Author Topic: Welcome Newcomers - PLEASE READ!!!  (Read 1139651 times)

Offline prouddaddy

• Single posting newcomer
Re: Welcome Newcomers - PLEASE READ!!!
« Reply #570 on: May 06, 2013, 05:05:04 am »
I am new. I am here.

I am new to cpp programing.  I am getting several error messages when
trying to build a program.
Is there a help source for the different build errors and what generally
 causes the errors? Or do I have to search for help on a specific error?
For example I get: D:\CPlusPlus Programs\BlankProject\main.cpp||In function 'int main()':
D:\CPlusPlus Programs\BlankProject\main.cpp|40|error: expected primary-expression before ']' token

Thanx for any help.

dsenic2000

« Reply #571 on: May 08, 2013, 04:59:24 pm »
"I am new, I am here"

Offline WardXmodem

Ward "Xmodem & BBSs" C is here
« Reply #572 on: May 08, 2013, 06:49:49 pm »
Hey guys 'n' gals, I'm someone who started programming back in (gasp) '65, actually writing a mainframe program.

I've done 360 Assembler, Cobol, fortran, C, Pascal, APL, and invented the Xmodem protocol that got many early computer hobbyists "online" in the last 70's, and with superb hardware hacker Randy Suess, invented the Bulletin Board System in '78, giving people something HOBBY based to call in to. .

SO after tens of thousands of lines of assembler, I finally graduated to a bit of Pascal, C, etc, and can "learn under the duress" of needing something small, pick up some Perl, or VBA, or whatever.  (I NEVER NEVER could understand PROLOGUE, with its goal seeking, etc). 

I'm now a retired IBMer after 44 years, and wanting to program in something other than my beloved KEDIT macros, and being quite ADD and etc have trouble focusing on really comprehending "Object Oriented". 

I learned the "fundamentals" of Windows programming thanks to AUTOIT3, i.e. the idea of putting stuff out there and waiting for the OS to tell you someone did something with your GUI interface.

I am struggling terribly with Code::Blocks and wxwidgets, for while a quick install and sample program worked great in console mode, there's always something funky with wx like finding "Oh, you have the wrong library" (unknown unwind something).  Right now I'm wondering if I can't have compiled wxwidgets to another DRIVE than C::B and gcc etc are installed on - for copying the directories from E: to C: some things started working. 

I'm also confused by the plethora of places you can poke in your path, (haha) i.e. "set environment variables", then "settings" for compiler, linker, etc.  So right now I have wxmsw28d_core undefined in the linker, but I compiled with 2.9.4, but I see nothing *_core except wx_core.dsp, so I become lost again.   

QUESTION:   In searching documentation, some of it is dated, and points to older versions, so I would like to take my struggles and document them, as to the steps to follow, etc.   There are too many things in the current documentation that say things like "check your config files" which is aimed at someone who has done this many times before, i.e. KNOWS WHICH CONFIG FILES, etc.   

Good to be here!  Looking forward to learning more.

Morviuz

« Reply #573 on: May 08, 2013, 08:24:26 pm »
Hello everyone, I am new and I am here ... Time to practice C++!

gwx

« Reply #574 on: May 09, 2013, 07:14:36 pm »
Hi folks,

I'm made of flesh and (still) alive :-)

xumuk

« Reply #575 on: May 09, 2013, 08:23:01 pm »
Hi there! I`m new and obviously I`m here.

Offline chihwahli

« Reply #576 on: May 10, 2013, 09:54:45 am »

I am new  I am here.  Wish you all well! =)

Follicleez

« Reply #577 on: May 14, 2013, 02:27:12 am »
Follicleez suffered an increase in gravity and landed here. I am new to C++.

Offline marphod

Re: Welcome Newcomers - PLEASE READ!!!I am not a number....
« Reply #578 on: May 15, 2013, 05:18:35 pm »
(I am a human Bean.  With unfortunate color settings  as the editor box is black on black for me.  Gah.)

ctopher

« Reply #579 on: May 16, 2013, 09:51:26 pm »
Switching from visual Studio 6 and MFC. Looking for help in this forum.

Offline mingkoonkat

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #580 on: May 17, 2013, 12:32:17 am »
I want to change back to a human

tlabash

« Reply #581 on: May 18, 2013, 02:31:15 am »
"I am new, I am here" I am learning programing in college so I am real new! 8)

Astro Chicken

« Reply #582 on: May 18, 2013, 04:00:07 am »
"I am new, I am here"

Haven't done much programming since college and hoping to get back into it.

Offline Urban_Hermit

• Gaming since 1984
« Reply #583 on: May 21, 2013, 03:21:39 am »
Hi, I used to a little programming in the 1980's as a teenager in the BASIC language, (it really was basic).
I used to have an Amstrad CPC 464, it was top notch back in the day, green screen or colour monitor, 64k RAM, built in audio cassette deck. It was awesome. In the manual you had several programs and games you could type in, magazines full of codes.

I loved the fact that most programs could be broken into. The magazines included pokes, these were little bits of code that could be included into a game that were basically game cheats, but it was a lot more interesting to break into the program yourself and work out how to give yourself extra lives, slow down time, even change graphics, various different things that would give you advantages. I enjoyed gaming an experimenting with code.

Then came consoles. The NES, Sega Megadrive, PS3 1,2,3, and a few others in between. The PC became a bulky tool that sat in the corner. Both seemed to become objects others wrote software for you to exploit, rather than for you to easily play around with. To do programming courses involved money, time, and expensive books. All things I didn't have at that time.

Now days with code blocks, masses of free info on the net, and affordable books coding has become something you can put as little or as much money and time into as you want, whether it be at college or home. For years I've wanted to take up programming again, I just wished I'd known about code blocks years ago!

Sorry about sending the Kaspersky Fix post before this, I though it was important info, and notice this thread until today.

I hope this goes some way to proving to you, and me that I am Human! :D
Cyberbrain sclerosis:
The disease is characterized by hardening of the brain tissues precipitated by the cyberization process. As, officially, no cure exists, cyberbrain sclerosis is always fatal. Anyone that has a cyberbrain  is potentially at risk.

Offline nanobot

« Reply #584 on: May 22, 2013, 12:24:32 pm »
Greetings from New Zealand, I am a C++ programmer from the days of Borland C++ Builder which was the ultimate Rad tool, until Microsoft pinched its technical expertise and incorporated it in Visual Studio.
Hope to investigate CodeBlocks to see how it shapes up running under Linux Mint 14.
Nice to be on board.

Regards

John
 :)