Author Topic: 8.03 release?  (Read 38875 times)

Offline calzakk

• Single posting newcomer
    • Cyotec Systems
8.03 release?
« on: January 20, 2010, 11:00:57 pm »
Can anybody say when the next official release is expected? 8.02 was a long time ago!

TIA

Offline blueshake

• Regular
Re: 8.03 release?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:59:43 am »
It seems many people want an official release.why not try nightly build. :D
Keep low and hear the sadness of little dog.
I fall in love with a girl,but I don't dare to tell her.What should I do?

Offline TerryP

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • My journal
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 02:05:07 am »
I've often wondered when that will be, since 1.0RC days. They changed to a Ubuntu style versioning number, so 8.03 is unlikely to be the next stable release.

You can always use a nightly build, the one form 2010-01-16 is quite stable (at least on XP), and it's possible to follow development and compile your own whenever `interesting` features are added. I can verify that the trunk works better on FreeBSD, then 8.02 :-D
Just Another Computer Geek

Offline AlexN

• Alex's Link Sammlung
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 07:13:22 pm »
Can anybody say when the next official release is expected? 8.02 was a long time ago!

TIA

If they build a new stable release today, it would be 10.01, because the first number is the year and the second the month.
best regards
 Alex ;)

Offline calzakk

• Cyotec Systems
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 11:42:02 pm »
The point of the question is that some people will only use an official, tested and stable release. There are probably lots who won't go near a nightly build (including myself).

I admit I know nothing about how Code::Blocks is developed and built, but it seems to me that there isn't a plan. Don't shout back at me if I'm wrong, just put me straight, because Code::Blocks is one of the best C++ IDEs out there and I do appreciate what the devs are doing  :)

I'd suggest targeting for regular milestone releases (every six months?) that have been tested and deemed good and stable enough for general use. How about aiming for a 10.02 release?  :wink:

Just my two cents' worth...

zabzonk

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 11:01:08 am »
I'd just like to add a thought on the "official release" debate. I use the nightlies with no problems, but I also recommend CB to newbies very frequently on StackOverflow. and it's hard to explain to a newbie there all the steps they have to go through to get something reasonably up to date, and that will actually work. The result must be that a lot of fledgling C++ programmers are put off using CB and go elsewhere, to the eventual detriment of the community. An official release, or perhaps an "on-demand" installer would be very helpful to these people.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 11:17:35 am »
An official release, or perhaps an "on-demand" installer would be very helpful to these people.
What about simply renaming "nightlies" to "releases"?
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

zabzonk

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 11:30:42 am »
What about simply renaming "nightlies" to "releases"?

Well, the nightly is just one part of the problem, there's MinGW, the documentation etc. as well. Getting a working setup isn't too hard, but a lot of these people are not techno sophisticates. Thinking about it, I may have  a go at writing a StackOverflow question  & answer that describes all the steps, for Windows at least.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 11:32:22 am by zabzonk »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 02:02:30 pm »
My general opinion on that topic:

If one is willing to start a project as an "official" release provider, step forward. I think it can be quite "easy", skills required are:
- you need at least to be able to compile wxWidgets and C::B yourself using the official sources and build tools
- you need to be able to update / run NSIS on Windows to create the installer
- you need to be able to provide packages for linus (e.g. deb) -> forum people may help here

For the setup I can imagine:
- we candidate a certain nightly for an official release
- after a few more nights (hehe) if no true show-stopper occur we agree that this is a new release candidate
- all packaging is done (including setting up a new version number)
- releases are officially provided to the C::B dev team for testing (basically "installing")
- releases are delivered to a C::B admin and will be propagated through our server

We could agree on doing that at round-about every quarter or half of a year. I'd propose the latter which means two times i the year the volunteer needs to get into action.

