Author Topic: [intro + need info] Would like lil more info to start.  (Read 5462 times)

Valmont

[intro + need info] Would like lil more info to start.
« on: August 15, 2005, 05:40:45 pm »
Goodday fellow C++ coders.

intro

I teach (mainly) junior university students ISO C++ in the Nethelands. I endorse DevCpp usually. Nevertheless it doesn't hurt to look around. Yesterday I was informed about the existance of Code::Blocks. First thing I did was downloading the Win32 (XP) version, latest release candidate obviously. Later I'll go for the Linux version. GCC/G++ is the compiler for me. My background is math and electrical engineering. On daily basis I concentrate on design instead on  "cool" code. So far about introducing myself. Feel free to ask any questions if you have them.

need a little help

1) Where in the IDE do I find detailed info about the current GCC/G++ version?
2) Am I allowed to use DevPacks to upgrade my GCC/C++ compiler. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?
3) The source code formatter "Astyle" is jolly handy. You won't believe the code format I sometimes receive from students.
Question: Where do I configure various settings like tabwidth. Currently it set by default on 4 sapaces. I would like 2 spaces. Furthermore I may want to enforce ANSI style formats. If it is possible to configure the built in Astyler then please do inform me.

That's it basically. Nothing fancy, just a starter so I can become productive with it asap within my domain.

Have a nice day,
Val

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: [intro + need info] Would like lil more info to start.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 05:55:19 pm »
1. The IDE currently has no function for displaying that, but you can of course always add --version to the compiler's extra options.
The "bundled" compiler coming with RC1 is gcc 3.4.2, and RC1-1 does not come with a compiler (install yourself, or use the one coming with Dev-CPP). I recommend installing MinGW separately, is a lot nicer.

2. Can't tell, have never used the DevPak plugin, but it sure should just work fine. Be sure not to mess your different installations and include/library paths, though. Best install one version of MinGW in one place and use that.

3. Here:
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 05:55:57 pm »
Good day! Glad you're trying it out.

Um, there isn't. You have to obtain it by hand by typing "g++ -v" from the command line.
Perhaps you could submit a feature request for a "get version" button in the compiler's settings.

2) Am I allowed to use DevPacks to upgrade my GCC/C++ compiler. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

You can use the devpack plugin as much as you want. The only pitfall would be NOT to do it while you're compiling something :P

3) The source code formatter "Astyle" is jolly handy. You won't believe the code format I sometimes receive from students.
Question: Where do I configure various settings like tabwidth. Currently it set by default on 4 sapaces. I would like 2 spaces. Furthermore I may want to enforce ANSI style formats. If it is possible to configure the built in Astyler then please do inform me.

I was going to answer that one, but someone already did  8)

Enjoy :)

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 06:01:02 pm »
[I really should be posting faster. I started typing this when there were no replies yet]

I teach (mainly) junior university students ISO C++ in the Nethelands.
There seem to be a disproportionate amount of Dutch people here :shock:. Then again, maybe I just notice them more as I'm one of them ;).

First thing I did was downloading the Win32 (XP) version, latest release candidate obviously. Later I'll go for the Linux version.
The Linux version is currently somewhat prone to crashing. Rick just today announced he thinks he's found the cause but also thinks it's going to take quite a lot of work to fix it.

Most detailed you'll find is Settings -> Compiler -> Programs tab, but that mostly lists the path settings. To get the actual version number (if that's what you meant), you'll have to run gcc --version from the command line manually, Code::Blocks won't do it for you.

Should work fine, but if the paths change be sure to go to the above-mentioned tab and click auto-detect or change them manually.

Settings -> Plugins' settings -> Source code formatter (AStyle)
It has a predefined ANSI setting, as well as K&R, Linux, GNU, Java and of course the ability to set everything just the way you like it.

Valmont

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 06:55:31 pm »
My gratitude is beyond imaginable borders so I wont express it :)
Just kidding. Thank you all for the very fast replies!

The first question that pops now is how I could have missed the Astyler config tabs? Don't ask don't ask :D.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 06:59:15 pm by Valmont »