Developer forums (C::B DEVELOPMENT STRICTLY!) > Plugins development

Suggestion to ease the pain for non-devs

(1/1)

MortenMacFly:
Dear CodeBlocks community,

today I downloaded another CVS snapshot of CodeBlocks for compiling myself. I found that even if all belongs to CodeBlocks, setting up all the configurations (for the plugins) is quite hard: The variable names are different and the place where they are setup is different or even missing.

To (very) ease the setup I would suggest the following as it is on CodeBlocks main application, where one normally has to setup only one variable and compiling works:

Follow the configuration as done in CodeBlocks main application:

1.) Setup directories/variables in the top of the project build options thus they apply to all sub-modules
2.) For custom variables use always (only) "WX_DIR" and "WX_CFG" in this spelling (which should normally be enough)
3.) In the directories setup use only relative paths to "WX_DIR" or the plugin-folder itself

This would allow non-developers to very easily setup anything he wants to compile. He will always find the custom variables "WX_DIR" and "WX_CFG" in the same place which then would be the only thing to change for another platform/computer. I mean: It's all in the same repository and belongs to the same project, why having different standards?

How do you think?

With regards,

Morten.

Ps.: Again and again I'm very impressed of how development increases. Thanks to all devs - I really, really appreciate your work.

mandrav:
Hi Morten,

just to make sure we 're on the same page here:
You 're talking about the contrib plugins, which are not part of the main build process, right?

If so, then yes it will be addressed before 1.0.

MortenMacFly:

--- Quote ---just to make sure we 're on the same page here:
You 're talking about the contrib plugins, which are not part of the main build process, right?

--- End quote ---
Yes, this applies for the contrib plugins.

--- Quote ---If so, then yes it will be addressed before 1.0.

--- End quote ---
What shall I say... excellent!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version