Author Topic: [SOLVED] Code::Blocks does not find the libraries of pkg_config  (Read 10284 times)

sym_zo

[SOLVED] Code::Blocks does not find the libraries of pkg_config
« on: December 11, 2008, 06:34:30 pm »
Hello,

I have an annoying problem with my installation of Code::Blocks. It has not recognized all the libraries which are installed on my system and available when I run "pkg-config --list-all". On another computer, I have noticed that the Library tab of a project's properties lists all those libs, available through pkg_config. On my computer, the list is completely empty (not even an "available through pgk_config").

I have tried several things (reinstalling the package, making new projects, etc) without any success. Do you have any idea how code::blocks recognizes these libs, and how I could find the source of the problem (thus finding how to solve it^^) ?

Thanks in advance for your help pointing me in the right direction !

sym_zo

addendum/edit : My OS is Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (8.10). I used the repository packages to install code::blocks (I also tried the packages on C::B website, but the end result is the same...).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 10:31:37 pm by sym_zo »

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Code::Blocks does not find the libraries of pkg_config
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 10:01:36 pm »
On my computer, the list is completely empty (not even an "available through pgk_config").

Did you mean by calling pkg-config from command-line ?
If so, remember tha each library in ubuntu is usually split into two parts - library binaries (required to run programs using it) and library development files - the second package is needed to be on pkg-config list (it also contains header files etc). Generally package with development files end with "-dev" suffix.

Regards
   BYO

sym_zo

Re: Code::Blocks does not find the libraries of pkg_config
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 10:30:16 pm »
On my computer, the list is completely empty (not even an "available through pgk_config").

Did you mean by calling pkg-config from command-line ?
If so, remember tha each library in ubuntu is usually split into two parts - library binaries (required to run programs using it) and library development files - the second package is needed to be on pkg-config list (it also contains header files etc). Generally package with development files end with "-dev" suffix.

Regards
   BYO

I meant from the "library" tab of the properties of a project. On the other hand, by calling pkg-config from command line ("pkg-config --list-all"), I get a lot of results.

This said, your question made me realize that my "pkg-config --list-all" ended with an error :
Code
Package 'glipper' has no Name: field
I got rid of glipper, to see what would happen : a new error :-).
Code
Variable 'libdir' not defined in '/usr/lib/pkgconfig/ripperX.pc'
So I got rid of ripperX as well (I don't use it anyway), and now the list of packages in "pkg-config --list-all" is, I have to admit, much longer. Must importantly, it solved my bug in code::blocks !

Conclusion : Code::Blocks doesn't show any library if  "pkg-config --list-all" ends with an error.

BYO, thanks for your help ;-)