Author Topic: Installing a DevPak  (Read 13093 times)

Offline aditya_v

• Single posting newcomer
Installing a DevPak
« on: June 23, 2008, 04:25:02 pm »
Hi all,

I have migrated to Code::blocks from using Dev-cpp and enjoying it a lot.
In our university, we are taught gfx using graphics.h with TC  :shock:

anyways, some kind souls have wrapper Windows GDI so that graphics.h calls can be emulated in windows environment easily. There is a DevPak for this available in dev-cpp. http://devpaks.org/details.php?devpak=197
However, it isn't available for installation in Code::blocks, although i can extract and copy it around, i don't expect my colleagues would prefer this.

So, is there any method solve this issue?

Offline codeur

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Code::Blocks EDU-Portable
Re: Installing a DevPak
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 01:04:13 am »
in Code::Blocks, under the "Plugins" menu there is an option for the Dev-C++ DevPak unpdater/installer. I have not used it myself. Have you tried it?

In my university (in Melbourne, Australia) also we will soon be migrating from the Quincy IDE to Code::Blocks. For graphics under Quincy we also use BGI emulation under Windows. It's WinBGIm, but not the one distributed with Dev-C++ ( see http:WinBGIm.codecutter.net ). It works very well. When we make the shift, this is the BGI emulation we intend to distribute to our students. We'll also create a WinBGIm Code::Blocks project template so programming with BGI will only require selecting the correct kind of project. We'll also produce an installer to update the Code::Blocks template scripts and load the  library under MinGW...
As you see there is a fair bit of work involved, but Code::Blocks is MUCH better than Quincy, so it's worth it in the long run.

Keep us posted on your progress with this.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 01:07:09 am by codeur »

Offline aditya_v

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 10:18:58 am »
Its not available under DevPak installer. I think the version at codecutter.net is similar to the one at for dev-cpp ( guessing by dates )

I had searched around to find something similar like DevPak for codeblocks to create a package but have drawn a blank. My teacher really wanted the uni to shift to either OpenGL / WinBGIm based graphics. Since OpenGL is rather too advanced for simple theory being covered, WinBGIm is the ideal choice.

Offline codeur

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 12:53:19 am »
Its not available under DevPak installer
The codecutter version is not available as a DevPak installer (it is basically the same as the Devpak you have), but have you tried to install your DevPak under Code::Blocks using the updater/installer Code::Blocks plugin?

My teacher really wanted the uni to shift to either OpenGL / WinBGIm based graphics. Since OpenGL is rather too advanced for simple theory being covered, WinBGIm is the ideal choice.
Your teacher may have been thinking of OpenGL because it is portable to other operating systems. Your Uni may have (or want to have) some Linux labs.
For a simple (BGI-like) graphics library that works exactly the same the same under Windows and Linux, there is GRX (with SDL drivers), see http://grx.gnu.de/ . Less intuitive than BGI, but very simple nonetheless (like BGI it is not event-driven. This is what makes both BGI and GRX simple for beginners). GRX works very nicely, but the documentation that comes with is is not the best. GRX also comes with a BGI emulation, handy if you have old  turbo C programs that you want to port.
About 150 students have used GRX with SDL drivers under Code::Blocks 8.02 for half a semester under both Windows and Linux here. Students grumble at the beginning about the documentation, but soon get used to it. You just provide them with working examples, and off they go.
Our WinBGIm Code::Blocks installation will not be ready soon, but for GRX I could pass on to you, or whoever is involved in the installation at your uni all that is needed to get GRX projects installed seamlessly under Code::Blocks 8.02.
If interested in trying GRX under Code::Blocks, just send me a private message to get the libraries, project template and installation instructions that we used here.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:14:36 pm by codeur »

Offline aditya_v

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 06:37:51 am »
I don't really know about BGI emulation of GRX, I would love to see how it works out.

Offline codeur

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 02:11:44 pm »
I have never played with BGI under GRX (I prefer to use GRX directly). When you have completed the Code::Blocks GRX install and tried out the BGI emulation, please tell us what you think of it.