User forums > Using Code::Blocks

comsupp.lib - license conflict??

(1/2) > >>

stream:
    I am making a game for commercial use. And I am using an engine witch I managed to compile with C::B using "MSVC++ 2003 Toolkit" compiler
Now the problem is when I'm building the game - I get a linker error - It cannot find comsupp.lib  - This is because the engine uses this lib
    I looked everywhere for comsupp.lib  in
        1)Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 LIBS 
        2)Platform SDK 2003 SP1 
        3).NET Framework SDK Version 1.1
and I didn't find a x86 version of the file. Instead I found the 64bit in the Microsoft Platform SDK, but it didn't work with that file.

thomas:

--- Quote from: stream on October 15, 2005, 03:34:34 pm ---I used the file from the MS .NET Visual C++ [...] the big problem is that I don't have a license for MS .NET Visual C++
--- End quote ---
Uh... are you asking whether it is a problem to use a library from a pirated MS .NET VC++ copy in a commercial product? Not serious?

EDIT:
Just looked what is actually inside this library, probably the game engine uses ConvertStringToBSTR and ConvertBSTRToString from that lib. You could try and link without that library to see if this is true (you will get missing symbols). These two functions should not be too much hassle to write yourself, that way you get around the problem in a legal way.

takeshimiya:
lol :D

Ceniza:
I hope the game give you enough money so you can get the licenses later :)

rickg22:
Stream: Do yourself a favor, and install Linux on your machine. Then use a cross-platform engine, there are plenty out there if you search good enough. http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/features.html

Finally, stay away from Microsoft products. They're a trap - aren't you having to depend on them right now? (Search slashdot.org to see one of the many accusations of monopoly, etc). The very reason we're making Code::Blocks is that you don't have to buy Visual C++ to develop.

Until then, I really recommend you to get a Windows license and do things legally. Using the GNU compiler isn't that bad - sure, some compilation times are slow, but it doesn't come crippled like the "free" Microsoft products. Oh yeah, GNU GCC does *NOT* include info on the operating system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version