Author Topic: Codecompletion for D  (Read 21427 times)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Codecompletion for D
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 08:52:41 am »
Not knowing c++ will not allow you to contribute :(

I recognized that the D Language is as good as C (or C++) and has more important properties than C (and C++). Personally thinking, it will be one of the most popular and important languages in future after D2 is soon formally released out. (D core developers are working very hard every day.)
No, it won't, it will always be a moving target and the libraries will be a moving target, so no one will use it seriously.  :lol: 8)
The future is in haskell, scala and f# (ocaml this one is really used for something). So go check them.
D is the same shuffle of the imperative features of C++ and Java + something more...

BTW1: I was passionate about D, too, I've even tried it and now I'm not passionate :)
BTW2: I don't want to start language war type of discussion :)
BTW3: For full support in C::B you need a core developer passionate about D and there isn't one around here, so there is very little chance this to happen.  :(
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline wangdong1226

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 07:57:13 am »
No, it won't, it will always be a moving target and the libraries will be a moving target, so no one will use it seriously.  :lol: 8)
The future is in haskell, scala and f# (ocaml this one is really used for something). So go check them.
D is the same shuffle of the imperative features of C++ and Java + something more...

BTW1: I was passionate about D, too, I've even tried it and now I'm not passionate :)
BTW2: I don't want to start language war type of discussion :)
BTW3: For full support in C::B you need a core developer passionate about D and there isn't one around here, so there is very little chance this to happen.  :(

I'm learning D Language, and after finishing it, I'll go back to learn C++; this stage will cost about 10+ years.   :lol:
And after finishing C++, I'll try to delivery patches to some core developers of CB to modify the codecompletion or other parts of CB to improve the support of D Language.  This will cost about 1~2 years.  :)
If someone pay a little bit mercy on me, will greatly reduce the time schedule.  :P

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 09:59:38 am »
I'm learning D Language, and after finishing it, I'll go back to learn C++; this stage will cost about 10+ years.   :lol:
And after finishing C++, I'll try to delivery patches to some core developers of CB to modify the codecompletion or other parts of CB to improve the support of D Language.  This will cost about 1~2 years.  :)
If someone pay a little bit mercy on me, will greatly reduce the time schedule.  :P
so, we will see your patch ten years later. :wink: Anyway, I can help you if you would like to help C::B. :D
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 06:34:23 pm »
D seems to be a pretty nice language/idea the problem is that it lacks the multitude of libraries available for C++. While you can use c standard libraries in my opinion it isn't enough (creating wrappers and porting is a huge work). On the other hand learning so many languages can drive you crazy  :P In my case I had work with visual basic, java (lightly, hated all VM/JIT stuff), ecma script (java script, action script), pascal, C#(almost java) and my favorites php and c/c++ The other day I was thinking of moving to C# (faster development) since the mono framework has implemented something that makes your application almost native, but I will always return to C++ Besides everyone on this forums knows at least a little english, if it wasn't the case we would have some serious communication problems. So c/c++ can be compared to english xD (everyone knows at least a little bit)

Offline wangdong1226

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 03:11:38 am »
D seems to be a pretty nice language/idea the problem is that it lacks the multitude of libraries available for C++. While you can use c standard libraries in my opinion it isn't enough (creating wrappers and porting is a huge work). On the other hand learning so many languages can drive you crazy  :P In my case I had work with visual basic, java (lightly, hated all VM/JIT stuff), ecma script (java script, action script), pascal, C#(almost java) and my favorites php and c/c++ The other day I was thinking of moving to C# (faster development) since the mono framework has implemented something that makes your application almost native, but I will always return to C++ Besides everyone on this forums knows at least a little english, if it wasn't the case we would have some serious communication problems. So c/c++ can be compared to english xD (everyone knows at least a little bit)

Yes, you are right. D really lacks of the multitude libraries. Until now, for the released D2, the library there is only Phobos.

D2 (ver 2.052)has formally supported 64bit on Linux (64bit will formally support for other platforms later on: Win, OS X, FreBSD, etc), and its under construction: Shared libraries for Linux.

So, a moment later, we will see that we can use Linux libraries in D, and it will no long with the title that 'lack of libraries'.

BTW, as I know, GTK+ 3.0 has formally released, and it introduced a "GObject Introspection" which can widely enlarge the programming languages' bundling using (of course includes D Language).

"GObject Introspection" implements calling GObject easily and fluently. It means that every Language just need to build a 'GObject Introspection' bundle, then the Language can easily and fluently call every API of GTK+ 3.0 through this bundle;
It is excited! you know, GTK+ is a very very good GUI level library which was written in C Language. ^_^

Your advice is very kindly also. For I'm not so wise, learn too many languages really will confusing me. ha ha   :D
I only will learn C Language and D Language,  and also will try to learn C++ Language (for understanding CodeBlocks's source code and can submit patches to CodeBlocks's core developers).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:19:32 am by wangdong1226 »

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 08:03:42 pm »
This seems a full featured D IDE http://www.dsource.org/projects/poseidon I haven't tried it but it seems to have code completion, so if you haven't yet, try it