User forums > Help

Font size issue

(1/3) > >>

Rox271:
I'm facing a strange issue in the main editor.
As soon as a word is shown in bold, it looks like there is an issue with character size. Remaining text on the right is no more correctly aligned.
I'm trying to use Lucida Console but this happens with any non proportional fonts other than Courier New which is always perfect.

Also if you zoom the text, you will notice that the carret is sometime over characters when text is bold.

Is this a bug (couldn't find it on the list) or am I doing something wrong?

Rox271:
Just to make myself clear, I have attached two screenshots.
They show the same code snippet using Lucida console or Courier New fonts.
On the first one, we see that the code is no more properly aligned; without the bold option for keywords, everything is ok.
On the second one, we see that the use of Courier Font produces a perfect result.

[attachment deleted by admin]

mandrav:
For starters, you 're not mentioning what version you are using. How are we supposed to know?

The CVS version (soon to become 1.0-RC2), contains a newer version of the editor component and it works as expected. So, I assume you 're using RC1-1 or earlier. Please wait for RC2...

Rox271:
Mandrav, thanks for your answer.
Yes, I confirm I'm currently using the RC1.
Sorry about possible confusion, but since this is the latest official binary...
I'm glad to know this may be fixed on RC2 and looking forward to give it a go.

In the mean time, I will stick on Courier New, nothing dramatic.
CodeBlocks is an excellent tool, thanks for the good work.

thomas:
No reason to investigate, Yiannis. This is not a Code::Blocks problem. I am sure it is not, because I can do the same with other programs on my Computer ;)

In order to have your text aligned smoothly, you should either use the tab char instead of spaces (you can configure the editor and the code formatter plugin to use either (and convert between)), or you should use a fixed pitch font. Sounds obvious. Now you tell me that you are using a fixed pitch font. No, you are not.

The font Ludida Console is a fixed pitch font just like Courier New. However, Lucida Console, unlike Courier New, does not come with a bold font face. So what happens is that the "smart" font substitution built into Windows chooses the next best font to display bold text, which is Lucida Sans in this case.
Lucida Sans is not fixed pitch, hence the problem.
Another possibility would be to turn off "smart" font substitution, then Windows will use Lucida Console and create a "faux bold" effect (which will still be fixed pitch). I don't remember how you turn that off, though... some occult registry key probably.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version