Author Topic: CVS seems broken ?  (Read 13196 times)

rig0r

CVS seems broken ?
« on: November 18, 2005, 04:39:27 pm »
Current CVS doesnt seem to compile:

# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/codeblocks-cvs --enable-contrib
# make

Code
 g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../../src/sdk -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-ansi-release-2.6 -I/usr/include/wx-2.6 -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -D__WXGTK__ -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE=1 -I../../../src/sdk/wxscintilla/include -I../../../src/sdk/tinyxml -I../../../src/sdk -I../../../src/sdk/as/include -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-ansi-release-2.6 -I/usr/include/wx-2.6 -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -D__WXGTK__ -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE=1 -g -O2 -O2 -ffast-math -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-ansi-release-2.6 -I/usr/include/wx-2.6 -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -D__WXGTK__ -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE=1 -MT scriptbindings.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/scriptbindings.Tpo -c ./bindings/scriptbindings.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/scriptbindings.o
bindings/scriptbindings.cpp:15: error: `cbProject' was not declared in this
   scope
bindings/scriptbindings.cpp:15: error: `p' was not declared in this scope

Followed by a bunch of other compile errors.
Running Gentoo/Linux.

Offline Der Meister

• Regular
Re: CVS seems broken ?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 07:55:29 pm »
In this thread mandrav says that currently only CodeBlocks-NewBuild.cbp is up-to-date, thus even the Makefile seems to be outdated. Anyway I got the same errors when trying to build the current CVS-version on Gentoo but using the project file at least these errors don't appear. But I'm still struggling with some problems about <wx/setup.h>  :?
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Real Programmers don't write in BASIC. Actually, no programmers write in BASIC, after the age of 12.

rig0r

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 11:45:51 am »
Ah. I see I need a post 1.0rc2 Linux CVS binary to be able to build the current CVS version using the new project file. Are there linux CVS binaries available ?

Offline Der Meister

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 07:32:34 pm »
In fact 1.0RC2 is enough to build the new cvs-version. I have just finished compiling the current cvs-version using a modified CodeBlock-NewBuild.cbp. But I still can't test if it was successfull because it seems that I need an install script like the one the old Makefile provided. But the old one simply doesn't wok because it's quite outdated. Thus if I try to run the just compiled executable I just get an error message saying that libcodeblocks.so cannot be found.
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Real Programmers don't write in BASIC. Actually, no programmers write in BASIC, after the age of 12.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 08:08:01 pm »
I don't really understand what the problem is here...
You 're talking about linux, so this should be enough:

Code
./configure --enable-contrib --prefix=/usr
make
sudo make install

Why the confusion?
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Der Meister

• Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 08:18:47 pm »
Well, this was enough before the great changes in the last days. But doing so with the current cvs-version gives lots of errors... for example:
Code
 g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../../src/sdk -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-2.4 -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -D__WXGTK__ -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -I../../../src/sdk/wxscintilla/include -I../../../src/sdk/tinyxml -I../../../src/sdk -I../../../src/sdk/as/include -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-2.4 -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -D__WXGTK__ -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -g -O2 -O2 -ffast-math -MT sc_io.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/sc_io.Tpo -c ./bindings/sc_io.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/sc_io.o
bindings/sc_io.cpp: In member function `bool IOLib::RemoveDir(const wxString&)':
bindings/sc_io.cpp:23: error: `rmdir' undeclared (first use this function)
bindings/sc_io.cpp:23: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.)
Could it be possible that (in this case) only -DCB_PRECOMP and/or -DWX_PRECOMP are missing? I did not test it but these two macros are defined when compiling with the project file CodeBlocks-NewBuild.cpb.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 08:24:04 pm »
What gcc are you using?
(g++ --version)
Be patient!

Offline Der Meister

• Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 08:28:22 pm »
Code
gcc (GCC) 3.3.6 (Gentoo 3.3.6, ssp-3.3.6-1.0, pie-8.7.8)
But I don't think that it is just a compiler problem because I can compile even the current cvs-version (just using a modified CodeBlocks-NewBuild.cbp, but these files are also compiled).

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 08:31:25 pm »
No, the reason I asked is because your compiler doesn't use precompiled headers. Mine does that's why I didn't notice...
So the problem is about a missing include in sdk/as/bindings/sc_io.cpp.
Add #include <wx/filefn.h> in this file and try again...
Be patient!

Offline Der Meister

• Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 08:35:48 pm »
I'm sorry but this did not change anything.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 11:33:47 pm »
Have you tried installing GCC 3.4.2 or later? Just a thought (I'm a windoze user)

Offline Der Meister

• Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 11:46:40 pm »
Well, I don't want to switch to gcc 3.4 because (as far as I know) there were some major changes from 3.3 to 3.4. And I don't want to break my system if something goes wrong. Maybe I will switch someday when I have more reasons or when I'm doing a reinstall - but not just for Code::Blocks.

