Author Topic: Graphics Libraries that work with codeblocks  (Read 32613 times)

Offline CodeGuy

• Multiple posting newcomer
Graphics Libraries that work with codeblocks
« on: February 18, 2010, 05:02:00 am »
I want to try some experiments with graphics, but I need a graphics library for codeblocks. Does anyone know of a good library, and how would I use it with codeblocks? I've never used a library before.

Another thing I would like to do is be able to create GUI programs (like a message window asking for an OK on something for example).

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
Re: Graphics Libraries that work with codeblocks
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 05:07:56 am »
Look up the QT or wxWidgets frameworks for gui app developement.  Or google for a tutorial on OpenGL or DirectX.   more advice than that though delvs into the realm of  'general programing' which is explicitely forbidden in the forum rules (ya know that sticky topic in the thread that says READ BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS).  Questions about how to use codeblocks will be answered.   In general questions about how to program will not.   Try  irc channel  #c++-basic   for more info  (google if you dont know what irc is).

Offline CodeGuy

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 05:38:51 am »
Ok thanks, I have a problem: I can't compile my first program with codeblocks. It keeps telling that the debugger executable is not set, and that I need to go to Settings>Compiler and Debugger> and then to the programs tab. There is not a programs tab. I spent ten minutes doing this over and over and there is no tab named that.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 07:15:13 am »
I spent ten minutes doing this over and over and there is no tab named that.
That happens if you tell nothing about your configuration / version etc. The tab is called "Toolchain executables" in your version most likely. Sometimes it's also worth not just trying a "pattern matching" but probably think what this could mean: An executable is not set -> on what tab are executables being set...?!

In addition: The debugger must be installed separately if you didn't use an installer that installs the debugger for you, too. The compiler suite is splitted into separate packages, so is the debugger. Search the forums on that topic - there is plenty of information about this.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline CodeGuy

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 06:54:21 pm »
That happens if you tell nothing about your configuration / version etc. The tab is called "Toolchain executables" in your version most likely. Sometimes it's also worth not just trying a "pattern matching" but probably think what this could mean: An executable is not set -> on what tab are executables being set...?!

In addition: The debugger must be installed separately if you didn't use an installer that installs the debugger for you, too. The compiler suite is splitted into separate packages, so is the debugger. Search the forums on that topic - there is plenty of information about this.

That is very unhelpful. I told nothing about my config and version? Tell who? C::B or this forum? First of all, I don't even know what the difference is between a compiler, and an IDE. Another forum suggested that I use code::blocks, some time ago, and I decided I would use it after nearly a month trying to get another compiler working. All I want to do I program, and so far I've done nothing because whatever compiler/ide/whatever has been completely useless. None of them work! I'm sick of all the hoops I have to jump through to get something to work, when it should work right from the get go!

I searched the forum, and I found none of this "plenty of information" about this. I barely know what to search for! Why have me spend time searching when you can easily provide the answer? That is completely inefficient!

Do I sense hostility? If you're going to be a jerk, like 90% of all other forums out there, I'm going to be a jerk right back, and abandon C::B and find another compiler worth using and you'll have one less user on your hands!

Or google for a tutorial on OpenGL or DirectX.

Why would I do that? I'm sick of reading tutorials, I want to do SOMETHING! I liked a certain language, it had graphics built in. I can't use it though because the stupid compiler, the only one that works with it, does not work and no one is willing to help me fix it anymore. I've bumped the topic multiple times, and still no help. I can't even use the other compiler by the same company for C++, because that is nearly identical and doesn't work. You cannot begin to comprehend my frustration!!!

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 07:55:10 pm »
Or google for a tutorial on OpenGL or DirectX.

Why would I do that? I'm sick of reading tutorials, I want to do SOMETHING!

If you are not willing to learn by reading, you should give up programming.

If you do not even know the difference between a compiler and an IDE, you should start posting in an absolute beginners forum or do something totally different.

You seem to be in the wrong place here.

We neither provide information for each and any library or compiler, nor do we teach programming, we "just" develop an IDE that can make use of them.

If you're going to be a jerk, like 90% of all other forums out there, I'm going to be a jerk right back, and abandon C::B and find another compiler worth using and you'll have one less user on your hands!

Good bye!

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 11:22:55 pm »
If you're going to be a jerk, like 90% of all other forums out there, I'm going to be a jerk right back, and abandon C::B and find another compiler worth using and you'll have one less user on your hands!

Good bye!

lol  :D, unbelievable  :shock:, people seems to think that they are paying for support or something like that, what is happening?  :lol: Something like that could be said to a for profit company giving bad user support but for a free open source project that is not even earning any money from such users lmao  :lol: I just keep reading this forum even im not active developing in c/c++ just to have fun on what users post here  :D

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 01:24:25 am »
You realize you did not specify what OS you are using.  You did not say what version of C::B you are trying to get working.  Did you try to click the link at the top of THIS VERY PAGE that says "wiki" ?  As wikis are designed to do, C::Bs wiki has a lot of highly organized information. It will tell you how to install it on multiple operating systems and those instructions are written out in a manner that my 10 year old step son followed on his own.  Did you google  "how to install codeblocks on <insert OS here>" ?   Did you try to go to the irc channel I mentioned above?  If so I didnt see you there.   While it would be simple enough to write out the instructions here YOU WOULD STILL BE REQUIRED TO READ THEM and why should I write something that is already written down in enough other places that you would find it if you only looked.

