Author Topic: Bug in SDL project wizard?  (Read 6930 times)

Offline mkborregaard

• Multiple posting newcomer
Bug in SDL project wizard?
« on: November 08, 2007, 08:38:54 pm »
I have a consistent problem trying to launch SDL projects in code::blocks.
When asked to specify the folder in which I have placed SDL, I get the error: "The folder seems valid, but this wizard could not find the file SDL.h in it".
The file is in there, in a subfolder ("include"). Is this a problem with the wizard?
When I just try to open a simple console application and type my SDL code there, I get numerous error messages from MinGW, which I interpret as the library not being linked (e.g. "undefined reference to CreatePalette@4"), although i link to "libSDL.a; libSDL.dll.a; libSDLmain.a", and have listed both the include and lib folders as "search directories".

The specifics:
I am running a windows system. SDL has been installed from sources using MSYS in the folder "C:\MinGW\MSYS\local" (lib and include folders). I direct the SDL wizard to "C:\MinGW\MSYS\local"; "SDL.h" is found in "C:\MinGW\MSYS\local\include".
I have tried setting a global variable "sdl" to the appropriate targets.
Thanks for any help

Edit:
The problem persists.
I have now tried the precompiled version of SDL, and changed the directories. I have also copied all the header files from the include folder to the SDL top folder (so that SDL.h is directly in the folder that I direct C::B to). This does not seem like an SDL issue, maybe a bug in the wizard? Or have I forgot something? Can anyone give me a little help here?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 12:29:08 am by mkborregaard »

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
Re: Bug in SDL project wizard?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 03:14:35 am »
The missing functions come from the Win32 api. Search for them on MSDN to find the appropriate link libraries to add -- for instance, CreatePalette is linked from gdi32.lib (in C::B, add "gdi32" to the Link Libraries list in your project's linker options). Most of them will actually be resolved with the catch-all "-mwindows" linker option, actually.
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline mkborregaard

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 08:42:20 pm »
I do not have gdi32.lib. I have libgdi32.a, but linking to that, or using the -mwindows option does not solve the problem.
Am I to understand that the SDL project wizard is officially not working? Or is this a local problem on my machine?

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 07:07:02 am »
libgdi32.a is the MinGW equivalent of MSVC's gdi32.lib; adding "gdi32" to the link options as I recommended causes C::B to append "-lgdi32" to the link-time options which will bring in libgd32.a.

At any rate, the SDL wizard is slightly broken; by temporarily copying SDL.h to the <SDL>\include folder, then restoring it and fixing the paths in the project search directories to point to <SDL>\include\SDL, everything worked fine:
Code
mingw32-g++.exe -Wall  -g    -IG:\Libraries\SDL-1.2.12\include\SDL -IG:\MinGW\include  -c G:\Projects\test\main.cpp -o obj\debug\main.o
mingw32-g++.exe -LG:\Libraries\SDL-1.2.12\lib -LG:\MinGW\lib  -o debug\test.exe obj\debug\main.o    -lmingw32 -lSDLmain -lSDL.dll -luser32 -lgdi32 -lwinmm -ldxguid
Output size is 368.63 KB
Process terminated with status 0 (0 minutes, 1 seconds)
0 errors, 0 warnings
(The above is from the Build log with full command-line logging enabled.)
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline mkborregaard

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 06:11:31 pm »
Thanks!

Offline Barking_Mad

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 07:57:40 am »
I have a consistent problem trying to launch SDL projects in code::blocks.
When asked to specify the folder in which I have placed SDL, I get the error: "The folder seems valid, but this wizard could not find the file SDL.h in it".
The file is in there, in a subfolder ("include"). Is this a problem with the wizard?

CB Checks the include directory inside the specified SDL base directory (or root), but if you do as i did and unzip the SDL files as theyr are packaged, they will be placed in SDL_root\include\SDL, CB doesn't recognise them there. I copied them out to SDL_root\include and SDL templates and projects seem to run fine.

EDIT: Just read the better solution 2 posts up  :P
WooF! WooF! - Ubuntu 8.10 & CB 5432 & GCC 4.3.2
To see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower
To hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour - W.B

Derdonn

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 11:25:25 pm »
We are in March 2010 and the bug is still there in the SDL wizard : The first time I launched the wizard, a panel opened asking me to specify the search directories for SDL lib. I thought if I leave them empty it will select the default settings. These default setting are probably wrong and now this extra panel never shows up again.

I had to duplicate the header files both in include/. and include/sdl/. to fix the problem and keep my former projects working.

It's not a big deal but all theses bugs in CB Wizards always discouraged me from using CodeBlocks despite I'm glad this tool exists.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 12:33:37 am »
The patch I used about 6 to 12 months ago; feel free to submit to BerliOS with your name on it; I do not have the time and energy to test & maintain patches.

Note, It needs tested to verify it still works and was never tested on Linux.

Tim S.

Code
Index: src/plugins/scriptedwizard/resources/sdl/wizard.script
===================================================================
--- src/plugins/scriptedwizard/resources/sdl/wizard.script (revision 5680)
+++ src/plugins/scriptedwizard/resources/sdl/wizard.script (working copy)
@@ -47,8 +47,15 @@
         local dir_nomacro_inc = GetCompilerIncludeDir(dir, SDLPathDefault, SDLPathDefaultInc);
         if (dir_nomacro_inc.IsEmpty())
             return false;
-        if (!VerifyFile(dir_nomacro_inc, _T("SDL.h"), _T("SDL's include")))
-            return false;
+           
+        if (!IO.FileExists(dir_nomacro_inc + wxFILE_SEP_PATH + _T("SDL.h")))
+        {
+            if (VerifyFile(dir_nomacro_inc, _T("SDL/SDL.h"), _T("SDL's include")))
+                SDLPathDefaultInc = SDLPathDefaultInc + _T("/SDL");
+            else
+                return false;
+        }
+       

// verify library dependencies
         local dir_nomacro_lib = GetCompilerLibDir(dir, SDLPathDefault, SDLPathDefaultLib);
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org