User forums > Help

[intro + need info] Would like lil more info to start.

(1/1)

Valmont:
Goodday fellow C++ coders.

intro

I teach (mainly) junior university students ISO C++ in the Nethelands. I endorse DevCpp usually. Nevertheless it doesn't hurt to look around. Yesterday I was informed about the existance of Code::Blocks. First thing I did was downloading the Win32 (XP) version, latest release candidate obviously. Later I'll go for the Linux version. GCC/G++ is the compiler for me. My background is math and electrical engineering. On daily basis I concentrate on design instead on  "cool" code. So far about introducing myself. Feel free to ask any questions if you have them.

need a little help

1) Where in the IDE do I find detailed info about the current GCC/G++ version?
2) Am I allowed to use DevPacks to upgrade my GCC/C++ compiler. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?
3) The source code formatter "Astyle" is jolly handy. You won't believe the code format I sometimes receive from students.
Question: Where do I configure various settings like tabwidth. Currently it set by default on 4 sapaces. I would like 2 spaces. Furthermore I may want to enforce ANSI style formats. If it is possible to configure the built in Astyler then please do inform me.

That's it basically. Nothing fancy, just a starter so I can become productive with it asap within my domain.

Have a nice day,
Val

thomas:
1. The IDE currently has no function for displaying that, but you can of course always add --version to the compiler's extra options.
The "bundled" compiler coming with RC1 is gcc 3.4.2, and RC1-1 does not come with a compiler (install yourself, or use the one coming with Dev-CPP). I recommend installing MinGW separately, is a lot nicer.

2. Can't tell, have never used the DevPak plugin, but it sure should just work fine. Be sure not to mess your different installations and include/library paths, though. Best install one version of MinGW in one place and use that.

3. Here:

rickg22:
Good day! Glad you're trying it out.

--- Quote from: Valmont on August 15, 2005, 05:40:45 pm ---1) Where in the IDE do I find detailed info about the current GCC/G++ version?

--- End quote ---

Um, there isn't. You have to obtain it by hand by typing "g++ -v" from the command line.
Perhaps you could submit a feature request for a "get version" button in the compiler's settings.

--- Quote ---2) Am I allowed to use DevPacks to upgrade my GCC/C++ compiler. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?
--- End quote ---

You can use the devpack plugin as much as you want. The only pitfall would be NOT to do it while you're compiling something :P

--- Quote ---3) The source code formatter "Astyle" is jolly handy. You won't believe the code format I sometimes receive from students.
Question: Where do I configure various settings like tabwidth. Currently it set by default on 4 sapaces. I would like 2 spaces. Furthermore I may want to enforce ANSI style formats. If it is possible to configure the built in Astyler then please do inform me.

--- End quote ---

I was going to answer that one, but someone already did  8)

Enjoy :)

Urxae:
[I really should be posting faster. I started typing this when there were no replies yet]

--- Quote from: Valmont on August 15, 2005, 05:40:45 pm ---I teach (mainly) junior university students ISO C++ in the Nethelands.

--- End quote ---
There seem to be a disproportionate amount of Dutch people here :shock:. Then again, maybe I just notice them more as I'm one of them ;).

--- Quote ---First thing I did was downloading the Win32 (XP) version, latest release candidate obviously. Later I'll go for the Linux version.

--- End quote ---
The Linux version is currently somewhat prone to crashing. Rick just today announced he thinks he's found the cause but also thinks it's going to take quite a lot of work to fix it.

--- Quote ---1) Where in the IDE do I find detailed info about the current GCC/G++ version?

--- End quote ---
Most detailed you'll find is Settings -> Compiler -> Programs tab, but that mostly lists the path settings. To get the actual version number (if that's what you meant), you'll have to run gcc --version from the command line manually, Code::Blocks won't do it for you.

--- Quote ---2) Am I allowed to use DevPacks to upgrade my GCC/C++ compiler. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

--- End quote ---
Should work fine, but if the paths change be sure to go to the above-mentioned tab and click auto-detect or change them manually.

--- Quote ---3) The source code formatter "Astyle" is jolly handy. You won't believe the code format I sometimes receive from students.

--- End quote ---
Settings -> Plugins' settings -> Source code formatter (AStyle)
It has a predefined ANSI setting, as well as K&R, Linux, GNU, Java and of course the ability to set everything just the way you like it.

Valmont:
My gratitude is beyond imaginable borders so I wont express it :)
Just kidding. Thank you all for the very fast replies!

The first question that pops now is how I could have missed the Astyler config tabs? Don't ask don't ask :D.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version