Author Topic: Code::Blocks' translation  (Read 565003 times)

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
Re: Code::Blocks' translation
« Reply #150 on: September 21, 2010, 01:47:01 pm »
Hi,
small problem with translation on some window titles. Though they are translated in the .po and .mo files they don't always are displayed in the chosen language. This is the case, for examples, for "Management", "Logs & others" and "Open files list".
If you open C::B for the 1srt time, they are in English and stay in English even if you switch to another language (French for example).
More, if you have switched to French (for example), close C::B, delete the file default.conf, and reopen C::B, they appear that time, as all other items, in French. Nevertheless, if you switch back to English, those 3 items stay in French.
I think it's because those strings are coded inside default.conf and not updated when switching the language.

This happen with last svn version (6620), but is not new, and both with Windows and Linux.

gd_on
Windows 11 64 bits (23H2), svn C::B (last version or almost!), wxWidgets 3.2.4 (tests with 3.3), Msys2 Compilers 13.2.0, 64 bits (seh, posix : gcc, g++ and gfortran in C:\msys64\mingw64) or 32 bits (dwarf2, posix  in C:\msys64\mingw32).

Offline sergamena

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2010, 05:01:14 pm »
I didn't get it: from where I should download .pot file?

Offline sergamena

« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2010, 05:10:08 pm »
Post a direct link please.

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2010, 07:55:31 pm »
Look at some previous post. You'll find some .pot files, not the last ones, but quite recent (for example in http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,1022.msg88942.html#msg88942 search for the word Here, it's a direct link). Also, you can contact Xaviou. Send him a PM (Personal messages). He has also .pot files and some other partly translations files available.

gd_on
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 07:59:24 pm by gd_on »
Windows 11 64 bits (23H2), svn C::B (last version or almost!), wxWidgets 3.2.4 (tests with 3.3), Msys2 Compilers 13.2.0, 64 bits (seh, posix : gcc, g++ and gfortran in C:\msys64\mingw64) or 32 bits (dwarf2, posix  in C:\msys64\mingw32).

Offline nanyu

• Almost regular
  • nanyu
« Reply #154 on: November 01, 2010, 05:02:46 am »
Hi,
small problem with translation on some window titles. Though they are translated in the .po and .mo files they don't always are displayed in the chosen language. This is the case, for examples, for "Management", "Logs & others" and "Open files list".
If you open C::B for the 1srt time, they are in English and stay in English even if you switch to another language (French for example).
More, if you have switched to French (for example), close C::B, delete the file default.conf, and reopen C::B, they appear that time, as all other items, in French. Nevertheless, if you switch back to English, those 3 items stay in French.
I think it's because those strings are coded inside default.conf and not updated when switching the language.

This happen with last svn version (6620), but is not new, and both with Windows and Linux.

gd_on

It also happend with Chinese .po

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
« Reply #155 on: November 07, 2010, 06:58:41 pm »
A few updates to the .pot file extracted from svn 6840 are here.
Translation in French, also updated from svn 6840 in the .po and .mo file is here. It contains 5875 character chains, but there are still 47 which are not translated : I don't know exactly how to translate them (even if I understand what they globally mean  :?) . So, if somebody has some suggestions don't hesitate to mail them. :)

The extracting tool is here. It is different than the one provided in I18n svn sub folder : it produces a monolithic file for all chains, but it also analyses .xrc files which contains many chains to be translated. Unfortunately, in those files, there are no differences between chains that need a translation and chains that don't need to (or must not) be translated. So, translators must be aware of this particularity. I think in this case, the best solution is simply to copy "english" words to the translated chains. Like this, you are sure that you intentionally put them here and it's not a forgotten (or still not translated) character chain.
See also previous posts here particularly or/and here to understand how it works and/or to install it.

New : I have translated in French the Code::Blocks manual available in English and German on C::B site. You'll find a version of the pdf file here. It's a compromise between version 1.0 and 1.1 (I have kept the last paragraph of version 1.0 about C:B building/installation). This work has been submitted to reviewers, but is not still approved. So, it may still change.

gd_on
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:34:08 am by gd_on »

mariocup

« Reply #156 on: November 07, 2010, 09:52:33 pm »
Hi gd_on,

I will try to get the document finalized within the next two weeks. Thank you for your translation.

unclepetros

« Reply #157 on: December 09, 2010, 08:43:52 am »
Hi,
I've the same problem gd_on mentioned.
I've used the .po file at this link: https://translations.launchpad.net/codeblocks/trunk/+pots/codeblocks/it/+translate
Is it updated?

Because, for example, I see in .po file the string "Open", while in codeblocks I see the string "Open...".
I think the original .po file lacks some recent string:
what's the correct way to add these to the translation?

