Author Topic: Hello world crashes  (Read 2692 times)

StarGazer2112

Hello world crashes
« on: August 20, 2009, 05:58:57 am »
Hello everybody,

I'm starting with CodeBlocks and wxWidgets but can't make a simple Hello World (GUI) program run: it crashes as soon as I hit the run button, either in debug or release compilation. :cry:   :?:     Making a simple console version ( no wx stuff ) went ok.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask for help or if I have to look for a specific wxWidgets forum so I won't post a long topic telling what I've already tried, instead I'll wait for some reply.

Thanks

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Hello world crashes
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 06:10:05 am »
Code::Blocks version or SVN?
Compiler name and version?
OS Name and version?
wxWidget version

Example answer
CB 8.02
Windows XP
Mingw GCC 3.4.5
wx version 2.9.0

Tim S.

C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Hello world crashes
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 06:33:26 am »
Hello everybody,

I'm starting with CodeBlocks and wxWidgets but can't make a simple Hello World (GUI) program run: it crashes as soon as I hit the run button, either in debug or release compilation. :cry:   :?:     Making a simple console version ( no wx stuff ) went ok.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask for help or if I have to look for a specific wxWidgets forum so I won't post a long topic telling what I've already tried, instead I'll wait for some reply.

Thanks

If it's a wxWidgets-programm, try to debug it and start debug with step into, or place a breakpoint at the beginning of OnInit and try to find the error.
It's most likely a programming error, like using a null- (or uninitialised) pointer.

Have you tried the wxWidgets sample-project from the wizard (don't apply any changes), to see if it works ?