Author Topic: Request: Add Icon for single file compile  (Read 7361 times)

doscott

Request: Add Icon for single file compile
« on: September 21, 2005, 08:07:53 pm »
Perhaps the sprocket with a 1, or half of a sprocket. It should compile the currently focused tab.

Not an urgent requirement, but it is a pain to find the file in the tree view when it is not shown.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Re: Request: Add Icon for single file compile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 08:21:03 pm »
Ctrl-Shift-F9?
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

doscott

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 08:34:16 pm »
For us old guys with carpel tundrel in both hands an icon would be nice.  :lol:

This one for me would be more useful than the "New Project" one in terms of the amount of use. Anyhow, I'm sure someday it will all be configurable anyways.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 09:02:16 pm »
Just wondered if you were aware of the shortcut ;)
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

doscott

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 09:22:02 pm »
Yes, I think I've been through just about every menu.

I started looking for a good IDE that would work under both Linux and Windows a couple of years ago. I found MinGW Developer Studio, but when Parinya disappeared for a while, and his instance that he won't open source it, I kept looking.

Next was Eclipse/CDT. This has really come a long ways, and so far is the best under Linux. It works great under Windows as well, but it doesn't really work well with resource files.

I then stumbled across Code::Blocks (windows) and gave it a try. Under windows it is the best I have found so far. Compared to Eclipse it has the following pluses:
+single file compile
+doesn't carry the bulk of java

Under Linux so far it has been a bit frustrating, but I realize it is early yet:
-single file compile checks all files before compiling the single one
-watches not working

The only thing I don't like, and maybe you can explain why, is the requirement for a dynamic wxWidgets build with unicode, instead of allowing a static build with or without unicode. It's all easy enough to get around in Windows, but I haven't figured out how in Linux to accomodate both, and debugging with unicode is a pain.

Anyhow, keep up the excellent work.

grv575

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 11:40:20 pm »
The only thing I don't like, and maybe you can explain why, is the requirement for a dynamic wxWidgets build with unicode, instead of allowing a static build with or without unicode. It's all easy enough to get around in Windows, but I haven't figured out how in Linux to accomodate both, and debugging with unicode is a pain.

There's no reason that a static build shouldn't work (I don't think.  I believe the wxDockit and other stuff supports both dynamic & static builds).  It's just easier to support a recommended way of doing things.  If you want to do it a different way, then by all means, however realize that it may be more difficult for people using the current wxWidgets configuration to pinpoint difficulties, etc if you are having trouble compiling something using a different configuration.  That said, it ansi (non unicode) builds definately work.  On the linux side, have you tried passing different ./configure flags for the wxWidgets compile?  (./configure --help for a list).  It might be ./configure --enable-unicode=no or ./configure --disable-unicode

Codeblocks uses wx-config to find libs and headers under linux, so any build you use of wxWidgets should be detected if wx-config points to the proper build and so it should just work (given proper wx-config setup or configuration selection... try wx-config --list if you have more than one configuration compiled).

doscott

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 11:59:10 pm »
I guess I must have misread the requirements for a unicode build for Code::Blocks. I will eventually have to go that way, so now I'm just getting a head start  :D

Personally, I prefer static builds. Disk space is cheap and when you ship your app you know thats someone with a different set of flags and the same library name is not going to clobber you.

grv575

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 03:57:57 am »
Yeah but what if you use wxWidgets extensively...
and have a couple of apps that you wish to offer.

Then a library that the user must install makes sense
(MFC runtimes could have not been that much of a hassle at least in theory).

It looks much better to the customer to dl a 4M wx library plus 3-4 1-2M apps rather than making them waste bandwidth on 3-4M apps (from a man this stuff sure is bloated / must be a resource hog perspective even...)