Author Topic: The registry recorded settings of C::B are UNSTABLE !!!  (Read 8779 times)

shaka_zulu

The registry recorded settings of C::B are UNSTABLE !!!
« on: October 18, 2005, 04:55:35 pm »
Hello there,i'm propably you newest member and i'm glad to be here.First ,excuse my english,it's not so well ,but i hope that you'll understand my point!
It takes a while to find what my problem with C::B is. Every time i use it,i'd have to set anything from the beginning over and over again - the directory settings are missing. Well is sort of TIRESOME! There is some regcleaners that detects the reggerd dirs incorectly. I agree that there is no GNU,MARS or MinGW, but they're earsing the existing as well.
If you dont believe me,try Registry Repair from GlarySoft.com - it's exactly what i'm talking about.  Offcource i can ignore the deleting of the registry values of C::B or to save them in a reg file,BUT what i'm trying to sat is that i's something that should (MUST) be fixed.
Thank you and exuse me if i'm not postin' this in the right place!

http://www.glarysoft.com/download/regrepairsetup.exe

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: The registry recorded settings of C::B are UNSTABLE !!!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 05:07:39 pm »
Not sure that I understood you correctly.

You run a program that deletes entries from the registry (they call it "optimize"), and you lose your Code::Blocks settings every time you delete the Code::Blocks key from the registry?
That cannot possibly be what you were saying?
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 05:47:41 pm »
What I get from there is that those programs delete Code::Blocks keys from the registry 'cause they somehow consider them wrongly set or useless.

If that's the case, we should know what those programs are considering "wrongly set keys" first :?

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 06:34:34 pm »
Maybe the "::" is confusing them?

shaka_zulu

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 07:10:49 pm »
No, That's not the reason. The registry cleaning mechanism is equ for all of that type of software. They check for invalid entry paths mostly.
If you make a scan with Registry Cleaner(the link above) and then cancel the removing(close) and opening the keys , you will see the reasons. There is a settings with invalid paths, as example :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Code::Blocks\Code::Blocks v1.0\Compiler _gcc\compiler _sets\004

reason:
"The entry master _path points to the missing file or folder \include;C:\dm\include"

So far so good. Nothing wrong to erase a missing path.But i supposed that you've made  CB to read all the entry's when starts so can use the settings then.
You can solve that problem that way : When compiler is set as default with actual users paths only  that entrys to be readed at start.

I'm expainig that not to affence anybody!!! I'm Just triyng to help cause many people use theese "cleaner's" ,whos in that case are just "messers"!
And i think that for any program registry setting MUST be STABLE!

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 07:36:58 pm »
Well, I'm not sure how the configuration for this is saved. However we're planning on revamping the compiler framework as to support non-C++ compilers, intertarget dependency and other stuff. I'm sure we can tackle this issue by then.

Anyway please submit a feature request at sourceforge (check the codeblocks homepage in "request a feature") regarding the check of invalid paths before storing in registry.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 08:02:30 pm »
I don't get it. What is wrong if an invalid path is kept in the registry? I believe that C::B is as clean as it can be, regarding registry entries. One entry under HKLM/Software and that's it. Delete the key and no trace is left (well, except the default workspace kept in user's home, but that's not the registry).
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 08:31:50 pm »
[sarcasm]
Did you notice that the Code::Blocks executable is extremely unstable, too?
When you format the hard disk, Code::Blocks ceases to function.
[/sarcasm]

Sorry, could not resist saying that  :lol:
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

shaka_zulu

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 09:16:15 pm »
Well,i'm just tryin' to help and you're sarcastic !?
Thomas,maybe it's time you to do that with your HDD and forget all the stuffs ,you think that knew!

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 10:23:30 pm »
Well, i think we shouldn't mock those trying to help or get help. It's not polite.
Anyway the REAL question is: What's the snapshot of the registry BEFORE and AFTER applying the cleaning?

We might have some data validation issue here. Again, this is _NOT_ a codeblocks bug, rather a bad interaction between different software. But if we can improve it, we need more data on the issue.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 11:07:14 pm »
Well,i'm just tryin' to help and you're sarcastic !?
Thomas,maybe it's time you to do that with your HDD and forget all the stuffs ,you think that knew!

Don't get mad! It was a joke :)
We appreciate all the criticism we get, it's just that we talk about it ;)
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...