Author Topic: 8.03 release?  (Read 38882 times)

Offline calzakk

• Single posting newcomer
    • Cyotec Systems
8.03 release?
« on: January 20, 2010, 11:00:57 pm »
Can anybody say when the next official release is expected? 8.02 was a long time ago!

TIA

Offline blueshake

• Regular
Re: 8.03 release?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:59:43 am »
It seems many people want an official release.why not try nightly build. :D
Keep low and hear the sadness of little dog.
I fall in love with a girl,but I don't dare to tell her.What should I do?

Offline TerryP

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • My journal
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 02:05:07 am »
I've often wondered when that will be, since 1.0RC days. They changed to a Ubuntu style versioning number, so 8.03 is unlikely to be the next stable release.

You can always use a nightly build, the one form 2010-01-16 is quite stable (at least on XP), and it's possible to follow development and compile your own whenever `interesting` features are added. I can verify that the trunk works better on FreeBSD, then 8.02 :-D
Just Another Computer Geek

Offline AlexN

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Alex's Link Sammlung
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 07:13:22 pm »
Can anybody say when the next official release is expected? 8.02 was a long time ago!

TIA

If they build a new stable release today, it would be 10.01, because the first number is the year and the second the month.
best regards
 Alex ;)

Offline calzakk

• Single posting newcomer
    • Cyotec Systems
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 11:42:02 pm »
The point of the question is that some people will only use an official, tested and stable release. There are probably lots who won't go near a nightly build (including myself).

I admit I know nothing about how Code::Blocks is developed and built, but it seems to me that there isn't a plan. Don't shout back at me if I'm wrong, just put me straight, because Code::Blocks is one of the best C++ IDEs out there and I do appreciate what the devs are doing  :)

I'd suggest targeting for regular milestone releases (every six months?) that have been tested and deemed good and stable enough for general use. How about aiming for a 10.02 release?  :wink:

Just my two cents' worth...

zabzonk

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 11:01:08 am »
I'd just like to add a thought on the "official release" debate. I use the nightlies with no problems, but I also recommend CB to newbies very frequently on StackOverflow. and it's hard to explain to a newbie there all the steps they have to go through to get something reasonably up to date, and that will actually work. The result must be that a lot of fledgling C++ programmers are put off using CB and go elsewhere, to the eventual detriment of the community. An official release, or perhaps an "on-demand" installer would be very helpful to these people.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 11:17:35 am »
An official release, or perhaps an "on-demand" installer would be very helpful to these people.
What about simply renaming "nightlies" to "releases"?
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

zabzonk

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 11:30:42 am »
What about simply renaming "nightlies" to "releases"?

Well, the nightly is just one part of the problem, there's MinGW, the documentation etc. as well. Getting a working setup isn't too hard, but a lot of these people are not techno sophisticates. Thinking about it, I may have  a go at writing a StackOverflow question  & answer that describes all the steps, for Windows at least.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 11:32:22 am by zabzonk »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 02:02:30 pm »
My general opinion on that topic:

If one is willing to start a project as an "official" release provider, step forward. I think it can be quite "easy", skills required are:
- you need at least to be able to compile wxWidgets and C::B yourself using the official sources and build tools
- you need to be able to update / run NSIS on Windows to create the installer
- you need to be able to provide packages for linus (e.g. deb) -> forum people may help here

For the setup I can imagine:
- we candidate a certain nightly for an official release
- after a few more nights (hehe) if no true show-stopper occur we agree that this is a new release candidate
- all packaging is done (including setting up a new version number)
- releases are officially provided to the C::B dev team for testing (basically "installing")
- releases are delivered to a C::B admin and will be propagated through our server

We could agree on doing that at round-about every quarter or half of a year. I'd propose the latter which means two times i the year the volunteer needs to get into action.

So... Who is willing and has the skills and time to do that?
Keep in mind: This should *not* be a short term support, but rather a long term support.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 02:44:34 pm »
If one is willing to start a project as an "official" release provider, step forward. I think it can be quite "easy", skills required are:
1 - you need at least to be able to compile wxWidgets and C::B yourself using the official sources and build tools
2 - you need to be able to update / run NSIS on Windows to create the installer
3 - you need to be able to provide packages for linus (e.g. deb) -> forum people may help here

1. Why one needs to compile anything, killerbot does that well for the nightlies and we can use the binaries from there?
2. I can update the installer from time to time, when a plugin/file is added, but I can't provide the resulting executable because my windows has viruses and I don't care to remove them.
3. Why would we care about the distros? If we have a release, that is easy to build, fetch and so on. They will build/update their packages.
4. On windows, will we bundle a compiler? Which one mingw or TDM?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 02:54:56 pm »
I believe we have enough persons available to make a release. We don't need another dev to do that (though new devs are always welcome). Most important think we need is "Our Willingness to Release Regularly". We do have several Linux/Mac packagers with us and Killerbot can package for Windows platform. I don't see any reason that we can't make a release at the moment.
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 02:58:10 pm »
I don't see any reason that we can't make a release at the moment.
I do. Yiannis has basically no time. Without him we are lost.

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 03:21:44 pm »
I don't see any reason that we can't make a release at the moment.
I do. Yiannis has basically no time. Without him we are lost.

Sorry. I can't agree on this. :)

Absence of devs can always happen in an Open-source project. We have our regular jobs to do to earn our bread and butter. On top of that our family also needs a fair bit of time from us. During this economic crisis our job life has become even tougher. So when we combine them we may not have enough time for C::B, which is fair enough.

However the project should not suffer due to absence of dev/project leader. You can consult with Yiannis if necessary and just get his "OK" message through chat. If we are unable to contact him, we can also consult Thomas on this.

What I mean is we should commit ourselves on releasing a new build at a timely interval. It's really needed for the benefit of C::B.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 03:34:28 pm »
What I mean is we should commit ourselves on releasing a new build at a timely interval.
Agreed. Still: We do have a lot to do for a release which is a high workload. For example: Collecting all packages (of one stream-line); editing the webpage and updating it to a new version, upload binaries, update links etc. This can only be done by a person with edit rights on our webpage and (at least) upload rights at BerliOS. That's why I've proposed to kind of "outsource" packaging to a motivated (new?!) team member with nothing else but doing that. I think it's enough work already and IMHO exactly the reason why nothing but nightlies happens.

I can't do all of that because I am not producing packages for any other OS than Windows and I simply don't have the time. And I don't see any of us being able to do that alone. So it must be a collaborate work (as always). Hence on co-coordinator that knows what to do can track and collect everything needed whenever it's time for a release. If anyone of us is willing to do that step forward. If its a team member I don't mind.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 03:38:07 pm by MortenMacFly »

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 05:14:45 pm »
What I mean is we should commit ourselves on releasing a new build at a timely interval.
I can't do all of that because I am not producing packages for any other OS than Windows and I simply don't have the time. And I don't see any of us being able to do that alone. So it must be a collaborate work (as always). Hence on co-coordinator that knows what to do can track and collect everything needed whenever it's time for a release. If anyone of us is willing to do that step forward. If its a team member I don't mind.

Agreed, it's a lot of work to do.

Due to lack of time I also can't commit on taking care of entire release process. However I can do a part of it (e.g., coordinating the release process by collecting and publishing binary or even more if needed). We need to discuss this in details on who should be responsible for which part of the process.

But before that we all need to agree on one thing - that is we'll be releasing within a reasonable period of time (say within 2-3 months). We can definitely sort out things thereafter.