Author Topic: How to finalize a project to be installed on any pc.  (Read 4008 times)

Mnewrath

How to finalize a project to be installed on any pc.
« on: November 07, 2009, 04:52:41 am »
I am most familiar with visual basic and when creating a project with it it has a publish feature that packs the project up after building it so you can install it on any pc.  Is there a feature like that with code::blocks ... if not ... how do i transfer the program from one pc to another? I ask because I am taking a programming class and I can run the program on my pc at home but when I take it to school it won't run on any of the pc's there.  I have tried taking the entire project folder as well as just the program.exe and when I try to run it it says invalid handle or some such error.  Any insight would be great.  Thank you.

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: How to finalize a project to be installed on any pc.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 08:23:25 am »
The exact error message is the key to solve the issue. Just try to run it again and search for the error message in Google. Chances are you will find the answer quite quickly.

Code::Blocks does not provide a mechanism to create installers from the project. However, there are a couple of programs that can be used to create installers. You could try NSIS for example.

Chances are your program is missing a dependency. If that is the case, the error message should tell you the name of the missing file. You will need that file in order to run the program somewhere else. To get a complete tree of all dependencies, you can use a software like Dependency Walker (it also lists system files which should already exist in all PCs).