Author Topic: [Win32 - C::B 8.02] Editor lagging/freezing  (Read 5290 times)

Offline Patuti

• Single posting newcomer
[Win32 - C::B 8.02] Editor lagging/freezing
« on: March 31, 2009, 02:56:31 pm »
Hello,

I'm using CodeBlocks 8.02 under Windows XP SP2 and I'm having a lag/freeze problem, I'm not reporting it under bugs because I don't know if it's a bug or is it common under certain situations (like... "disable this and that plugin and it will work fine").

I'm using codeblocks with multiple instances enabled and my general use of it is like this...

one instance with a smaller project, no lag/freeze problem and the other one is using with a middleware huge code and this is where the problem begins...

I've already disabled almost all plugins, I only have the following enabled:
* Code Completion;
* Code snippets;
* Compiler;
* Debugger;
* Environment variables;
* Files extension handler;
* Keyboard shortcuts;
* Open files list;
* Scripted Wizard;
* Symbol Table Plugin;
* ThreadSearch.

and during common usage it freezes for more than 4 or 5 seconds.

common usage: coding, scrolling up/down the code, CTRL+S.

It never stopped working (crashing or something like that), but it freezes for a long period (4 or 5 seconds) and it happens a lot, at least 3 or 4 times in something around 1-2 minutes.

I'm not able to reproduce it always, I don't have some kind of trigger that I know will freeze it, it seems like something that gets updated from time to time (I thought it was TODO list, but I don't have it anymore) that freezes it due to the project's size.

If you think that this should be submitted to bug tracker please let me know, I didn't do it because I don't know if it's bad usage or it's a bug.

Offline jarro_2783

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Project Freedom
Re: [Win32 - C::B 8.02] Editor lagging/freezing
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 03:19:03 pm »
this sounds like it might be due to code completion. It needs to reparse stuff when you change it, and look up symbol tables as you type. This typically happens in large projects, or when using something huge like boost. I have never noticed it in small projects.

Offline Patuti

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 03:27:48 pm »
hmm... it uses SDL and FMOD too

I'll try disabling that but then there's almost no point in using C::B if you have to disable almost all of its features to use it smoothly.

Offline jarro_2783

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Project Freedom
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 03:34:10 pm »
actually I only ever notice lags when code completion is completing:
ie. boost::
causes it to freeze up for a second, I think it does parsing in another thread. It sounds like you have more freezes than I do, it could be something else.

Offline Patuti

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 03:53:58 pm »
I disabled Symbols Table plugin and it LOOKS like the freezing stopped.

I'll continue testing and will report here as soon as I have a solid answer.

Offline Patuti

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 04:21:46 pm »
hmm Nah... the freezing came back... I disabled Code Completion now and it looks like it stopped freezing...

if I confirm that then I'll switch back to VI or maybe Windows NotePad because there'll be no meaning in using a visual text editor.