So... Who is willing and has the skills and time to do that?
Keep in mind: This should *not* be a short term support, but rather a long term support.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 02:44:34 pm »
If one is willing to start a project as an "official" release provider, step forward. I think it can be quite "easy", skills required are:
1 - you need at least to be able to compile wxWidgets and C::B yourself using the official sources and build tools
2 - you need to be able to update / run NSIS on Windows to create the installer
3 - you need to be able to provide packages for linus (e.g. deb) -> forum people may help here

1. Why one needs to compile anything, killerbot does that well for the nightlies and we can use the binaries from there?
2. I can update the installer from time to time, when a plugin/file is added, but I can't provide the resulting executable because my windows has viruses and I don't care to remove them.
3. Why would we care about the distros? If we have a release, that is easy to build, fetch and so on. They will build/update their packages.
4. On windows, will we bundle a compiler? Which one mingw or TDM?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 02:54:56 pm »
I believe we have enough persons available to make a release. We don't need another dev to do that (though new devs are always welcome). Most important think we need is "Our Willingness to Release Regularly". We do have several Linux/Mac packagers with us and Killerbot can package for Windows platform. I don't see any reason that we can't make a release at the moment.
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 02:58:10 pm »
I don't see any reason that we can't make a release at the moment.
I do. Yiannis has basically no time. Without him we are lost.

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 03:21:44 pm »
I don't see any reason that we can't make a release at the moment.
I do. Yiannis has basically no time. Without him we are lost.

Sorry. I can't agree on this. :)

Absence of devs can always happen in an Open-source project. We have our regular jobs to do to earn our bread and butter. On top of that our family also needs a fair bit of time from us. During this economic crisis our job life has become even tougher. So when we combine them we may not have enough time for C::B, which is fair enough.

However the project should not suffer due to absence of dev/project leader. You can consult with Yiannis if necessary and just get his "OK" message through chat. If we are unable to contact him, we can also consult Thomas on this.

What I mean is we should commit ourselves on releasing a new build at a timely interval. It's really needed for the benefit of C::B.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 03:34:28 pm »
What I mean is we should commit ourselves on releasing a new build at a timely interval.
Agreed. Still: We do have a lot to do for a release which is a high workload. For example: Collecting all packages (of one stream-line); editing the webpage and updating it to a new version, upload binaries, update links etc. This can only be done by a person with edit rights on our webpage and (at least) upload rights at BerliOS. That's why I've proposed to kind of "outsource" packaging to a motivated (new?!) team member with nothing else but doing that. I think it's enough work already and IMHO exactly the reason why nothing but nightlies happens.

I can't do all of that because I am not producing packages for any other OS than Windows and I simply don't have the time. And I don't see any of us being able to do that alone. So it must be a collaborate work (as always). Hence on co-coordinator that knows what to do can track and collect everything needed whenever it's time for a release. If anyone of us is willing to do that step forward. If its a team member I don't mind.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 03:38:07 pm by MortenMacFly »

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 05:14:45 pm »
What I mean is we should commit ourselves on releasing a new build at a timely interval.
I can't do all of that because I am not producing packages for any other OS than Windows and I simply don't have the time. And I don't see any of us being able to do that alone. So it must be a collaborate work (as always). Hence on co-coordinator that knows what to do can track and collect everything needed whenever it's time for a release. If anyone of us is willing to do that step forward. If its a team member I don't mind.

Agreed, it's a lot of work to do.

Due to lack of time I also can't commit on taking care of entire release process. However I can do a part of it (e.g., coordinating the release process by collecting and publishing binary or even more if needed). We need to discuss this in details on who should be responsible for which part of the process.

But before that we all need to agree on one thing - that is we'll be releasing within a reasonable period of time (say within 2-3 months). We can definitely sort out things thereafter.

mariocup

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 10:27:00 pm »
Hi Biplab,

I agree that it is a lot of work and therefore we should define the responsibilities. I have a long todo list for the user manual and I plan to integrate all these changes in the beginning of February.

We should decide which patches or plug-ins should be integrated before the release.
- Multiline S &R ??
- FileManager Plug-in ???

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 10:10:23 am »
- Multiline S &R ??
From my point of view (as I am using this regularly): Yes, Yes.
Hence the Multiline S&R still has ugly UI glitches.

