Author Topic: Issue with VC++ compiler options  (Read 9003 times)

wiz

Issue with VC++ compiler options
« on: August 19, 2005, 10:27:22 am »
Hi, everyone. My situation is as follows: I'm trying to build the Yake engine using CodeBlocks RC1-1 and Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit. I imported a .vcproj file inside CB and everything seems to work fine; but, when I begin the compilation, I receive the following message for each source file:

cl : Command line warning D4025 : overriding '/MDd' with '/MT'

This message is related with the debug settings.

In order to compile the engine correctly, I must remove the '/MT' option from the compiler, but I can't find a way of doing it! Does anyone know a way of achieving it?

Thanks in advance!  :D
Edgard

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
Re: Issue with VC++ compiler options
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 10:44:57 am »
Woudln't this be in the build options? Right click on the project, and select Build Options. There is a panel of boxes you can toggle, and then another tab with extra typed in commands. Should be in there.
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~

wiz

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 05:52:46 pm »
No, this isn't, I already looked up all of the options. The '/MT' option is set under the hood, and I can't find a way to access it...  :(

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 06:19:34 pm »
Are you sure that's NOT a linker message? (You know Microsoft tools, they do whatever they please)

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 08:56:01 pm »
"/MT" is selected with the Multi-threaded Runtime Library
"/MTd" is selected with the Multi-threaded Debug Runtime Library

select only one of the runtime options

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~

wiz

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 12:04:14 am »
Hi, again. Thanks for the tips, everyone! I think I've found the problem...  :oops:

Apparently, you can set the compiler options in three different places:

1. Right-clicking on a project, selecting 'Build options' and setting the compiler options for each build target separately;
2. Right-clicking on a project, selecting 'Build options' and setting common compiler options for all the build targets (clicking on the project name in the upper left corner of the dialog box);
3. Selecting the menu Settings>>Compiler and setting the options there.

Here's my guess: the compiler evaluates the options set in each of these cases in the opposite order I listed them, that is, first case 3, then case 2 and, finally, case 1. I'd set the '/MT' flag inside the Settings>>Compiler option, so it was staying in the rightmost side of the command line, being evaluated last and overriding the 'MDd' flag... what a mess I've made!!!

Anyway, once again, thanks for the tips! They were important so I could force my brain to find the solution!  :D

Best regards,
Edgard

PS: tiwag, the picture you attached shows the compiler options' names followed by their correspondent flags. How did you do it? Is it a CVS-based version?

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 08:26:11 am »
If what you said is true, then the checking isn't done regarding target / project / global options. In that case, it IS a bug. *PLEASE* file a bug report about it.

(And yes, that screenshot is of the CVS version :) )

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 09:22:32 am »
If what you said is true, then the checking isn't done regarding target / project / global options. In that case, it IS a bug. *PLEASE* file a bug report about it.

What he said is correct behaviour and it's not a bug.

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 12:45:56 pm »
PS: tiwag, the picture you attached shows the compiler options' names followed by their correspondent flags.
How did you do it? Is it a CVS-based version?
yes it annoyed me often that i didn't know which option is hidden under the description of the various entries in the listbox
so i decided to add the [option] itself in the listbox-description text.
i published a patch for that and in the meantime it's also incorporated into the cvs version.

wiz

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 05:56:37 pm »
Thank you, guys, no more doubts!  :D

zieQ

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 08:00:28 pm »
As a side note, actually there's no way to tell C::B that some compiler options are mutually exclusive. That's why there may be some problems/bugs with options. A redesign of the compiler plugin has been suggested but it's not for soon, sorry.

PS: I've just come back too ;)