Author Topic: Latest Binary Release Compatability with Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit  (Read 5695 times)

Offline H

• Multiple posting newcomer
I'm wondering if the latest binary release is compatible with Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit. I saw this topic, but the response wasn't very helpful.

If it isn't compatible, what workarounds are there or alternatives?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Latest Binary Release Compatability with Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 12:13:37 am »
What release are you talking about? 8.02  or the latest nightly?
The nightlies don't have a compiler, nor an installer.
8.02 is the last official/"stable" release and the link you posted has the answer....

Search the forum, there are million+ threads about the vista/7/mingw problem.

This is the second thread I answer about this problem today :(
So www admins, please post on the main page that the 8.02 release is not compatible with vista/7 and place the instructions how to get working compiler
This is the second time I ask for this. If there is no person having time to do it, please give me access, so I can do it!
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline H

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 12:27:26 am »
Or you could do it here, or provide links to those million+ threads. I have searched and haven't found any besides that one other. I'm not a frequent visitor and am less familiar with topics that have come up than you probably are.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 12:33:52 am »
There is something like forum menu with the following commands: HOME, HELP, SEARCH, etc
Press the search button and type "vista" in the field click the "search/submit" button and read!

Here is the thread from today: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,11842.0.html
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 12:44:22 am »
As far as I know, there are problems with older MinGW releases, including the version shipped with 8.02-release, but not with C::B itself.
And this is stated clearly on the download-page.

Quote from: http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/5
NOTE: The compiler included in codeblocks-8.02mingw-setup.exe does not work reliable on Windows Vista. Please do not use it and install a more recent one from MinGW. That is because at the time Code::Blocks was released there was no working GCC for Windows Vista available. Meanwhile there is.

Offline H

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 12:52:02 am »
As far as I know, there are problems with older MinGW releases, including the version shipped with 8.02-release, but not with C::B itself.

Quote from: http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/5
NOTE: The compiler included in codeblocks-8.02mingw-setup.exe does not work reliable on Windows Vista. Please do not use it and install a more recent one from MinGW. That is because at the time Code::Blocks was released there was no working GCC for Windows Vista available. Meanwhile there is.

Thanks. However, is there any information regarding what compiler versions are reliable on Windows 7? I'm currently at http://www.tdragon.net/recentgcc/ but no information is provided regarding what OS the latest builds are compatible with.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 01:22:52 am »
H: That one should work :lol: // never tried vista/win7 + C::B

Jens:
Thanks I've never gone to that page.
And as it seems no one has read that notification, can you make it red and big + adding a link to TDM's gcc or the working mingw release?
And the next time there is such thread just silently delete the next thread about this issue.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 10:50:07 am »
What Jens said.

Plus, it's technically wrong that said MinGW release is incompatible with Vista/Windows 7. It's Vista and Windows 7 that are not compatible with software which behaves the way that was "standard" under Windows for decades.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."