Author Topic: How about a stable version of CB  (Read 24608 times)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Re: How about a stable version of CB
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 08:33:12 pm »
I'm anxiously waiting for the final version. I'm quite sure that once it sees the light it will be a revolution comparable to Firefox. Having in mind that the project is only 3 years old (at least starting from beta4), I'd say it's worth waiting for the final release.

Offline quBit

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 01:07:41 am »
       Since C::B aims to be platform-independent, there's no problem in using wxWidgets, my issue was for UIs on a Windows platform for which wxWidgets is not a happy choice. Now, please do not drive the discussion in the direction of discussing UI toolkits, my point was that C::B is an ergonomic IDE which is not coupled with any toolkit for developing UI applications. How it was built, has little or no importance for the person who uses it to develop something. Personally I do not like wxWidgets (on a Win32 platform). I prefer lightweight toolkits which target only the UI logic. I have my reasons which I am not going to discuss here and neither should other people who participate in this topic's discussion.

Please remember the most basic rule: A developer MUST have a reliable tool both from a psychological perspective (aka stable version) and from a concrete one (aka some form of guarantees: many people are using it and it works fine or it has some corectness proofs). He must focus on the work he does and not on the tool that he is working with. The tool must serve him well. If you are focusing more on the IDE than on what really matters (the program that you are writing) than either you are writing a 'hello world' program, either you should look for some other tool to help you reach your objective and not to distract you. The beginner always discovers and tests new things, while the professional thinks about the best solution. Having a good quality IDE is a more sensible issue than most people think. It is not a coincidence that commercial IDEs cost so much. Have you heard of a developer that is 100% satisfied with its IDE?
       A forum user posted in this topic's thread that he loves to see frequent updates. Well, nightly builds are not updates as in the accepted meaning of the term 'update' in the software development world. Although they 'update', they are not 'updates'. An update is a patch to a well established set of 100% functional features which changes or adds something. Bugs can always be present or can even be dormant for years, but in a release stage bugs are not assumed !!! In any other case, the project is either in alpha stage, either in beta stage and is preparing for a release after its users' feedback.

Still waiting for a final version of C::B  :wink:. Keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 02:04:37 am by quBit »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 09:35:24 am »
* why not to put more effort on the wiki, it's very important for new developpers, and sometimes, it lacks for informations, and the user have to go through the forum ...
You know how a WiKi works, don't you?! I wonder if you have updated the WiKi after you had found "solutions" in the forum. The WiKi is for everyone. So please do and don't just claim others to do.
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

dr snuggles

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 10:47:47 am »
I would be extremely happy with an automatic installer for the nightly build, which contains everything. Just click and play :).

Some websites have a build with automatic installer, but its ancient. Reason for the automatic installer: Friends around me stopped trying it after failing to install all files correctly, although it is really great. I also agree with the topic starter.

Offline manmach

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 12:15:32 pm »
Reason for the automatic installer: Friends around me stopped trying it after failing to install all files correctly, although it is really great. I also agree with the topic starter.

To be honest, people who can't even get all the files installed correctly really have no business using an IDE.

I would add a smiley, except that I'm only half joking.

Offline Auria

• Almost regular
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 11:36:10 pm »
I understand the need to get astable SDK, but i think the pages "improvements", "what's new" and "known bugs" need to be updated or removed because their current state is very bad publicity for Code::Blocks. Perhaps also keeping links to nightlies for some popular distros as it's not very nice that newcomers need to search through threads to find nightlies for their platform

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2007, 05:35:05 am »
       A forum user posted in this topic's thread that he loves to see frequent updates. Well, nightly builds are not updates as in the accepted meaning of the term 'update' in the software development world. Although they 'update', they are not 'updates'. An update is a patch to a well established set of 100% functional features which changes or adds something. Bugs can always be present or can even be dormant for years, but in a release stage bugs are not assumed !!! In any other case, the project is either in alpha stage, either in beta stage and is preparing for a release after its users' feedback.

Well, then maybe windows xp and vista where still alpha or beta products when first launched on the market (those service packs are really huge)  So that makes all windows users like my self beta testers  :D

For me the word "update" on software is relative, since imho, software is always changing (do we really have a final version at all?). It's our point of view if we think the software is done or not. Many commercial companies throw there software as a final release even knowing it has bugs, but thats just marketing$$$, then correct the problems with "updates" (or completely core changes), but hey I'm using codeblocks as my principal tool, marked as final release or not it works 100% for my needs! There are some advanced users willing for more, but I'm happy with it.

At least we have a working IDE, and we can be sure that we will have a great and polished product once the developers think is finished! :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 05:45:36 am by JGM »

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2007, 05:43:51 am »
I would be extremely happy with an automatic installer for the nightly build, which contains everything. Just click and play :).

Then maybe an inno setup or nsis script donation would be nice for windows users, and some autopackage to create a single binary distribution for all Linux distros.

