Author Topic: C::B and other IDE !!  (Read 11531 times)

boulabiar

C::B and other IDE !!
« on: December 18, 2007, 11:47:16 am »
Hi,

As you can see, many IDE are striking with force like Eclipse and Netbeans ! (you can freely order a DVD for the last and it will be sent to home !!!)

I want to ask if c::b developers are thinking for a method or something to do to promote their IDE, or even to get supported by a big firm (redhat has bought a closed source IDE and plan to open source it...)
http://www.osnews.com/story.php/19030/Red-Hats-Open-Source-IDE

As you can see :
IBM => Eclipse
Sun => Netbeans
RedHat => JBoss develoer studio
--
KDE team => Kdevelop
gnome team => anjuta + glade

and they are all open source !!

If you plan to redesign it, it is better to begin from now !

boulabiar

Re: C::B and other IDE !!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 11:58:46 am »
May be I can advise you !

Try to improve embedded development layer ! (Microchip PIC, Atmel AVR, ST microcontrollers, ...)
Because the existing IDE aren't in a high level ! But they are becoming better day after day !

Another point of view is to send some promotional CDs to some Universities, this can be very helpful !

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 02:44:56 pm »
Hahaha, I don't think we really need to send out promotional CDs.  8)

We haven't even published one final version, and the website has not been significantly updated for 2 years (maybe I'll find time to turn in my promise in January).

Still, we have around 4000-7000 unique visitors (15k page hits, plus 30k hits on the RSS feed) per day on the main domain (twice as many hits from about 2000 moderately active and 150-200 daily active users on the forums). This is really not so bad considering that I've blacklisted half of China's and half of Russia's subnets.

Every nightly build, even if it is not significantly different from the 10 preceding ones is downloaded several thousand times within 4-6 hours of being published. I don't get it, but hey... it's cool.

Much to my surprise, I've read not too long ago that a Code::Blocks nightly build is in the Fedora 7 and 8 repos, and is going to be in RHEL/CentOS. Again... cool.

Now, consider that we are not RedHat, we are not IBM, and we are not Sun. We are just a bunch of people doing this whole thing in our free time. For that, this not a bad outcome at all.

Regarding Eclipse, Netbeans, and JBeans (which are pretty much the same), I don't think that we can compete, and we should not either. They have an entirely different philosophy and target audience. We would probably not be able to make that audience happy, and honestly, I wouldn't want to even try - it could only fail.

The same goes for the other two IDEs. KDevelop looks very nice, but it is sadly has this "K", and most people need "W", not "K". Or, they need "K" and "W" (or "K", "G", and "W"). So, for people developing under KDE, we probably can't compete with this IDE (and shouldn't), but for everyone else, KDevelop is probably not an option.

Anjuta, I once tried on Ubuntu (I think it was 6/10) when I was on holiday with no internet connection and wanted to try out something rather trivial. Foolishly enough, I had forgotten to take a copy of Code::Blocks.
So well... I ended up using gedit and running gcc from bash, because not even the editor component in Anjuta worked correctly (showing really strange overdraw errors). Of course this may have been due to some problem with my system, or it may just have been a bad version, or whatever. I'm not blaming Anjuta here, it's just what I experienced the single one time I tried it... so personally I don't feel like competing with this either.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 03:28:29 pm »
great stats!  :)

Offline Auria

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 04:35:59 pm »
Last time I tried NetBeans, it needed to show a progress bar when I selected "new file" :D that went to the trash very quickly

Offline Grom

• Almost regular
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 01:04:08 am »
Why you blackout some Russian and Chinese subnets?  :shock:
gcc+winXP+suse.

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 02:21:50 am »
I don't like eclipse.  I have a hard time getting past compiling (jit-ing) every time I want to run the program.  Just seem to be a waste of time.  With the exception of Anjuta, the others have been around for longer.  C::B is doing great.  I still like.
jmccay

a little light reading from the wxWidgets 2.6.2 readme: A detailed 2000-page reference manual is supplied in HTML, PDF and Windows Help form: see the docs hierarchy.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 06:13:32 am »
We have good reasons for tat. For example to limit our bandwidth consumption. You wouldn't imagine how often we get completely mindless/senseless/massively mis-configured downloads and status queries from bots/crawlers out of these networks. Due to that we had reached the bandwidth limit (which we thought was really almost impossible) several times at the end of the month in the past.
Say thank you to idiots that setup "brute-force crawlers".
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 12:36:35 pm »
That is because Chinese and Russians have an exorbitantly higher tendency to be abusive. I am not blocking someone because he is Chinese or Russian. However, it just so happens that the vast majority of addresses and address ranges that's blocked comes from Chína, followed by Russia (the two making up over 95%).

For example, one particular Chinese search bot which is now blocked was using up 3 times as much bandwidth as Google and Yahoo together and used to send upward of 200 requests per minute (many duplicate requests) from half a dozen IP addresses in the same subnet for 30-40 minutes. Twice per day, every day. Ironically, the affiliated search engine does not even index pages in English.
We cannot help it if people are just plain braindead, or careless, or both. But we don't have to serve them.

And then of course, there are the script kiddies and exploiters, and people who are just careless and run malware on their PC without knowing (or not caring about). Most of them aren't really important. They're unlikely to do any real damage, unless they chew up too much bandwidth that we would rather apply to our users. But still, we have an eye on them.

Maybe that's excessive, we should probably just ignore them, but it really doesn't cost more than a minute or two of reviewing per day, as most of it runs automated. A custom-made script filters out specific log records and usage patterns which may contain malicious behaviour. No, we are not telling you what we look for.
The extracted records are reviewed on a regular base. If the records look like you're really doing something that we don't like, you're blocked.
This can be a simple 24 hour DROP on the specific IP (often this is good enough to stop it, and often they're using dynamic IPs anyway), or it can be a permanent blacklist of the class C or class B subnet you're in if you're really a wanker - it depends.

Sure enough, we will occasionally hit innocent users with this too, that's bad luck, but we can't help it. If you brag about running web servers exploits and suddenly the person you were talking to kicks you in the face, then you know that you have met one. :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."