Author Topic: Proposal: RibbonInterface Plugin for testing a new wxWidget  (Read 6194 times)

Offline AkiraDev

• Multiple posting newcomer
Proposal: RibbonInterface Plugin for testing a new wxWidget
« on: March 19, 2009, 03:08:24 pm »
Hi all,

I've been way too busy to code at all for a long time, but right now, I have the chance to get a bit more into coding again.
Back at wxWidgets.org, the dev team has announced that they will be guiding students at this year's Google Summer of Code, and have as a proposed idea the emulation of the RibbonBar as a possible project.

Needless to say - as it's so easy to guess since I brought up the subject anyway -, I'm applying to this project specifically and have already contacted them.

Thanks to its plugin architecture, I think Code::Blocks is a good application to test any such class/control/toolbar without disturbing the application's core. Some people around the web have already expressed their interest in seeing anything that resembles the notorious RibbonBar used as an interface for code development, and I think implementing it here would be very interesting indeed. As a plugin, of course.

What do the developers think?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 03:23:50 pm by AkiraDev »

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: Proposal: RibbonInterface Plugin for testing a new wxWidget
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 03:20:10 pm »
I'm not a c::b's developer, but I do think Robbon Bar is an interesting feature. :D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 04:27:27 pm by ollydbg »
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Proposal: RibbonInterface Plugin for testing a new wxWidget
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 04:21:37 pm »
What do the developers think?
Having a plugin that just shown a ribbon bar would be easier as a stand-alone application. It depends on what you want to achieve with the functionality behind. Sure you can use this if it makes sense for a plugin.

BTW: I have used Office 2007 recently and I did not get used to the ribbon bar at all. I thinks it's not a good concept - especially if all other software is *not* using it. But that's another story.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