Author Topic: Is there a way to make CodeBlocks autocompletion better?  (Read 7627 times)

Offline Zamp

• Multiple posting newcomer
Is there a way to make CodeBlocks autocompletion better?
« on: January 23, 2011, 05:57:53 am »
Right now I'm using Visual Studio 2010 instead of CodeBlocks just because the auto completion in VS2010 is way better.

It seems like with CodeBlocks, autocompletion only works on variables/classes you have made yourself in your current project. But with VS2010, if I use something from some other library that I included, it will show me everything about the function or all the attributes to a variable when I go to use it. CodeBlocks just does nothing.

Am I not seeing an option in CodeBlocks to enable a better auto completion? I'd way rather use CodeBlocks than VS2010 since I supporting open source software, but VS2010's auto completion is keeping me going back to it right now since it's just so awesome.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: Is there a way to make CodeBlocks autocompletion better?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 06:33:44 am »
It seems like with CodeBlocks, autocompletion only works on variables/classes you have made yourself in your current project. But with VS2010, if I use something from some other library that I included, it will show me everything about the function or all the attributes to a variable when I go to use it. CodeBlocks just does nothing.
From my point of view, that was not correct.
If you include the header files of "other library" in your current project, then is can show autocompletion correctly. because the headers from the "other library" can be parsed.

Am I not seeing an option in CodeBlocks to enable a better auto completion? I'd way rather use CodeBlocks than VS2010 since I supporting open source software, but VS2010's auto completion is keeping me going back to it right now since it's just so awesome.
There are several "options" to improve the CodeCompletion plugin. Current implementation do not have a sematic analysis, so in the future, a full compiler front end can help us lot.

They are:
1, using Clang library, it supply a libclang library with C interface, it was licensed under LLVM (a BSD like license)
2, or using gccsense, come from a hacked gcc code base, it was licensed under GPLV3

See all the discussion on this forum:CodeCompletion redesign

BTW: both of them need a lot of work. If you have some interest, welcome to discuss and cooperate. :D
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 09:39:49 am »
What version of C::B do you use.

It's not worth to start a disussion without that information.

Offline xakepp35

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:51:06 pm »
i have same problems.   :P
But i have more detailed questions about it operation. Yhey are here:
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,14094.0.html
 :D