User forums > Using Code::Blocks

Very strange layout problems

(1/4) > >>

Revvy:
So, I installed rc2 this morning anticipating wonderful things.  I didn't bother uninstalling rc1, I just installed over top of it (after backing up the CodeBlocks registry section first).  Now, the attached screenshot is what I saw.  You'll notice that the tab icons appear incorrectly (alpha not being drawn correctly?), the debug bar is being drawn overtop of the build target menu, and many of the buttons are larger than their frames.  I tried reopening the program, no change.  So, I figured it was probably something to do with the settings I left lying around.  In uninstalled rc2 (leaving the settings around again), and then reinstalled.  Still no dice, it looked exactly the same.  Finally, I uninstalled rc2 (and all settings), deleted the entire CodeBlocks folder and tried installing again.  Exactly the same problem.

Is anyone else getting this problem?  How do I fix it?

I also filed a bug relating to the uninstallation :)

Edit: Windows 2000 SP4, 512 mb ram, 2.4 ghz, etc etc

[attachment deleted by admin]

thomas:

--- Quote from: Revvy on October 30, 2005, 06:07:52 pm ---You'll notice that the tab icons appear incorrectly (alpha not being drawn correctly?)
--- End quote ---
Windows 2000 bug. The only workaround to get Windows 2000 to draw alpha transparency on png correctly is to use paletted images. These, however, have a significantly worse image quality (for everybody).
You may want to try these (those should work): http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=126998&atid=707418&func=detail&aid=1287929

--- Quote from: Revvy on October 30, 2005, 06:07:52 pm ---the debug bar is being drawn overtop of the build target menu
--- End quote ---
Try going to your home directory and delete the file .cb_layout.bin.

mandrav:

--- Quote ---the debug bar is being drawn overtop of the build target menu
--- End quote ---

It seems it happens on win2000 and earlier. Something to do with wxWidgets/wxDockit, not sure which one's fault...
A "fix" is to drag the debugger's toolbar to the left so the order is MainBar-DebuggerBar-CompilerBar. At least this way the target combo will be visible...

Revvy:
So how come this wasn't an issue with rc1?

Edit: Also, deleting .cb_layout.bin didn't make a difference.

thomas:
About the toolbar, I can't tell (don't know).

About the icons, it certainly was an issue with RC1. It has always been, because it is a bug in Windows 2000.

The icons are png images with a separate 8 bit alpha channel. Windows 2000 does not handle this correctly. The files from the patch I pointed out use an 8 bit palette, which has one value defined as transparent. Obviously, there is a great loss in visual quality when using this kind of image (which is why they're not used by default).

To explain the difference, look at the magnified flag icon:

As you can see, the 8-bit paletted image only knows two transparency levels: opaque and fully transparent. The good thing is that even Windows 2000 can handle it. The bad thing is that it has a very poor image quality.
Matte colour could be used to hide this deficiency, but this would require beforehand knowledge about the widget's background colour (matte against the wrong background looks a lot worse!). Since widget colours are customisable by the user, this is a very bad idea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version