Author Topic: Compiler Options  (Read 5357 times)

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
Compiler Options
« on: September 10, 2005, 11:12:09 pm »
Why is it that when I start a new project, you don't use the compiler options I selected in the program's global compiler setup? All the options in the build options dialog are always unchecked until I set them manually again per project.

C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~

Offline Urxae

• Regular
Re: Compiler Options
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 10:16:20 am »
The global settings aren't called "the default settings" for a reason: they're settings that are always used even if not set in the project settings. Rest assured that if it's enabled in the global settings, you don't have to turn it on in the project settings unless you plan on sharing you project over multiple computers with possibly different global settings and those settings are needed for your project to compile/link/whatever properly.
I agree that this can be confusing for new users though.

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 10:20:28 am »
It would be nice to know which are checked and which aren't however. There must be some happy middle ground? Maybe write the entries in blue (so the boxes can remain unchecked) if they are turned on globally.

If I check an option like 'optimize for windows application' does that mean that my new settings overwrite the global ones and anything that was checked in there is now unchecked in my build options? There is no indication of this (I think)
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 10:32:31 am »
The compiler options, don't form an inheritance tree. Any option you enable (global/project/target) will be added in the compiler's command line.
So, just enable the option where it makes more sense to you.
For example, I never use global compiler options. I only use project/target options, even if it makes setting up the project initially a little harder (depends on project size of course), it's easier to maintain.

I know this isn't the best design and it's bound to change with the new compiler framework. We 've seen the shortcomings of some design decisions and they will change for the better :)
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...