Offline benkenobi01

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 12:43:56 pm »
Any graphic library that works with C or C++. Btw setting the environment is a big part of the work you dont just go and press a simple button "make my program work".
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 12:46:26 pm by benkenobi01 »

Offline CodeGuy

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 01:37:41 pm »
If you are not willing to learn by reading, you should give up programming.

That's an assumption. I am willing to learn, but I'm sick and tired of it, I want to start doing stuff as I said before. I've done enough reading for my taste.

I don't know why you're all asking me about how I installed codeblocks, I have it installed on windows vista, and as the download link said, MingW doesn't work with windows vista, so I downloaded the other binary executable. I think the version is codeblocks 8.02.

I checked the wiki, I couldn't find any help on this matter. I searched google, the wiki, and this forum and couldn't find anything useful. I found a few threads asking the same exact question with little to no help provided. I did find one thread about something called GDB, downloaded from MingW, that the person couldn't get working. If I downloaded it I wouldn't know where to put it or how to get it to work with codeblocks.

What is MingW anyway? What is the point of code blocks if it is just an add on to other compilers?

I can understand setting up the environment for a 3d modeling program, the settings actually affect the work, but in a compiler like code blocks?? What exactly would "setting up the environment" help with?

Offline rcoll

• Almost regular
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 01:55:13 pm »
This isn't really the place to ask your kinds of questions.  This place is about an IDE named Code::BLocks, not about programming.  You are not getting any usefull answers because you are not asking the right people.

There are a lot of other forums out there that can help you.  Find one that specializes in graphics programming for Windows; believe me, they will overwhelm you with the amount of information they have.

Ringo

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 04:57:27 pm »
[...] believe me, they will overwhelm you with the amount of information they have.

But it has to be read and that seems to be a problem.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 05:05:10 pm »
But it has to be read and that seems to be a problem.

I think the understanding is the second problem.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline CodeGuy

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 01:32:16 am »
I think the understanding is the second problem.

Yes, what I don't "under-stand" is why you keep telling me my questions have to do with coding, when they do not. I know how to include a file full of functions for use in my programs (forgot what they're called) but what I don't know is where to put these files so they are found by the compiler/ide/whatever.

You all seem to think I need help with getting a graphics library to work, that is true, but beside the point. Right now I need to figure out how to get my program to debug. I can't find the information on how to do this anywhere, and since you think I need help with coding/this graphics library thing would you PLEASE read the entire thread!

My other questions had nothing to do with coding, you said I needed to set up the environment, how does that help me?

Btw setting the environment is a big part of the work you dont just go and press a simple button "make my program work".

Pressing a simple button and the program debugging is all that I've ever experienced in the past. Why should code::blocks be any different?

So much time has been fucking wasted, my frustration builds!

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 04:05:01 am »
Why should code::blocks be any different?

Because Code::Blocks is an IDE that works with more than one make of C/C++ Compiler.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 07:37:53 am »
Why should code::blocks be any different?
Because Code::Blocks is an IDE that works with more than one make of C/C++ Compiler.
Not to forget: ...and works with more than one debugger. So you'll need at least install the right debugger and setup it correctly. Consult the WiKi how to do that.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

Offline rcoll

• Almost regular
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 07:43:22 am »
Pressing a simple button and the program debugging is all that I've ever experienced in the past. Why should code::blocks be any different?

Then, in the past, you have used more simple systems; probably the type of systems schools use to teach students.

But Code::Blocks is one of the most advanced (and therefore complicated) build systems in the world today.  Don't let the price (i.e. free) fool you, this is NOT a system to learn on.  This is for advanced software engineers who have a specific goal in mind, and a specific plan on how to get there.

So much time has been fucking wasted, my frustration builds!

This is going to be true for every new system that you ever use.  Be nice, be patient, and all will come to you in time.

Ringo

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 08:51:06 am »
CodeGuy, you're still here?  :P

Have you read this: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,9996.0.html ?

If you want to be a c++ programmer change your attitude else you're doomed!
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline benkenobi01

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 01:46:50 pm »
codeguy, i dont understand your problem. first of all install codeblocks:

1)http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/5   (choose the codeblocks-8.02mingw-setup.exe)
2) make a hello world test
3)use glut.h and gl.h to start playing with the OpenGL graphic library.

if codeblocks is too hard to set up for you you could start with :  http://www.microsoft.com/express/Windows/
wich is a free ide.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:03:58 pm by benkenobi01 »

Offline CodeGuy

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 04:49:31 am »
Sorry, I've been an ass.

Should I download the mingw installer? I have vista, and the webpage I got it from said mingw is unstable on vista.