By the way, does Code::Blocks need the gcc? Or could it be compiled with other compilers, for example like icc?

Edit:
Seems as if I got it working.
I used configure as normal but then changed the CXXFLAGS and CPPFLAGS wich the Makefile uses. I added the preprocessor macros CB_PRECOMP and WX_PRECOMP and changed the include-paths for wx to use my wxGTK-2.6 installation and added the include-path for angelscript.h. It is still compiling, I'm hoping that it will finish successfully.
Here's the commands I have used:
Code
./configure --enable-contrib --prefix=/opt/codeblocks-cvs
make CXXFLAGS="-g -O2 -O2 -ffast-math -DCB_PRECOMP -DWX_PRECOMP" CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-ansi-release-2.6 -I/usr/include/wx-2.6 -I../sdk/as/include -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -D__WXGTK__ -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES"
This will be followed by a 'make install' if nothing goes wrong.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 12:12:10 am by Der Meister »

Offline yop

• Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2005, 12:36:26 am »
By the way, does Code::Blocks need the gcc? Or could it be compiled with other compilers, for example like icc?
 be followed by a 'make install' if nothing goes wrong.
Yes it can you just have to translate the flags (most of them are the same) to the compiler. I built codeblocks with icc as a part of my tests for the addition of icc in cb's supported compilers. But be warned you'll get tons of remarks (well you know the icc way ;))
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 12:39:40 am by yop »
Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.

Offline Der Meister

• Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2005, 12:48:29 am »
Nice...

Well, back to my last approach: It seems as if it compiles well but when it comes to the point where src/src is linked together I get tons of linker-errors, probably the same as anonuser mentioned here.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2005, 05:11:48 am »
Der Meister:

I understand. However, notice that many packages today are built with GCC 3.4+. 4.0 on the other hand, is the one you should be wary of.

Offline Der Meister

• Regular
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2005, 10:56:12 am »
Yes, indeed. But I am using a source based distribution (gentoo) and as long as all important packages compile well on gcc 3.3 (in fact, Code::Blocks is the first one which makes problems) I don't want to risk anything. I know that even in the gentoo stable tree gcc 3.4 or 4.0 will be the used compiler someday (gcc 3.4 is already used in the unstable tree), but I want to stay with the stable tree and not mix stable and unstable packages if possible.

Offline Der Meister

• Regular
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2005, 01:05:37 pm »
Well, I finally got it. mandrav was right, the original error message was a compiler problem. I noticed that it is possible to install gcc 3.3 and 3.4 in parallel and to switch between them. This way I could compile and install Code::Blocks with following commands:
Code
./configure --enable-contrib --prefix=/opt/codeblocks-cvs --with-wx-config=wx-config-2.6
make CPPFLAGS="$(CPPFLAGS) -I../sdk/as/include"
make install
But one problem remains. When I try to start Code::Blocks I get this error message:
Code
 ~ $ /opt/codeblocks-cvs/bin/codeblocks 
Fatal Error: Mismatch between the program and library build versions detected.
The library used 2.6 (no debug,ANSI,compiler with C++ ABI 102,wx containers,compatible with 2.4),
and your program used 2.6 (no debug,ANSI,compiler with C++ ABI 1002,wx containers,compatible with 2.4).
Aborted
I believe that this comes from the fact that I compiled Code::Blocks with gcc 3.4 but wxGTK with gcc 3.3. I will try to re-compile it with gcc 3.4 and hope that it works...

Edit:
Recompiling wxGTK and then recompiling Code::Blocks did the trick. I can start Code::Blocks now but I still get an error message:

14:06:47: /opt/codeblocks-cvs/share/codeblocks/plugins/libcompiler.so: undefined symbol: _ZN14AnnoyingDialog9ShowModalEv

After clicking OK Code::Blocks starts just as normal and seems to work except for the compiler-plugin. But without this plugin Code::Blocks is quite unusable because it can do hardly anything. Has anyone an idea why this problem occurs?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 02:13:56 pm by Der Meister »

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2005, 06:19:26 pm »
Edit:
Recompiling wxGTK and then recompiling Code::Blocks did the trick. I can start Code::Blocks now but I still get an error message:

14:06:47: /opt/codeblocks-cvs/share/codeblocks/plugins/libcompiler.so: undefined symbol: _ZN14AnnoyingDialog9ShowModalEv

After clicking OK Code::Blocks starts just as normal and seems to work except for the compiler-plugin. But without this plugin Code::Blocks is quite unusable because it can do hardly anything. Has anyone an idea why this problem occurs?

Yes, a couple of new files from yesterday weren't in the build system just yet.
I just added them but it 'll take a few hours until anonymous CVS syncs...
Be patient!

rig0r

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2005, 09:08:56 pm »
It compiles and runs just fine now after upgrading to GCC 3.4.4 and the CVS update. Thanks  :D