User forums > Using Code::Blocks

doesnt understand the compiler part of the components

(1/3) > >>

sp_1d4r:
I'm new and i didn't understand what to download.

I'm a game programmer and I'm using a 3d engine, the "Ogre" engine, and i was recommended this package to run the workspaces for MS Visual Studio 7.  Enough people from the ogre engine use code::block, so I'm not after a walkthough of how to compile my code,

I'm confused what compiler I'm going to have to download, or if i have to download a compiler at all, or if I'm supposed to download the mingw compiler package, or the package without a compiler?

compilers?

thomas:
I am not an OGRE user, but from the description on its web site, I gather that you should download and install the Microsoft VC toolkit 2003 (it seems as if MinGW is not directly supported, which does not mean it won't work, though). Very likely, you will need the platform toolkit SDK, too.

MinGW is generally an excellent compiler, too, and there is no reason not to have it, too (you can have more than one compiler at the same time).

sp_1d4r:
i realise mingw is neat, but im on 56 k so i have to download optimaily for my connection speed.

thomas:
Hmm... MSVC toolkit plus platform SDK is some 300-500 megabytes if I remember correctly (I may be wrong, but I think so). Wouldn't want to d/l that via 56k... (gulp)

You can try if you get along with MinGW (it is definitively smaller than the MS stuff), there are dependencies and patches for MinGW on the OGRE Sourceforge page, so it appears that it is possible somehow.
If you decide to use MinGW, there is a list of what to download on the Code::Blocks WiKi, or alternatively, you can just use the all-in-one-with-compiler package.

Note, though, that very likely Code::Blocks RC2 will be out on Monday (or during the next week), so before downloading anything on a slow link, you may want to consider waiting 2-3 days maybe.

mandrav:
Download the upcoming 1.0rc2 full setup, which will include the MinGW compiler. I have created the Code::Blocks project files for Ogre and they do work...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version