Author Topic: please help a novice  (Read 22892 times)

Offline kobby30

• Single posting newcomer
please help a novice
« on: March 03, 2010, 05:54:58 am »
i'm very new at this c++, bought the book c++ for dummies, i tried the first project the hello one. No console came up and i have typed everything correctly.
secondly i keep getting this message at the bottom............"hello - Debug" uses an invalid compiler [YOUR ANSWER IS ALREADY THERE. SEARCH THE FORUMS!]. Skipping...
Nothing to be done.

someone please direct me to the right settings or something. i've been sat here almost 10 hours. I dont know if its the windows 7 im using or something. thanks.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: please help a novice
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 06:10:22 am »
You should tell us the information like which version of your (OS, C::B, compiler...), also the steps your create your project. otherwise, we can't help you.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline kobby30

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 06:37:24 am »
oh ok.....the version of my os is 64 bit operating system, windows 7 home edition, processor is AMD athlon(tm) neo x2 duo dual core....., c::B 8.02 , with the compiler when  i was installing i used the default GNU GCC compiler.
i followed the stepwise guide in the book ie creat a new project, then chose the console application, project title which is sayhello, but with the location i chosed a folder on ma desktop. then build....run nothing. please sort me out. thanks

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 06:41:17 am »
OK
C::B 8.02 ------too old, please a nightly build version.
also, the GCC is old too, please use a more recent gcc, such as TDM GCC.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline c0dezombie

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 10:20:29 pm »
Just download borlands free compiler then open codeblocks choose settings from the selected compiler drop down list choose borland compiler 5.5/... or it says something to that extent. I believe that borland C++ 5.5 is royalty free, and can be used for commercial use however I have not double checked.

le français

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 07:58:57 pm »
I've got the same problem, please help me I've got an eMachine with windows vista basic familial edition with intel celeron inside (sorry for the grammar error if there is, I'm french)

Offline Williamp

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 08:53:17 pm »
OK
C::B 8.02 ------too old, please a nightly build version.
also, the GCC is old too, please use a more recent gcc, such as TDM GCC.

Hi, I am a novice too. If C::B 8.02 is too old why is it still offered for download?
On the download page we find two installers;
codeblocks-8.02-setup.exe
codeblocks-8.02mingw-setup.exe

The second one has the compiler and debugger included.

If we should use the nightly build and the compiler is too old, how exactly should we proceed? What must we put on our system to follow the Wiki instructions and build Code::Blocks binaries with Code::Blocks... Kinda confusing to newbies...

Thanks for helping'

William

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 10:11:45 pm »

PLEASE READ; the compiler in the ABOVE IS NOT VISTA or Windows 7/6.1 Compatible.

Tim S.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:36:03 pm by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Williamp

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 02:58:39 am »

PLEASE READ; the compiler in the ABOVE IS NOT VISTA or Windows 7/6.1 Compatible.

Tim S.

PLEASE READ: Nowhere did I say, suggest or otherwise intimate that I ran those operating systems.

I use Win XP Pro SP2 and the fact that I am a newbie with this C::B Integrated Development Environment, Tim, in no wise conveys that I am a nitwit, nincompoop or otherwise incompetent with general Windows operations. In fact I am blown away that you don't even answer the question and instead simply assume that everybody has adopted the White Vista Elephant. So, could you (or anyone who actually knows) please answer the question WITHOUT shouting?

-

Addendum: I just found I am not alone in my confusion about compiling Code::Blocks with Code::Blocks as the second message on this discussion page at the Wiki Installation tutorial shows.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 03:12:11 am by Williamp »

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 03:55:48 am »
PLEASE READ: Nowhere did I say, suggest or otherwise intimate that I ran those operating systems.

I use Win XP Pro SP2 and the fact that I am a newbie with this C::B Integrated Development Environment, Tim, in no wise conveys that I am a nitwit, nincompoop or otherwise incompetent with general Windows operations. In fact I am blown away that you don't even answer the question and instead simply assume that everybody has adopted the White Vista Elephant. So, could you (or anyone who actually knows) please answer the question WITHOUT shouting?
-
Addendum: I just found I am not alone in my confusion about compiling Code::Blocks with Code::Blocks as the second message on this discussion page at the Wiki Installation tutorial shows.

Best practice would be to first search for and download the above mentioned compiler, TDM GCC.  Googling for just those two words will give you the correct results as the very first result which is a link to http://www.tdragon.net/recentgcc/.  I've personally had issues with the On-Demand Installer from that page sometimes not getting the files from sourceforge properly but I've never had the Bundled Installer fail me yet.  So get it.  Make sure you choose the most recent version of everything which should be roughly 4.4.1-2 gcc (DONT bother with an earlier version, 4.4.1-2 is stable) and whatever others are selected.  Also make sure you install the gdb debugger which is in the same installer.

After that head over to the Nightly Builds forum and download the wxWidgets dll file mentioned in the most recent nightly build topic. Since you ran the installer for gcc above you will already have the mingw dll in your system path and dont need to download it from the forum link.  Also get the CodeBlocks archive itself.   Unzip it where ever you wish and put the wxwidgets dll you got a minute ago in the folder side by side with the codeblocks exe.

At this point you are ready to use a recent codeblocks build for whatever you want.  If you want to build codeblocks SVN itself you will also need to install wxWidgets developement libraries which you can get a link to from the wiki

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 09:24:27 pm »

Tim S.

FYI:

If you hijack a thread it is normal to believe all info you DO NOT SAY matches that of the main person in the thread.

Tim S.

--

Offline Williamp

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 07:08:18 am »

Tim S.

FYI:

If you hijack a thread it is normal to believe all info you DO NOT SAY matches that of the main person in the thread.

Tim S.

Tim, I did not mean to hijack anything. I suppose I could have stated that I am using WinXP. Other than the OS version, however, my question was identical to the thread opener's and I did not think I should open a new thread for that inviting some smart alec answer that way. You on the other hand could learn to exercise restraint and not immediately assume people can't read giving you unwarranted cause to shout, agreed?

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 10:53:22 pm »
No.

The number of ignorant posters is very high; if you do not know how to ask a clear and concise question when you hi-jack a thread; anyone would assume you had similar info or that you were a complete idiot to hi-jack an off subject thread. Two of the prior people in the thread had Windows 6.0/6.1; therefore, I highlighted for the ones having reading difficulty that the Compiler with 8.02 is NOT Vista Compatible.

FYI, I  [half-way] answered ONE of your topics; if you wish to get no replies without a full and complete answer I suggest you go to another world; Earth is not a world where full and complete answers are common.

Tim S.  
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 10:59:28 pm by stahta01 »
--

Offline Williamp

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 03:13:02 am »
Regardless of the surly insults above, I want to belatedly thank Seronis for a most complete answer. Your information was succinct and clear enough for me to get it going. Thank you very much. And thank you for showing that there are people on Earth after all that can give replies with full and complete answers :)

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 04:58:14 am »
Regardless of the surly insults above, I want to belatedly thank Seronis for a most complete answer. Your information was succinct and clear enough for me to get it going. Thank you very much. And thank you for showing that there are people on Earth after all that can give replies with full and complete answers :)

If you would have searched our forum (or google), you would have found the answer yourself.
Not searching is violating our forums (and the most others forums) rules.
Not searching shows your are either to arrogant or to lazy to find a solution yourself.

OpenSource development does not mean to wait for others to do your homework.