Author Topic: newbie with the MinGW text editor/compiler  (Read 7164 times)

bluarcher

newbie with the MinGW text editor/compiler
« on: May 15, 2009, 07:04:02 pm »
I'm admittedly new to programming and trying to find just the basic information for using the Code Blocks text editor that is bundled with the MinGW compiler download. With my previous (and limited) experience using a Borland package, there was no wizard to help with the building of a project. Is there another forum I should be looking in or should I assume that any basic C programming book will answer my questions for the building/file saving/linking of a simple program? I've looked at the Code Block online instruction manual, but the first section involving Project Management is a bit past where I am. Any help appreciated.
Thanks, blu

Offline Dr.Optix

• Multiple posting newcomer
  • I'm studying OS Developing.
    • DrOptix Blog
Re: newbie with the MinGW text editor/compiler
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 11:03:51 pm »
I don't really understand your problem but if i got it right you are now using Code::Blocks to edit your C/C++ files then just hit File->New->Project and hit the builg target, write your code and then hit F9 and C::B will use GCC to compile your project and then it will run the resulting exe.

But if you want more info on how to use the compiler it self this may help: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/

sry if this don't solve your problem but as i said me personaly didn't fully understood what's your problem but to to all my best to help ya i provide here a link to a tutorial on how to use C::B http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/CodeBlock_Tutorial

PS: Hope it helps

~Dr.Optix
IDE: Code::Blocks Nightly / CodeLite Latest Stable
Compiler: TDM's GCC/mingw32
Blog: DrOptix.WordPress.Com

bluarcher

Re: newbie with the MinGW text editor/compiler
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 07:52:38 pm »
Thanks for the response. The second link in particular that you listed (the Crystal Space tutorial) is the information I was looking for. Between that and the books I've ordered, I should be able to sift through things. Much appreciated.  :)
Blu