Should I generate again full .po from sources?

I'm a bit confusing...

Please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Regards
UnclePetros

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2010, 09:36:03 am »
Hi, unclepetros
As said previously, files on launchpad are largely outdated. Obviously, it's not easy to update it. There are also .pot files distributed with svn, but I think that too many strings are missing because some files are not analyzed.
A solution :
download my .pot file (see previous post). It contains all the strings in English. Not too old.
Download and install poedit.
Open your outdated .po file with poedit.
Import/update my .pot file to obtain an updated .po file (3rd menu, 2nd item).
Now you "just" :? have to translate missing strings and/or verify strings marked as "fuzzy". That's a long work, but you have time... :? And you can work with partially translated files.
Save your work and generate a .mo file (first menu, 5th item or second icon button).
An other solution : contact with a PM xaviou. He is working on a "Launchpad like" solution, but updated. He certainly can add an Italian entry, but you'll have to provide translations, built as suggested above with poedit.

gd_on

Offline bluestar

« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2011, 02:14:12 pm »
What I don't get is: why is it so complicate to change localization in C::B?? Having to read through all these posting, trying to find links, getting an account on launchpad...

I get that the translation itself is a lot of work, and that it is not easy to get EVERYTHING translated... but could there not be at least an import function in C::B? Or a link from within the program to the launchpad sources for the languages? Or at least an instruction in the help-files? In the documentation?

right now it looks like you have to be a geek to get C::B lokalized... :-(

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #160 on: February 24, 2011, 02:31:59 pm »
If it is such a problem you could write a wiki page here: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Main_Page then provide a patch, so a link is added to C::B...
C::B is a community effort and people work on what is interesting to them or bothers them.
So it seems the translation is one of the last items on TODOs :)

p.s. Most devs prefer the IDE/dev tools to be in English. I'll feel very strange if I use a native language translation of C::B or any other IDE. If will be quite unintuitive.
      For normal programs it is OK to be translated, but the specialized software should be English only (also it makes it easier to find solutions in our favorite search engine).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:35:49 pm by oBFusCATed »
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #161 on: February 24, 2011, 02:42:36 pm »

Offline bluestar

« Reply #162 on: February 24, 2011, 05:53:41 pm »
@jens: many thanks, that really helps! - Especially since these folders don't exist a priori in the file structure
@oBFusCATed: I understand that translations are not top prio, and not everyone likes to do them. I also understand you prefer english for a compiler IDE... That said, since there IS a translation project AND the Translations seems to be done in some languages (e.g. German), it would be great to have an easy way to add it. It simply gives more people access, making it more popular. Which in turn makes more people likely to donate time/money to the project.

It's ok when the software doesn't come with all latest transaltions.

I am looking at the nice-to-have way: a link to the howto in the Program's description, and maybe a link where to download latest transaltion versions. It seems so near to reach and so much hard work has already been done.

Anyway... great project, great job!

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
« Reply #163 on: March 06, 2011, 07:12:37 pm »
A few updates to the .pot file extracted from svn 7041 are here.
Translation in French, also updated from svn 7041 in the .po and .mo file is here. It contains 5987 character chains, but there are still 35 which are not translated : I don't know exactly how to translate them (even if I understand what they globally mean  :?) . So, if somebody has some suggestions don't hesitate to mail them. :)

The extracting tool is here. It is different than the one provided in I18n svn sub folder : it produces a monolithic file for all chains, but it also analyses .xrc files which contains many chains to be translated. Unfortunately, in those files, there are no differences between chains that need a translation and chains that don't need to (or must not) be translated. So, translators must be aware of this particularity. I think in this case, the best solution is simply to copy "english" words to the translated chains. Like this, you are sure that you intentionally put them here and it's not a forgotten (or still not translated) character chain.
See also previous posts here particularly or/and here to understand how it works and/or to install it.

gd_on

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2011, 05:27:35 pm »
A few updates to the .pot file extracted from svn 7075 are here.
Translation in French, also updated from svn 7075 in the .po and .mo file is here. It contains 6125 character chains, but there are still 57 which are not translated : I don't know exactly how to translate them (even if I understand what they globally mean  :?) . So, if somebody has some suggestions don't hesitate to mail them (or send a PM). :)

The extracting tool is here. It has been slightly modified from previous version and it is different than the one provided in I18n svn sub folder : it produces a monolithic file for all chains, but it also analyses .xrc files which contains many chains to be translated. Unfortunately, in those files, there are no differences between chains that need a translation and chains that don't need to (or must not) be translated. So, translators must be aware of this particularity. I think in this case, the best solution is simply to copy "english" words to the translated chains. Like this, you are sure that you intentionally put them here and it's not a forgotten (or still not translated) character chain.

gd_on