User forums > Help

Multiple windows next to each other

(1/4) > >>

MortenMacFly:
Dear community,

sometimes it is helpful (e.g. for comparision) to have 2 code windows next to each other. I don't mean tabs, I really mean to have 2 code windows visible. I currently do it by simply opening another Code::Blocks with the second file and let Windows do the ordering. This is perfectly OK, however: I wonder whether this is possible within Code::Blocks itself. Say: Something like a MDI environment...?!

With regards,

Morten.

mandrav:
Just a note:
C::B started as MDI but for various reasons the design was changed to SDI (and it's not going back! :)).

MortenMacFly:

--- Quote from: mandrav on October 24, 2005, 10:08:09 am ---C::B started as MDI but for various reasons the design was changed to SDI [...].

--- End quote ---
That's interesting! A collegue of mine is thinking of porting a SDI application into MDI (which I believe is quite hard). I would be interested if there are serious drawbacks he might not consider... What were the reason for dropping MDI support? ...wxWidgets related?

Morten.

Ps.: Sorry for asking an off-topic question. If I could change the priority of this thread I would do so to "very low".

squizzz:

--- Quote from: MortenMacFly on October 24, 2005, 10:00:15 am ---sometimes it is helpful (e.g. for comparision)
--- End quote ---

For source comparision I suggest software like KDiff3. It's much better for this purpose, because it also visually shows differences.

mandrav:

--- Quote from: MortenMacFly on October 24, 2005, 10:36:09 am ---What were the reason for dropping MDI support? ...wxWidgets related?

--- End quote ---

First and foremost, MDI is a windows-only thing. C::B being cross-platform is required not only to work the same across platforms but also to look the same.
Besides that and without going into details, when we were evaluating the change to wx2.6, the MDI windows didn't behave correctly as was the case with wx2.4.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version