Author Topic: Top 10 GUI Issues  (Read 3527 times)

zabzonk

Top 10 GUI Issues
« on: October 15, 2009, 09:09:59 pm »
As a preamble to this post, can I say that I would have posted these issues in an issue tracker if the CB developers made one easily available. I tried using the "Report  aa bug" link in CB itself, but this just dumps me into a Berlios dialog that rejects ny CB forums login. I think the CB team should take a good look at how bug reporting is done nowadays - anyone should be able to report an issue via a simple Web based interface. Take a look at how Google Code handles this, for instance.

Anyway, the point of this post is to hilight my main issues with the CB GUI, at least for SVN 5859 on Win2K. None of these are severe bugs (or even bugs at all, in the most part), but all are very irritating to me. So, in no particular order:

1) The abbreviations, available via Settings|Editor|abbreviations, are not sorted in any sensible order. They should be alphabetic.

2) In the Abbreviations dialog, no cursor appears in the Code: text editor - you have to guess where your inputted text will appear.

3) When first loading a file into an editor, there is a pronounced and annoying visual flash (since sometime after SVN 5678)

4) In the Workspace window, double clicking on a folder used to (at least in SVN 5678) expand or contract it - this pretty basic GUI affordance no longer works.
5) I'd like an option for incremental searches so that when the search is first invoked via the keyboard, the toolbar edit is cleared. This would make it work like the vim incremental search.

6) The Project Build options selects the debug configuration by default. There is no logical reason for this - it should select the project (i.e. the defaults foor all configurations).

7) The vertical splitter position of the Symbols Browser is not remembered if the browser is closed and re-opened.

8 ) All dialogs should use larger fonts. Even on a 1024x768 display the current fonts are too small. Noticeably, the fonts in the non-modal windows like the Workspace browser are bigger and/or can be configured, so some devs obviously  realises this.

9) The "Save All Files" toolbar icon should save everything, as it does in every other IDE I have ever used.

10) I dislike tabbed edits and would like an option to hide the editor tabs altogether. Instead, I'd like the Workspace tree view entries to be coloured (or provide icons) to indicate their status (open/changed etc.)

That's all, folks.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:32:50 pm by zabzonk »

Offline nix_BB

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Top 10 GUI Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 08:09:03 am »
I tried using the "Report  aa bug" link in CB itself, but this just dumps me into a Berlios dialog that rejects ny CB forums login.

@zabzonk: You cannot use your C::B fourm login details on berlios- you need to register a new account with Berlios in order to report a bug.

In theory anyway - I've been having SSL certificate trust issues with berlios and as such I'm reluctant to post bugs there.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: Top 10 GUI Issues
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 04:05:46 pm »
7) The vertical splitter position of the Symbols Browser is not remembered if the browser is closed and re-opened.

This is an annoying issue for me.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.