Author Topic: codeblocks.exe has stopped working  (Read 22134 times)

Offline thatguy

• Single posting newcomer
codeblocks.exe has stopped working
« on: September 07, 2009, 01:47:44 am »
Code
  Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: codeblocks.exe
  Application Version: 0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp: 47c5c222
  Fault Module Name: mingwm10.dll
  Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp: 47c5c224
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Offset: 00001470
  OS Version: 6.1.7068.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: 4c0d
  Additional Information 2: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433
  Additional Information 3: 4c0d
  Additional Information 4: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Is the following dump when trying to run a fresh install of CodeBlocks on Windows7 Ultimate Edition (64bit).  Never had any issues at all since last year about this time.  It all started with a reboot today, after 365 days (half of which was spent on Windows XP Professional x64) today had to be the day I suppose...  All I did was reboot, no updates, installs, or anything for that matter..  And upon reboot CodeBlocks now decides it's wanting to crash on me :(

As the board section name implies! HELP!

Thanks,
thatguy

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: codeblocks.exe has stopped working
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 06:29:29 am »
Try to update mingwm10.dll. That seems to be the "faulty module" accoriung to the crash report. You may want to ask in a MinGW forum, too about this.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 07:35:47 am »
Do you have a crash report (codeblocks.rpt) in C::B's executable directory ?

If yes, could you please post (or attach) the relevant part (look for the date and time of your last crash in the file, should be the last report there, if I remember correctly).

Offline thatguy

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 08:05:26 am »
Do you have a crash report (codeblocks.rpt) in C::B's executable directory ?

If yes, could you please post (or attach) the relevant part (look for the date and time of your last crash in the file, should be the last report there, if I remember correctly).

There is no crash report in ANY of the C::B Dirs, even the AppData ones.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 10:12:04 am »
Another thing to try:

Try what happens if you rename your C::B conf-folder.
It's named codeblocks and contains at least the file default.conf.

I don't know, where it is on Win7, should be in the %APPDATA subdir.

If you rename the folder, C::B will create it's conf-files from scratch (all global changes like compiler-settings etc.) are lost, so don't remove the codeblocks folder, but rename it for backup-purposes.

Sometimes a corrupted default.conf makes C::B crash.

If that's the case it would be good to attach the corrupted file (or send it via mail or pm), so we can find the cause for the crash.

Offline thatguy

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 09:09:27 pm »
Hey jens, thanks again for helping..

I looked in all the mentioned folders, and even searched for the cfg file.  I would attach one, but C::B hasn't made a config file since I re-installed it after this started happening, but alias.. even re-installing didn't work, so I'm stuck using a VirtualBox till I can get this fixed :(

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 10:58:39 pm »
If C::B suddenly stopped working, that means if you ever have been able to start C::B and close it cleanly, the default.conf surely exists.
Uninstalling C::B does not remove it.

As posted I don't know the location on neither on vista nor on win7, but you can try the following command from the command-prompt (Not sure if it still works on win7):
Code
echo %APPDATA%
it should point you to the directory, where you find C::B's conf-folder (named codeblocks and containing at least default.conf).

To verify, whether your default.conf is broken or not, you can also start C::B from the command-prompt (if it still exists on win7) with another personality :
Code
codeblocks -p test
where test is the name of the personality, you can use everything except "default" .

Offline thatguy

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 11:33:45 pm »
I tried running from cmd prompt, get the same error APPCRASH, then a popup with:

codeblocks.exe - Application Error
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005).  Click OK to close the application.
[OK]

Also.. I uninstalled every bit of c::b manually, like I do every application (meaning removing all folders/files from the app, aswell as registry keys.. I'm just crazy like that).  With that being said.. in the %APPDATA% folder 'codeblocks' or anything for that matter dealing with c::b does NOT exist.  I also checked where the actual bin is, no error file or config?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 01:23:55 am »
That error means that you have missing dlls or problems with the Visual C/C++ runtime...
I don't know more :(
You can try to find the missing dll with this tool: http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Good luck
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 06:31:53 am »
I tried running from cmd prompt, get the same error APPCRASH, then a popup with:
Search your HDD for a file named default.conf to make very sure there is no old configuration. Concerning Registry: I can assure you that C::B does not use it. Did you tried updating the MinGW runtime as I suggested?
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline thatguy

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 07:58:19 pm »
Search your HDD for a file named default.conf to make very sure there is no old configuration. Concerning Registry: I can assure you that C::B does not use it. Did you tried updating the MinGW runtime as I suggested?

Could you point my in the right direction in order to update my MinGW runtime(s)?

FIXED!

Solution: Go to MinGW's site and update ONLY the files needed to work (in my case it was only mingw10m.dll or something similar)
But while I was there I updated gcc and my w32 api, etc :)

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:05:34 pm by thatguy »