Open source also means: feel free to contribute  :) Hey that sounds great for a signature  8)

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
Re: Installer for CodeBlocks IDE with Integrated MinGW C/C++ Compiler
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2007, 07:56:11 am »
I Personally Feel that by this installer u will feel that it as the stable version.
Requesting only a response from ur side as a E-mail of Thanx if it is really becomes helpful to u.
Thanks!!!

Dear Manmohan,

Please don't hijack a thread. IMHO, you're doing more to popularize your website than doing something for the community.

Regarding ur site, you still seem to ignore the request made by Thomas to publish the source of the binary that you are distributing. That means you are not complying with GPL.

Also, please refrain from copying the contents of one site to your site to your site without the prior permission from the Copyright holder. A major portion of contents of your Site's download page has been copied from the Download page of Code::Blocks home page. That's a clear violation of Copyright Law. If you don't know what Copyright Law is, Google it.

I would request you to obey the forum rules and avoid cross posting. Otherwise, You may get banned in future.
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Installer for CodeBlocks IDE with Integrated MinGW C/C++ Compiler
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2007, 08:29:23 am »
http://www.brahmainformatics.page.tl/
Please, what is so hard to understand?
If you provide binaries to C::B SVN releases revision XXX you have to release the sources to revision XXX, too.
It is not enough to provide sources to an outdated version of C::B. Especially if you link to the sourceforge page which is outdated in addition.

You have to do the following:
- upload the sources you used to compile C::B to your server

Otherwise you are violating copyright law! If you do that you will be banned. It is as simple as that. Time is ticking.

With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline LeRoi

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2007, 06:42:49 pm »
* why not to put more effort on the wiki, it's very important for new developpers, and sometimes, it lacks for informations, and the user have to go through the forum ...
You know how a WiKi works, don't you?! I wonder if you have updated the WiKi after you had found "solutions" in the forum. The WiKi is for everyone. So please do and don't just claim others to do.
With regards, Morten.

you are right, I hope I will contribute soon

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2008, 09:22:21 pm »
Hi and happy new year  :D

This thread started about 2 months ago, and I was wondering if there is any new info on when a stable version of C::B will be made  :?:

I do follow the nightly builds more or less and they mostly work fine. But I find it hard to promote this excellent IDE with its great wxSmith etc. when there is no recent stable release available or planned. So I reiterate my wish that a stable release is established sooner rather than later.   :idea: I would suggest announcing a date and stick to that.

In any case, applause for a fantastic IDE :wink:

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2008, 01:13:37 am »
I don't think Code::Blocks has near future plans to do a release.
But, could the Code::Blocks Team do an beta addition to make it easier on newbies.

The questions on RC2 are getting very old, I would hope a beta on sf.net would stop them.

Tim S
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

kesselhaus

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2008, 06:47:20 am »
I also would like to see more stable releases. Updating on every Nightly Build is just no real option.
Also looking through the nightly builds changelogs, I wonder what is all part of the SDK. Somehow I wonder, if this project is really well organized. Regularly, there are plugins listed in the changelogs. Why? Are plugins part of the IDE? Are they part of the SDK?

Why not release the IDE? Users can work with it, get acquainted, maybe you get more feedback then too. I don't think, the users of the IDE would much care about the SDK first. Also, releasing the SDK more often, developers could write plugins with a rather fixed API. If there would be an API break, release another one (but not on as nightly builds). I don't think a plugin developer wants to update its SDK every night.
And for all that guys who run for nightly builds, you can still provide them, but a rather fixed release cycle would be good too.

Maybe you should also take a look on Eclipse CDT, which uses a similar approach.

I also must say, that some statements about being an 'open source project and to help' or 'it just takes 2 minutes to download and install' or 'Windows is alpha/beta', just piss me off and make me try to avoid such projects. This makes me think, these people don't work in real software development area. They have no clue what it takes to:

a) trying to get into a software in order to contribute
b) never released real life software in the industry
c) have no clue on, what is allowed to use in software industry (may it be PC software or maybe something like embedded software used in industry or automotive which must be "safe" to use)
d) some here might not have that superduper 16MBit DSL connection, but only Modem/ISDN/GPRS. Then its not just 2 minutes download. Or if you do not have a flat rate but rather an Volume-rate.

Also, not every software engineer is keen in all areas. E.g. someone working on embedded devices might not have written GUI apps for years. So its hard for them to contribute to something like CodeBlocks. And to call them brain damaged, a dumb ass who does not contribute, can just come out off the mouth of a similar dumb ass.

Still want to express my regards to the developers for the good work done so far.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2008, 07:11:02 am »
d) some here might not have that superduper 16MBit DSL connection, but only Modem/ISDN/GPRS. Then its not just 2 minutes download. Or if you do not have a flat rate but rather an Volume-rate.

I was on a Dial-up connection when I started using Code::Blocks and I was able to get one good binary download out of about 5 trys. I used SVN from the beginning because it worked better over a slow connect then trying to download binary. The first time checkout was hard, but after that the updates was very easy.

Tim S
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org