Author Topic: version resource in linux  (Read 3388 times)

swave

version resource in linux
« on: January 07, 2008, 05:06:51 pm »
Hi

I'm new here. My question is only partly CodeBlocks related.

CB looks nice and I also saw the available plugins. One is the autoversioning. While reading the description I was wondering about resource files and linux. Resource files (.rc) can only be used on windows, but here the version is even readable from the compiled binary (e.g. explorer properties). It's not necessary to run the binary to get to the version (which is not even possible with dlls).

Is there a similar way to do in linux elf files? e.g. the resource file could be included in the binary in a separate .section and can then be read by a special tool. Has anyone here already created such a solution with CodeBlocks?

The "mytool --version" way may be nice but gives problems if the tool can't be run (e.g. missing dependencies, access rights etc). It would then be good to get to the version without the need to run the tool.

Thanks.

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
Re: version resource in linux
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 05:34:18 pm »
For my knowledge Is not possible to do that, what i have seen is the version number integrated into the name of the executable:

For example:
myprogram-1.10

and a link to the version without version info
myprogram links to myprogram-1.10

But it would be nice that the file format of elfs is changed to include version info and the option to add a default svg icon inside as a resource  :D

Thats a feature that many windows users miss!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 05:37:02 pm by JGM »