was it the lack of support from BerliOS?!).

I wonder if some of you already did a migration from SVN to GIT. I mean in terms of keep existing branches and (of course) the whole history...?!

I recall the time when I personally migrated from CVS to SVN. It wasn't easy, but doable if you had the right tools at hand.

So, we can discuss this issue here.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2012, 04:58:52 pm »
That is true. I have nothing against GIT itself. Just the combination we do here between SVN and GIT. If we all agree we should consider moving towards GIT completely if most of the devs use it anyways. I recall we were discussing this already, just not why we didn't do it (was it the lack of support from BerliOS?!).

I wonder if some of you already did a migration from SVN to GIT. I mean in terms of keep existing branches and (of course) the whole history...?!

I recall the time when I personally migrated from CVS to SVN. It wasn't easy, but doable if you had the right tools at hand.

If there is a voting now, I'd vote for switching to git as it makes open source development a lot easier. (I've only used git-svn, but I'm sure it does).
Switching to git will make it easier to test things and to follow other developers, as everybody can publish their work-in-progress in separate branches.

I'm not sure for the hosting, but github sounds like something useful. There is UI to fork projects, request pulls, social stuff...
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2012, 05:14:40 pm »
I'm not sure for the hosting, but github sounds like something useful. There is UI to fork projects, request pulls, social stuff...
I think we all now the advantages we could take from GIT. However, I would rather not use a third platform if it isn't really necessary. We don't now how well it will be accessible world-wide and would need to connect this repo to our project pages "somehow".

If BerliOS or SourceForge offer similar functionality (or less, if that is still enough) I clearly vote for those platforms. Also - still most important to me:
???
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2012, 05:28:45 pm »
???

I cloned the whole svn repo with git-svn.
It holds the whole history since commit 1 to HEAD.

It still uses git-svn, so it is not a real git repo, but there exist scripts and many, many guides that help to really switch to git.
I will try it this weekend.

By the way, if I understand it correctly, berlios also offers git since some time:
http://developer.berlios.de/docman/display_doc.php?docid=1812&group_id=2

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2012, 05:56:13 pm »
I cloned the whole svn repo with git-svn.
It holds the whole history since commit 1 to HEAD.
I think, I've cloned only trunk, but I have the whole history. It took 30-60 minutes.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2012, 06:24:57 pm »
By the way, if I understand it correctly, berlios also offers git since some time:
Yes, I know - it just does not have such a "nice" interface like GitHub or alike. But I don't know if we would miss too much.

Concerning the GIT conversion: I would be mostly interested if your branch switching is reflected properly. For example: The last switch between trunk and the CC branch is important as only in the (backed-up) trunk branch the history is until "day 1".

An if conversion is OK - how would we proceed? Convert locally and upload the a whole converted repo via SSH to BerliOS, or does BerliOS / SourceForge itself offer a migration service? Maybe it wise to setup a dummy project and try before...