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 03:00:37 pm »
- Multiline S &R ??
From my point of view (as I am using this regularly): Yes, Yes.
Hence the Multiline S&R still has ugly UI glitches.

I believe FileManager plugin can be included. Multi-line S&R patch - I haven't used it so far. May be we push it to trunk. We can work on it in the meantime.

Offline TerryP

• My journal
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 08:51:27 am »
My general opinion on that topic:

- you need at least to be able to compile wxWidgets and C::B yourself using the official sources and build tools
- you need to be able to update / run NSIS on Windows to create the installer
- you need to be able to provide packages for linus (e.g. deb) -> forum people may help here

For the setup I can imagine:
- we candidate a certain nightly for an official release
- after a few more nights (hehe) if no true show-stopper occur we agree that this is a new release candidate
- all packaging is done (including setting up a new version number)
- releases are officially provided to the C::B dev team for testing (basically "installing")
- releases are delivered to a C::B admin and will be propagated through our server

We could agree on doing that at round-about every quarter or half of a year. I'd propose the latter which means two times i the year the volunteer needs to get into action.

So... Who is willing and has the skills and time to do that?
Keep in mind: This should *not* be a short term support, but rather a long term support.

I'm not familiar with how this project is organised, only that it's an excellent balance between producing a useful IDE, that's not fatter then mozilla in the process :-D.

This all involves leadership and planning, to practically quote Kerensky, a good solution applied with vigor immediately is better than a perfect solution ten minutes later. Someone in the development team should be tasked with creating a suitable OPORD0, outlining what needs to be done in order to get a `release` deployed. Things like what parts of the website need adjusting, how it's to be tested, which OS/PMS bundles to be created, et cetera. Doing that won't take long, assuming anyone knows what needs doing, and makes bringing support personal onboard a more trivial affair - ten minutes typing saves weeks out of a decade. Once that's written, wikify it to the public and edit it as FRAGOs1 are required.

It should be simple to define some kind of formal release policy and add it to the wiki. If C::B development is actually more then an occasional commit out of the blue, it could easily be arranged for a test cycle to be run every X months on the trunk (I assume all the devs run trunk or branches), then branch off a release from it once the cycle is completed: all show stoppers fixed since test cycle start, and hopefully no commits since breaking more then they fix. The nightly builds are kind of good for that ;). If C::B has much more regular pace of development, you could always just make a release equal to any suitable snapshot of the trunk at regular intervals, and just say the hell with it.... much like grabbing the latest and unstablist out of someones git repository.

Most of the website issues, could likely be scripted away with a bit of effort2, and suitable munging together to reduce the pain threshold for making the release files. It all depends on the particulars that are defined as necessary. It really depends on the effort people are willing to put into quality release engineering.

Just my two bits.

footnotes:

0: OPerations ORDer, a multi-paragraph order describing a military mission. Typically given a concise review of the situation, mission concept, execution details, and any prerequisite coordinating or logistical instructions.

1: FRAGmentary Order, some what like a hotfix or patch with updates/corrections to an OPORD.
1: depending on environment this may be easier or harder (e.g. needing to write a custom web robot)
Just Another Computer Geek

Offline Svenstaro

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 02:05:47 pm »
Stable release packages probably won't require pre-made packages for Linux because distributions will prefer to package those themselves. That is a lot of effort shaved off there.

Offline jaxon

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 05:49:51 pm »
Hi all.
Yes, release is needed as a user does NOT want to test a new build every time. He (she) wants a version, possibly not so recent, but stable - that was tested for a time and has some user callback for its stability. For example it may be a branch with no new functionality, but some patches applied.

I see that different nightles do have different stability and it is difficalt to find what is more or less stable.

Offline roxlu

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 10:48:17 pm »
Wow nice to see lot's of people are thinking/willing to work on a new release! I indeed think it's best for C::B as C::B is a IDE which is simple and straightforward for newbies.

Besides this, I've worked on a project wizard and tested it on Windows/Mac and someone else is testing a Ubuntu version. It's a wizard for www.openframeworks.cc and it would be wonderful if it would be part of the next release!

