Author Topic: CodeBlocks connects to the internet?  (Read 7250 times)

Offline Phenom

• Multiple posting newcomer
CodeBlocks connects to the internet?
« on: September 02, 2010, 12:02:59 pm »
Sometimes, while using C::B my firewall spawns a window informing me that "codeblocks.exe is trying to connect to the internet."

Perhaps someone can explain it...

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: CodeBlocks connects to the internet?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 04:21:14 pm »
The devpak plugin needs the internet; so, you might disable it and see if it stops.
The start page might be interpreted as the internet; but, it is not.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Phenom

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 08:04:36 pm »
The start page might be interpreted as the internet; but, it is not.

Tim S.

I'm not talking about the start page. It might just be the devpak plugin. But that plugin should request access to the internet when it runs, right?

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 08:37:46 pm »
Perhaps someone can explain it...
As you didn't say anything about your C::B version or the platform/OS you are using it's hard to tell.

However, the most likely explanation is the DDE feature on Windows which is often mis-interpreted by firewalls or the loop-back communication on Linux which is very common. Look if the connection is to localhost (127.0.0.1 usually) - if so, you can safely ignore it.

BTW: You should tell way more information next time, e.g. where the connection is going to, what port, what IP etc... otherwise no-one can really tell and help...

BTW: An OpenSource project with such a large community and lots of developers is hardly virus-like, don't you think?! So I am not getting the point anyways.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Phenom

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 09:45:21 pm »
BTW: An OpenSource project with such a large community and lots of developers is hardly virus-like, don't you think?! So I am not getting the point anyways.

I'm didn't mean that codeblocks includes a virus or something, but I just wanted to know if this behavoiur is normal or codeblocks executable is infected by spyware of such stuff.

Sorry I didn't mention OS and version the first time:
    - C::B version: it occurs at all versions from 8.02(the first i used) till now.

I don't remember the IP and port but i'll catch it next time.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 12:01:45 pm »
BTW: An OpenSource project with such a large community and lots of developers is hardly virus-like, don't you think?!
I think it's not an entirely illegitimate question, seeing that others with millions of users are not safe from it either.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."