Author Topic: some questions from newbie to embedded programming.  (Read 7547 times)

zohar81

some questions from newbie to embedded programming.
« on: February 24, 2011, 10:07:21 am »
Hi folks, i'm on this field for a very short time, and i'd like to ask some basic questions regarding the compiler infrastructure.
little background... i've started working on a small silicon firm that adopted gnu compiler for it's own microprocessor.
however, compilers are obviously not at the main core of the company product, and it seems the mode of operation has long been forgotten...

so here it comes ...

first, regarding the crt0.s file. it looks like this file initialize the stack and the data sections.
what's so special about this file, and is it already aware of the global variables that defined in the code (which reflect on the .bss section size) ?

second, i've printed some parts of compiler output dump here. it refers to the symbol table, and i couldn't figure it's true meaning... perhaps you can explain to me what
is the purpose of this table ?

SYMBOL TABLE:
00140000 l    d  .text  00000000
0018fc48 l    d  .rodata    00000000
00190c50 l    d  .data  00000000

and one last thing... can you direct me to some reading material about embedded gnu, so i can dig a little more ?

thanks alot

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: some questions from newbie to embedded programming.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 10:15:24 am »
Not related to C::B in any way and therefore violating our forum rules.

C::B is "just" an IDE that works with many compilers (also embedded), but it is not a compiler, neither is our forum/website a compiler forum/website.

Sorry !

Topic locked !