Author Topic: howto setup properly C::B using wxwidgets compiled via msvs2008 x64  (Read 7175 times)

Offline hcetiner

• Multiple posting newcomer
simply I think I compiled successfully via x64 command prompt of MS Visual Studio whole libs and dlls using dsw solution in wxwidgets\build directory.

but I cannot compile a simple empty gui project set by wxwdget project wizard in CodeBlocks
it says setup.h not found.
when I add some directories in lib and include search folders it gives other errors.

but if I build wxwidgets via GCC instead of MS compiler. everything seems okay.
is GCC is a must have compiler for codeblocks ? doesn't codeblocks works with only MSVC Compiled wxwidgets ?
is there a very spesific reference page that teaches how to setup Codeblock settings to work properly with wxwidgets built via msvc2008 x64 ?

this is my a  hundred attempts.and not achieved to build a simple GUI project with "hello world" window+button.

I think this thread will be unanswered and I have to try more weeks to achieve this issue properly by alone in the world.
my friends says this IDE is best for cross platform development especially for wxwidgets.

just I dont wantto return CBuilder (albeit its too good for lazies) because its Ms platform spesific.

any help really appriciated.

regards.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 02:14:36 am by hcetiner »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: howto setup properly C::B using wxwidgets compiled via msvs2008 x64
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 06:37:21 am »
is GCC is a must have compiler for codeblocks ? doesn't codeblocks works with only MSVC Compiled wxwidgets ?
No. But: The wizard is GCC specific so it will create a GCC wxWidgets project, only. But the modifications are simple: Just adjust the compiler/linker path's in the project created by the wizard and adjust the naming convetion of the wx library you had created.

just I dont wantto return CBuilder (albeit its too good for lazies) because its Ms platform spesific.
BTW: If you abandoned CBuilder because it's MS specific... why on earth would you use a MS compiler instead?! :shock:
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline hcetiner

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 10:37:14 am »
Before choosing it as my next partner of nights.just testing the abilities of Codeblocks.
if I achive my problem I will response this thread and will do a video tutor.to make people not lost their days.
thanks

Offline hcetiner

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 03:13:57 pm »
now problem is

l : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option '/MACHINE:AMD64'
sssApp.cpp
cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option '/MACHINE:AMD64'
sssMain.cpp
Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 6.0.5724.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
Linking executable: bin\Release\sss.exe

wxbase28.lib(event.obj) : fatal error LNK1112: module machine type 'x64' conflicts with target machine type 'X86'

how can I do a correct setup manually of  global compiler settings ?

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Lib\x64
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\lib\amd64
are linker directories I modified.
but no chance.

what makes so hard to setup C::B to build a first GUI app built with msvc x64 ?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:18:42 pm by hcetiner »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 09:07:59 pm »
l : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option '/MACHINE:AMD64'
How about fixing this? Remove that option and/or replace it by the correct equivalent. (Which I don't know as I am not using MSVC anymore).

If the compiler does not recognise this switch it seems to default to x86. Thus the following error.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline hcetiner

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 12:22:22 am »
I think main problem is x64 compiler directory is not specified correctly in Codeblocks and I dont know how to.
MSVC IDE sets it by itself no need to configure anything.
also '/MACHINE:AMD64' is not ignored within msvc.
it seems weird.a compiler option is accepting in msvc ide but ignoring in codeblocks.But same compiler.
it seems compiler directories are wrong. but how to setup...

ironic.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 12:46:00 am »
it seems compiler directories are wrong. but how to setup...

"Settings -> Compiler and debugger... -> Global compiler settings -> [your compiler] -> Toolchain executables".

You can also clone (copy) an MSVC2005/2008-compiler and change the settings so it points to the 64-bit version (if there exists a 32- and a64-bit-version, I didn't use MSVC since years).

If you use the 8.02 release, you have to ensure, that the compiler you want to use comes first in system search-path, if there are different executables with the same name.

Offline hcetiner

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 08:54:32 pm »
"Settings -> Compiler and debugger... -> Global compiler settings -> [your compiler] -> Toolchain executables".
thanks.

but this was wht I did before posting.
no need the location of settings.Need the correct setup

in conclusion
not "where is the setup"
need "how to setup"

regards.