I don't know how to use the openGL library. Do I need to download it? How do I get it to work with my program? I know how to code it into my program somewhat (#include<iostream.h> for example) but not how to get it to find that header and work with my program. I did try MVSE, but it won't install on my machine. They won't help me at the forums for that compiler, that is the one I prefer because it is the only one that runs the language I like (a microsoft language, VB.net, I'm just comfortable with it and the hassle required to get libraries working (something I don't know how to do) makes me lean more to that than any other language)). They were helping for a while but I got busy and stopped posting for about 4 days, then no matter how many bumps I make no one will even reply! Its as if they see my name as the last reply and assume I got my problems fixed!

The problem is that when I try and run a hello world! Program, I get a message box saying that the debugger executable is not set and I need to set it by going into some menu tab and find the programs tab then change something. I went there, and couldn't find a programs tab. That is the main problem, how do I set the debugger executable? I run windows vista, and I downloaded and installed the non MingW executable installer.

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 05:04:18 am »
1.  install MinGW from http://www.tdragon.net/recentgcc/.   Its vista/win7 friendly.
2.  install codeblocks that DOES NOT include a bundled mingw.  Preference is to install the latest 'nightly release' avialable from the forums.  if you get the one from the forums make certain you dont forget to download the  wxWidgets dll that is mentioned in addition to the CB archive.
3.  its   #include <iostream>   in C++ for standard headers.   no  *.h
4.  as for your debugger issue  TDMs installer will install a compatible debugger at the same time
5.  if i recall right opengl headers are already in a standard install and dont need seperate installation

See how well that info helps you out and post back.  At a minimum that should be enough for you to have 'hello world' compile and debugable.

Offline CodeGuy

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 05:35:54 am »
I did all that Seronis, it debugs/compiles, but now I'm getting errors from a perfect hello world program.

Here's a pic:

http://img32.imageshack.us/i/69995552.jpg/

Also when I try and debug with another project, nothing happens. The program just sits there.

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 06:36:51 am »
well  <iostream>  isnt a legal  'C'  library.   Only 'C++'.   you created a C project judging by the extension on your file names.

Offline CodeGuy

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 02:37:55 pm »
Ok, why are they always C? I made a new file, and its back to giving me that error about the debugger executable. Do I need to install the mingw somewhere in the code::blocks directory?

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 08:11:28 pm »
Look:
By definition:
- *.c files are C files (guess what the extension stands for), so they are operated by the C compiler.
- *.cpp (*.cc, *.c++, *.cxx...) files are C++ files and are operated by the C++ compiler.

Don't put C++ code in C files, otherwise the C compiler will complain and error (as it doesn't not know C++). However, you can put C code in C++ files.

Offline CodeGuy

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 12:48:30 am »
Yes I knew that, but how do I create a C++ file? I've been going to File>New>Project then selecting empty project (since I'm not doing anything with ogre, or lightfeather or whatever). Then I go back to File>New>empty file. I did some searching and that didn't help. I typed .cpp after the filename when creating a new file, the second step, but again I get the debugger problem! How do I make sure its compiling or whatever as a C++ file, and how do I get it to debug once I've done that???

Offline evstevemd

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 01:30:56 am »
I guess with full respect you need to brush up some concept:
1. What is Compiler
2. What is source code and hence source code editor
3. What is C/C++ their basic difference
4, What is Ide

Once done on that (Some few hours may be), Start with some forums that specializes on C++ like my favorite DaniWeb forum. If you have Code::Block problem then you come back here  :D
IMHO
Steve

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 07:42:12 am »
- File>New>Project then selecting empty project
- File>New>empty file
If you do this, the file is not yet added to the project. To do so, you'll either go to the project options and add the file there or you use File -> New -> File... -> C/C++ header or C/C++ Source and answer the following queries right.

"File -> New empty file" does exactly that: Only create a new empty file. Not belonging to a project. Nothing.

Offline CodeGuy

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 03:08:29 am »
WHY won't you tell me how to get the fricking thing to compile?! I've asked you multiple times and every single time you've skirted around it! The information on this is NOWHERE else I've searched! Google, the forum search, reading the forum stickies whatever! Its NOWHERE!

I know the difference between C and C++, I know they are two separate programming languages, but are very close in syntax and function because they were developed by the same person and derived from each other. Those other things you are suggesting I research are a good idea I will look into that.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 06:34:03 am »
WHY won't you tell me how to get the fricking thing to compile?!
Because I don't understand that question. Once you've added the file to a project just hit the compile button. (If that's what you are asking for.) Consult the C::B documentation if in doubt where this button is.

Offline CodeGuy

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 06:20:56 pm »
Ok, I click on debug/continue to start debugging, and this appears and it won't let me do anything:

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2010, 06:34:37 pm »
Ok, I click on debug/continue to start debugging, and this appears and it won't let me do anything:
So why don't you do what's written in the message?

Also read this again:
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,12040.msg81824.html#msg81824

I've the feeling we are moving in circles...

Edit:
To close this discussion: Have a look at the image attached. Also read the sentence in red on that dialog. Use your explorer to verify.

(Topic locked as further discussion leads to nowhere.)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:55:10 pm by MortenMacFly »