I'm also working on a description/document which explains in detail how one can build an application bundle for MacOS as the current documentation did not work for me (maybe due to lack of my experience, which could be clarified by my tutorials on how to build C::B on Mac OS 10.6).

Roxlu

Offline Kogrom

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 12:46:52 pm »
Everyone can make his own Simple Hobbyist Installer for Windows. It is not difficult. I made my installer, everyone can update it.

// Sorry for my English

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 04:14:21 pm »
Everyone can make his own Simple Hobbyist Installer for Windows. It is not difficult. I made my installer, everyone can update it.
It's not needed. The NSIS installer NSI file is in SVN and works out-of-the-box. That's not the real problem.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 05:12:52 pm »
Have you thought of running something like: http://hudson-ci.org/
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Kogrom

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 08:59:24 pm »
The NSIS installer NSI file is in SVN and works out-of-the-box. That's not the real problem.
I know. But NSI file in SVN is very hard to read because it in one file, hasn't clear structure. It uses not relative links. I have made a little bit better structure. I have divided into parts this big file, have used relative links, and have put the compiler, IDE, wxWidgets binaries in one archive (zip).  So, it easer to use, to update.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 09:01:35 pm by Kogrom »

Offline chikigai

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 01:10:34 am »
Just an observation, but here is one point of view from myself on the subject.

I've seen a lot of posts suggesting the use of the Latest Nightly Builds when one mentions the last stable release 8.02.
The same case with when one questions when the next stable release is due out.

When jumping from 8.02 to a latest Nightly Build, it is extremely difficult to determine what has actually changed if one simply downloads the binaries.
Some features are implemented differently. Some have been made redundant. Most of all, countless number of new features have been added.

It is easy for users like myself who have constantly been using the Nightly Builds to track the changes.
But for someone jumping from 8.02 to a latest Nightly, I imagine it would seem like using a different IDE.
Hence, there are some posts occasionally where one tried out a Nightly Build but immediately returned 8.02.

I am not aware of a page where all changes since the release of 8.02 are listed (Does one exist?).
Maybe at least a link to a page to something like the SVN change log on each Nightly Build thread might help users jumping from 8.02.

Again, this is an observation I have made reading recent posts across the forum.
I believe a new stable release would be beneficial in a number of ways, but at the same time understand the difficulties presented in this thread.
[Development Environment]
IDE: Code::Blocks Nightly Build SVN Rev.6080 wxWidgets: 2.8.10 Windows Unicode Build SVN: 1.6.x

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 02:16:23 am »

Offline chikigai

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 05:15:26 am »
chikigai: Here is your link: http://svn.berlios.de/wsvn/codeblocks/?op=log&rev=0&sc=0&isdir=1

Yes, this link may prove useful for some users jumping from 8.02 to a recent Nightly Build or between Nightly Builds.
I must say though, that it is not exactly a simple task to browse over 1000 logs and spot all changes (8.02 was based on Rev.4913).
I imagine most users reluctant to use a latest Nightly Build require a simplified summary of changes since the release of 8.02.
[Development Environment]
IDE: Code::Blocks Nightly Build SVN Rev.6080 wxWidgets: 2.8.10 Windows Unicode Build SVN: 1.6.x

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 07:37:06 am »
Not exactly what you mention but more readable: http://apt.jenslody.de/ChangeLog.

Offline calzakk

• Cyotec Systems
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 03:30:42 pm »
Not exactly what you mention but more readable: http://apt.jenslody.de/ChangeLog.

What you need for each release is:
1. a brief list of important changes in the release that everyone can read quickly;
2. a list of all other changes in the release that most people don't bother reading;
3. a list of every change ever made to the project (i.e. the above link).

The first two can be distributed with the release, the third can simply be linked to.

