Author Topic: Mac Nightly Build  (Read 15469 times)

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Mac Nightly Build
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 08:31:47 am »
I think that step worked and you can do the next step now. I saw no clear errors in the output.

Tim S
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline smchronos

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 08:38:23 am »
After trying several different methods of configure that resulted in "no command found", I did hit a successful "roadblock."

The following yielded the "command not found" result:
Code
sudo ./configure --enable-contrib

This told me the directory was not found:
Code
sudo sh < configure --enable-contrib

I then adapted the above with 'configure.in', which was the only configure file in the revision folder:
Code
sudo sh < configure.in --enable-contrib
Code
sh: --enable-contrib: invalid option

I finally hit something with the following:
Code
sudo sh < configure.in
Code
sh: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `2.50'
sh: line 1: `AC_PREREQ(2.50)'

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 08:41:59 am »
After trying several different methods of configure that resulted in "no command found", I did hit a successful "roadblock."

The following yielded the "command not found" result:
Code
sudo ./configure --enable-contrib

This told me the directory was not found:
Code
sudo sh < configure --enable-contrib

I then adapted the above with 'configure.in', which was the only configure file in the revision folder:
Code
sudo sh < configure.in --enable-contrib
Code
sh: --enable-contrib: invalid option

I finally hit something with the following:
Code
sudo sh < configure.in
Code
sh: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `2.50'
sh: line 1: `AC_PREREQ(2.50)'

Sorry, I just remember that bootstrap is supposed to take in "configure.in" and output "configure" with no extension.

I think you might need to get afb or another Mac expert or at least an Unix/Linux expert involved.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline smchronos

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 08:46:42 am »
Alright. Well, thank you so much for your help so far. Hopefully, this topic won't get ignored by the other experts around here (you're an expert to me). I really want to get a nightly build running on my Mac and, if that works, contribute a little bit back to the C::B community.

I've stayed up a little too late tonight (it's 2:42 A.M. for me) trying to work this out; so, I'm going to call it quits tonight.

Once again, thank you so much stahta01 (Tim S.), you have definitely proved that C::B has a supportive community. :D

[EDIT]
On a small note, I noticed that there is also a 'configure.sub' file in my revision folder... plus a few more files that must have been generated by the previous bootstrap attempt.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 08:49:13 am by smchronos »

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 09:14:47 am »
Hi,

Just read the posts now.
The fact that linux and MAc nightly builds are no longer available is that no one currently has the time to provide them.
Linux is a bit more difficult due to the different packaging mechanisms (rpm, deb, ...).

So in case you feel like providing them, great. Let me know and I explain to you how it works to get them synchronized with the windows ones.

Note however a few people build them once again for linux and they host their 'deliveries' in their own space. But maybe it's time to resynchroniwe so that all builds are once again on our berlios site.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 11:14:20 am »
Don't use --enable-contrib, use --with-contrib-plugins=all instead.
For the beginning I suggest not to build the contrib-plugins, until you get C::B itself compiled succesfully.

I'm no Mac-User (only linux), so I can not provide much help.

The .svn-warning comes because you seem not to use svn-sources (if svn on berlios is down, you can not even fetch them), resulting in the revision number 0 inside C::B, but that does not matter.

Offline smchronos

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 05:37:49 pm »
I've tried using --enable-contrib and --with-contrib-plugins=all, but both give me the same result: command not found.

If I could just figure out what is missing on my Mac to run the bootstrap, I would be happy to produce Mac builds. Since it seems that configure.in isn't what I'm supposed to run next... and because bootstrap is failing, the proper configure file isn't produced... the bootstrap is required. I know that the nightly Linux builds are supported a little more often... or a lot more often... than the Mac build. I was really hoping to get it to work, but I can't even set up my environment properly because the bootstrap fails to execute.

[EDIT]
Oh, and I was able to get a revision before it went offline, apparently. I grabbed the 5723 revision, which was the latest at the time. So... even if the revision wasn't able to be updated, should that even make a difference?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 05:40:27 pm by smchronos »

Offline afb

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 06:59:24 pm »
Anyway, I'm sure people have talked about this quite a lot, and I'm pretty sure that there are some older discussions as to why Mac OS X was dropped from open nightly build support; however, I was hoping to get some more up-to-date reasons as to why the Mac operating system is not supported by CodeBlocks.

The Mac builds have always been more "monthly" than "nightly", as you can see from the list at http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=5358. I still update it from time-to-time, but it takes like a day and 5 gigs disk or so to build it (twice even, once for PowerPC and once for Intel)...

I love the IDE and the tools that it comes with, I just really wish that it was also available on the Mac platform. Please keep in mind that I have no knowledge about what goes on when trying to build something like this. I'm looking for someone (or multiple people) to calmly explain to me why porting CodeBlocks to Macintosh computers is so difficult. If I was knowledgeable enough on this subject, I wouldn't bother you guys with these questions.

