Author Topic: Can't build and run  (Read 144209 times)

Offline SlpCtrl

• Single posting newcomer
Can't build and run
« on: September 05, 2009, 08:27:01 pm »
I installed and tried to write a program, and when I hit run it would say the project is not built yet, would you like to build? If I select yes, it does nothing. If I select build and run, it does nothing. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, nothing. I've never and still don't have this problem on my desktop, only on my laptop. Can anyone help me please?  :?

Offline SlpCtrl

Re: Can't build and run
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 08:53:09 pm »
Also, when I even make a new console project, it STILL won't build/compile or run at all even from that (I had searched and that was the advice that I seem to have found). I've used codeblocks a lot before; I know how to use the software, I think it's the version but I just for the life of me can not get anything to compile or run at all.  :shock:

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 09:31:16 pm »
What version did you install, what platform, what OS? What's the exact error message in the build log? Did you forget to install a compiler after all? Is your compiler installation incomplete (e.g. you forgot to install G++ but only GCC)?
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline SlpCtrl

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 02:47:04 am »
What version did you install, what platform, what OS? What's the exact error message in the build log? Did you forget to install a compiler after all? Is your compiler installation incomplete (e.g. you forgot to install G++ but only GCC)?

When it's a single source file, it says nothing at all when I try to build. When it's a console project, it will say this:

"firstTry - Debug" uses an invalid compiler [YOUR ANSWER IS ALREADY THERE. SEARCH THE FORUMS!]. Skipping...

I just installed codeblocks, no compilers or debuggers; I've used code::blocks before, quite a bit actually as it was pretty much the only compiler I've used. And I've never had to install the compilers and debuggers seperately  :?. I'm confused here; but I'm explaining exactly what's happening; nothing.

Offline SlpCtrl

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 03:03:29 am »
I fixed it; what I did was I went to settings>compiler and debugger

selected the toolchain executables tab

By default (from a fresh install) the version available right now has the default folder for MinGW WRONG. It has C:/MinGW, but the actual folder where it's installed to is C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\MinGW (for windows). I just did an auto-detect and it corrected the problem, and voila; I can now build and run.

maokei

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 05:26:27 am »
Thx man this was driving me crazy for a little while :)

kinglarry II

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 09:31:25 am »
why dosent that work for me then!?!?!?!?!?! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 11:41:11 am »
Why do you use a 7 year old thread  ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
Why do you don't add any more information, like what compiler you have installed  ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
Why do you don't tell us what codeblocks version you have installed  ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
Why are you angry ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Why do you don't tell us what does not work? ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
Why do you don't tell us any error message? ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
Why is life so hard? ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Offline sodev

• Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 09:45:01 pm »
Don't question the king! :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 02:24:01 am »
Why is life so hard? ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -- Rick Cook
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

justhelping

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 03:08:35 pm »
First, try re-installing and then using the Settings > Compiler > Toolchain Executables > Auto Detect compiler method. That worked 100% fine for me, and it's 2018.
For some reason, Codeblocks doesn't know where it installed the compiler, but it did install it, so that is why you need to Auto Detect. I hope this helps  :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 03:10:20 pm by justhelping »

M1ke05

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 09:07:07 pm »
It's 2020 and using auto detect worked for me.

Christian Kabera

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 08:12:43 pm »
I have installed codeblock but isn't working. It is telling me that " cant find compiler excutable in your configured search path's for GNU GCC compiler " so please what can i do with this????

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 08:51:37 pm »
1) Install a compiler
2) Do what other user did in this thread
3) Open a new thread and describe exactly what your problem is, what operating system you are using, what codeblocks version you are using, what codeblocks installer you have used....

Offline Nusrat

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 04:27:32 pm »
I have installed codeblock & also MinGW but isn't working. It is telling me that " cant find compiler excutable in your configured search path's for GNU GCC compiler " what can I do now??? 🥺