Author Topic: Not able to shut down application  (Read 4538 times)

wingri

Not able to shut down application
« on: March 19, 2008, 09:02:53 pm »
I was using an old version of wxwidgets and dev-cpp. I decided to upgrade it to 2.8.7
and I finally managed it to run under Code Blocks (I`m using wxPack). Everything works
fine, until I  get a runtime error (which I didn`t get in dev-cpp). Then, I`m not able to
quit running application. When I click on Abort I get
Code
Aborting process 0 ... Be patient!
but nothing happens. I have to force quite the program. But then, I can`t build application
again because it seems that there is a process which still uses it (and it
could not be rewrited or deleted). So I have to restart a computer.
Do you have any suggestions?

Another question. Application built under Code Blocks seems to be more slower then
the same appication bulit under the dev-cpp. Is there any way to make it faster?

I`m new to Code Blocks. I`m using Windows XP, Service Pack 2 and Code Blocks 8.02.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: Not able to shut down application
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 10:05:22 pm »
Do you have any suggestions?
Ctrl+Alt+Del, select your application's executable, KILL!!!

You could also try Process Explorer. It lets you kill programs, and even close handles. BTW, it used to be Sysinternal's, but M$ bought it (easier to absorb the products of another company than failing miserably trying to create something that good when you have the money to do so).

Another question. Application built under Code Blocks seems to be more slower then
the same appication bulit under the dev-cpp. Is there any way to make it faster?

Hmmm... just use the same compiler and compilation flags you used in Dev-C++ to get the same speed, or try more aggressive optimization flags to make it possibly faster. It totally depends on the compiler, not the IDE.

wingri

Re: Not able to shut down application
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 10:42:58 pm »
Thank you.

Ctrl+Alt+Del, select your application's executable, KILL!!!
Yes, it isn`t very elegant, but it works. :)

There is another program which starts when my application starts. I didn`t noticed it at first. When I shot down my application, this second program was still running, so it caused my problems. I also tried Process Explorer, it`s quite nice software.

Hmmm... just use the same compiler and compilation flags you used in Dev-C++ to get the same speed, or try more aggressive optimization flags to make it possibly faster. It totally depends on the compiler, not the IDE.
I thought, there could be some debugging information included, that made application slower. But, finally I`m able to run the same application in dev-cpp and the speed is the same. It`s quite interesting,that application that used the older version of wxwidgets was quite faster. I will try to change some flags.