BTW, I'm really glad I kicked off this topic. I'm obviously not alone in thinking an official full release is long overdue, and I'm looking forward to the new release sometime in the near future, thanks in advance to everyone involved!  :)

Offline kencamargo

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2010, 01:17:51 pm »
BTW, I'm really glad I kicked off this topic. I'm obviously not alone in thinking an official full release is long overdue, and I'm looking forward to the new release sometime in the near future, thanks in advance to everyone involved!  :)

There's a poll running now on one of the wxwidgets fora for which IDE people are using:

http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?t=26916

Code::Blocks is leading so far, but that's not the reason I am posting this. It occurred to me that c::b may not be getting its fair shake due to lack of updated information. Although a new release might indeed be a good idea, may I suggest that at least the home page be changed? Someone arriving there looking for info will get the wrong impression, i.e. that c::b is stagnated for over two years, since only those "in the know" are familiar with the nightlies. Simply having a link to them in the front page doesn't cut it. I know that keeping documentation and web sites up to date can be a bitch, all I am suggesting is to scrub all the outdated information from the page (e.g. "a new version is coming soon"), and replace it with a short blurb about the nightlies, such as: "Code::Blocks is under intensive development. Improved versions are being constantly released as nightly builds. Despite being to a certain extent experimental, such builds are stable and under heavy use by large number of developers. Prospective users should go to the following url to get the most current version and information on how to install and use it", and then point to the appropriate forum post.

We (regular users) could provide small endorsements if the webmasters so wish, so that they could be put on the front page as well.

Regards,
Ken

rogerdv

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2010, 02:49:37 pm »
I would like to have a new release, but my reason s mostly that I need an updated gcc. I have tried to setup myself TDM, but then some things works and some dont work anymore. SO, I would prefer to receive an official package, made by more experienced people, with both an updated IDE and gcc.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2010, 03:47:09 pm »
I would like to have a new release, but my reason s mostly that I need an updated gcc. I have tried to setup myself TDM, but then some things works and some dont work anymore. SO, I would prefer to receive an official package, made by more experienced people, with both an updated IDE and gcc.

I prefer that Code::Blocks NEVER ship a compiler with it; because of all the dumb idiots who can not figure out how to install a compiler would NOT keep saying. I do NOT need to upgrade the gcc it came with C::B 8.02 it must work with Vista and Win 7. I hate wasting my time repeating to idiots you must UPGRADE MinGW GCC to a version that works with Windows 7 (Windows version 6.1).

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2010, 06:33:51 am »
I hate wasting my time repeating to idiots you must UPGRADE MinGW GCC to a version that works with Windows 7 (Windows version 6.1).

:shock:

:lol:

mariocup

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2010, 12:44:53 am »
@MortenMacFly:

I plan to update the CB docu within the next days, and tested some new features. In CB files can be removed from a project in serval ways:

1. In Project View via context menu
2. Hitting Del-Key in the Project view
3. Using the context menu in the active editor

If you build a project then  1. is disabled in the context menu, but 2. and 3. are still available while building. To avoid problems I suggest to disable "remove from project" functionality in all cases while building.

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2010, 03:56:17 am »
1. In Project View via context menu
2. Hitting Del-Key in the Project view
3. Using the context menu in the active editor

If you build a project then  1. is disabled in the context menu, but 2. and 3. are still available while building. To avoid problems I suggest to disable "remove from project" functionality in all cases while building.

Hi Mario,

This bug should be fixed in rev 6156. Please try the new code and post your feedback.

Regards,

Biplab

mariocup

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2010, 02:04:53 pm »
Hi,

@Biplab: Remove file from project seems to works fine now. Thanks.

Please try to reproduce the following behaviour.

If you click on an entry in the symbol browser e.g. a class with the left mouse button, then the content will be displayed in the "bottom tree". If you now click with the right mouse button in the bottom tree, then the context menu will not appear and the selection jumps always to the first entry of the bottom tree. If I select one entry with the left mouse button in the bottom tree, the context menu will be displayed correctly.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2010, 02:15:13 pm »

If you click on an entry in the symbol browser e.g. a class with the left mouse button, then the content will be displayed in the "bottom tree". If you now click with the right mouse button in the bottom tree, then the context menu will not appear and the selection jumps always to the first entry of the bottom tree. If I select one entry with the left mouse button in the bottom tree, the context menu will be displayed correctly.