Most of the actual porting should be done, except for missing features such as frameworks. Or bugs, like the crashing batch build or the hanging printing support. The build itself shouldn't be more complex than ./configure --with-contrib-plugins=all && make plus some packaging hassles to merge the Universal Binary and to make the .app self-contained and relocatable (as described on the Wiki page). Note that you do need to build and install wxWidgets as well (wxMac, or Carbon, platform).

Furthermore, with the current nightly builds, I was hoping to see if I could get the *NIX version to work with the Mac operating system since it does have a heavy UNIX background. Could someone also tell me if that is or is not possible and why (please don't berate me and just tell me that it isn't possible... I'd like to understand why).

You can build the GTK+/X11 version of the GUI on the Mac too, just that most people prefer the Quartz/Aqua version. The "easiest" way to build it is to use MacPorts and the codeblocks-devel port (you might want to bump the revision in the Portfile).

Code
sudo port install codeblocks-devel +x11

Offline afb

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 07:01:19 pm »
If I could just figure out what is missing on my Mac to run the bootstrap, I would be happy to produce Mac builds.

sh -x bootstrap should show you each command as it is being executed...

Offline smchronos

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2009, 09:19:39 pm »
I tried using the method to show me each command being executed, and it looks similar to something I got earlier in this topic:
Code
$ sudo sh -x bootstrap
Password: ******
+ '[' -f ./update_revision.sh ']'
+ ./update_revision.sh
svn: '.' is not a working copy
svn: '.' is not a working copy
+ WANT_AUTOMAKE='1.9 1.8 1.7'
+ export WANT_AUTOMAKE
+ WANT_AUTOCONF=2.5
+ export WANT_AUTOCONF
+ test -z ''
+ AUTOCONF=autoconf
+ test -z ''
+ AUTOHEADER=autoheader
+ test -z ''
+ AUTOMAKE=automake
+ test -z ''
+ ACLOCAL=aclocal
+ test -z ''
+ for LIBTOOL in glibtool libtool
+ break
+ test -z ''
+ for LIBTOOLIZE in glibtoolize libtoolize
+ break
++ autoconf --version
++ egrep '1\.[0-9]+|2\.[0-4]+'
++ head -n 1
+ test -n ''
++ automake --version
++ head -n 1
++ egrep '1\.[0-6](\.[0-9]+)?$'
+ test -n ''
++ automake --version
++ head -n 1
++ egrep '1\.7(\.[0-9]+)?$|1\.8(\.[0-9]+)?$'
+ test -n ''
++ glibtool --version
++ head -n 1
++ cut -f 4 -d ' '
++ egrep '1\.[0-3](\.[0-9]+)?$'
+ test -n ''
+ rm -rf autom4te.cache
+ glibtoolize --force --copy
+ aclocal
+ autoheader
+ automake --include-deps --add-missing --foreign --copy
src/include/Makefile.am:3: PRECOMPILE_HEADERS does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/Makefile.am:1: BUILD_ASTYLE does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/Makefile.am:5: BUILD_AUTOSAVE does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/Makefile.am:9: BUILD_CLASSWIZARD does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/Makefile.am:13: BUILD_CODECOMPLETION does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/Makefile.am:17: BUILD_COMPILER does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/Makefile.am:21: BUILD_DEBUGGER does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/Makefile.am:25: BUILD_MIMEHANDLER does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/Makefile.am:29: BUILD_OPENFILESLIST does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/Makefile.am:33: BUILD_PROJECTSIMPORTER does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/Makefile.am:37: BUILD_SCRIPTEDWIZARD does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/Makefile.am:41: BUILD_TODO does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/Makefile.am:45: BUILD_MANIFEST does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:1: BUILD_AUTOVERSIONING does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:5: BUILD_BROWSETRACKER does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:9: BUILD_BYOGAMES does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:13: BUILD_CBKODERS does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:17: BUILD_CODESNIPPETS does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:21: BUILD_CODESTAT does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:25: BUILD_COPYSTRINGS does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:29: BUILD_DRAGSCROLL does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:33: BUILD_ENVVARS does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:37: BUILD_HELP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:41: BUILD_HEADERFIXUP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:45: BUILD_KEYBINDER does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:49: BUILD_LIBFINDER does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:53: BUILD_PROFILER does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:57: BUILD_REGEX does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:61: BUILD_EXPORTER does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:65: BUILD_SYMTAB does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:69: BUILD_THREADSEARCH does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:73: BUILD_VALGRIND does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:77: BUILD_WXSMITH does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:81: BUILD_WXSMITHCONTRIB does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:85: BUILD_WXSMITHAUI does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:89: BUILD_HEXEDITOR does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/plugins/contrib/Makefile.am:93: BUILD_INCSEARCH does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/src/Makefile.am:10: CODEBLOCKS_LINUX does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/templates/Makefile.am:1: CODEBLOCKS_NT does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL

It tells me that the SVN isn't valid, goes through some processes that I assume are successful, and then has problems with several Makefiles.