Hi Mario,

you are on windows, right ?

Works fine on linux, I will look into it on windows.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2010, 02:45:18 pm »

Hi Mario,

you are on windows, right ?

Works fine on linux, I will look into it on windows.

No problems on W2K or on Vista, will test XP later.

mariocup

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2010, 04:08:32 pm »
Hi jens,

working with XP here (CB revision 6157).

mariocup

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2010, 12:20:49 am »
Hi,

I am trying to use the "enable multiple selection" feature, but it seems not to work correctly in my eyes.

If I select the first text passage with Crtl and the left mouse button then the selection is highlighted. If I select a different text then this selection disappears if I release the Crtl key and the cursor jumps to the beginning of this selection. But if I type a text then it will be inserted at the first selection and at the beginning of the second selection.

I tried different settings in the editor but I was not able to get it work. I know that I tested this feature some time ago and it worked as expected. Can anyone reproduce it?

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2010, 06:35:30 am »
I tried different settings in the editor but I was not able to get it work. I know that I tested this feature some time ago and it worked as expected. Can anyone reproduce it?
Can't try atm, but I've committed an update yesterday concerning multiple (rectangle) selections. Can you try again with trunk, please?!

mariocup

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2010, 06:43:56 pm »
Hi Martin,

to use the multiple selection feature, I have found out that it works with the following workflow, but I don't know if this behaviour is intended.

1. Select line/s (without holding Ctrl) by moving mouse (holding left mouse button).
2. Select a different line: Press the Ctrl-Key and then click the left mouse button to put the cursor at a position. After this release the left mouse button and start holding the Shift key. Then move the mouse cursor to the desired position and click the left mouse button. Now the line will be selected. Then the Shift and Ctrl-key can be released.

Is this the normal way to use multiple selection?

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2010, 08:06:43 pm »
Is this the normal way to use multiple selection?
No. I tried (meanwhile) and it works as follows:
1.) select a text (you may press control when selecting) with the left mouse button
2.) hold CTRL and select a different portion with the left mouse button

Works as expected here...?!

mariocup

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2010, 09:44:07 pm »
Hi Martin,

this would be the expected behaviour, but at my configuration it does not. I tried to start codeblocks with --safe-mode and -p=test. In both cases the multiple selection works as expected.

No I have to see which setting in my codeblocks environment is causing the strange behaviour with default.conf.

mariocup

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2010, 10:07:49 pm »
Hi,

my settings of BrowseTracker plugin caused the behaviour. "Enable BrowseMarks" was activated and the setting "Toggle BrowseMark Key" was configured for "Ctrl-Left_Mouse". If I change this setting everything works fine, but I forgot that I ever configured BrowseTracker with this behaviour. I hope that this is not a pitfall for other users.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2010, 06:43:47 am »
"Toggle BrowseMark Key" was configured for "Ctrl-Left_Mouse".
Ouch! Who is the dev of BrowseTracker? Pecan? Probably you want to send him a PM telling so.

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2010, 08:45:04 pm »
Hi,

my settings of BrowseTracker plugin caused the behaviour. "Enable BrowseMarks" was activated and the setting "Toggle BrowseMark Key" was configured for "Ctrl-Left_Mouse". If I change this setting everything works fine, but I forgot that I ever configured BrowseTracker with this behaviour. I hope that this is not a pitfall for other users.

It's going to take some major work to remove Ctrl-Left mouse from BrowseTracker.

If you use multiple mark selection in the editor, you'll have to disable BrowseTracker for the time being.

EDIT:
BrowseTracker will no longer use the Ctrl-Left_Mouse options when the user has enabled Editor Multi-Selection.

The user can clear BrowseMarks via the menu items.

Setting a hot key to the View/BrowseTracker/Clear menu item will make it easier to clear the Browsemarks.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 02:42:05 am by Pecan »