Author Topic: Small feature request  (Read 7213 times)

dempl_dempl

Small feature request
« on: October 25, 2007, 02:12:53 am »
Small feature request - please do it A.S.A.P it would take you a 10 minutes, and it would save everybody's time a lot.

It's about adding files to project.
Folks ,  try adding one more button like 'Add files' on the 'Open Dialog', which doesn't shut the window.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 06:39:53 pm by dempl_dempl »

Offline deadneurons

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Small feature request
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 04:21:16 am »
You can use Add Files Recursively can you not?
Maybe you just missed it....just maybe.

dempl_dempl

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 05:48:38 pm »

Nope, it's not the same thing

Offline rhf

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 07:27:44 pm »
Sounds similar to the feature I requested some time back - BerliOS Feature Request #3547. I sure would like something like this.
Thanks,

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 08:50:47 pm »
not quite what you want, but see: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,6297.0.html

link to project page in my sig (see ShellExtensions plugin download).

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 10:52:27 am »
Now just tell me how to add a button to wxWidget's file selector box without doing a complete rewrite, and I'll do it in the next 10 minutes :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 02:07:28 pm »
Oh by the way... did you know you can select more than one file or file ranges by holding down the Ctrl and Shift key, respectively? This will allow you to add 2 or 3, or 20 files to your project in one go.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

dempl_dempl

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 12:39:09 am »
And try going to the parent directory to select some more...
Folks, 'Apply' -like  button haven't killed any program so far :) .

BTW, I have a nightly code::blocks and it's, of course, rather buggy.
Where can man find a stable release ,which is not to much outdated?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 12:43:20 am by dempl_dempl »

dempl_dempl

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 01:01:57 am »
Now just tell me how to add a button to wxWidget's file selector box without doing a complete rewrite, and I'll do it in the next 10 minutes :)

Very simply... you m of course write you own open dialog box. You do that for three days.
You add a plug-in capability to it. That will take another 7 days.

You add a new button in 10 minutes :) .

You made entire environment plug-in-able,  congrats,
but ... you've missed a spot :) ...

Really... this is so dumb that we are even discussing it. This Code::Blocks really has a lot of potential.
Entire environment is plug-in-able, like Eclipse, and can easily become the best C++ environment.
It's really shame you go over things like these. 

Generally, this little things are very important. Code::Blocks can do many stuff Visual C++ , Borland C++ Builder and Delphi,
KDevelop and Anjuta cannot do , and won't be able in the near future  , but if you don't pay attention to some details, and keep
it buggy as it is... it will just remain a very cool tech-demo. Something from which other IDEs can get their inspiration from.

I don't like being a critic. Everyone wants to be the critic these days :) .
Code::Blocks team has shown top-level programming skills,  and a great design skills. 
Again, I say, it's really a shame to let this small things like these to ruin the great general impression about the program.

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 01:12:56 am by dempl_dempl »

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 05:47:28 am »
nice rant  :roll:

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 02:45:49 pm »
Your answer shows that you have no idea about how complex the matter is :)

Adding a control to the OS file selector is possible under most operating systems, but wxWidgets does not give us a handle to the dialog, so there is no going. The only way to show anything different than the standard thing, you have to write your own.

I have been working on the entire path handling system (including a file selector box) for over three weeks now, not only three days. This is nowhere near something one can implement in 3 days, at least not properly.

Yes, I know about wxGenericDirCtrl, thank you. No need to point it out, we need something that works and is usable.

dempl_dempl

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 04:02:49 pm »
Adding a control to the OS file selector is possible under most operating systems, but wxWidgets does not give us a handle to the dialog, so there is no going. The only way to show anything different than the standard thing, you have to write your own.
You use standard file selector? Ugggrrrh.

You're right, I really don't know anything about wxWidgets.
But, then , if it's so hard to do stuff like that, then  it was a really bad move to choose that framework, and I'm glad I don't know anything about it.
This is usually considered to be a very easy task.
So far , I've been working in  Qt, GTK+ , VCL , CLX , MFC and Swing.
Qt is free , cross-platform and works with C++ .
In all of them, making such functionality ( without plugins  ) is trivial.

If you can't make a new Form window, put a few buttons on it, and connect them with events,
and to call it with form->showModal() , there is nothing to discuss.

I don't work with interface much, I work with server apps,
but I would need 60 minutes max, to create such window with frameworks mentioned.
And that's making the completely new form.

I'm not going to debate over this anymore. If it's hard to do it , and you know wxWidgets  better than me ,
just put it somewhere in somewhere in  TODO list.

Thanks for your time, anyway.

Offline eranif

• Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 04:46:15 pm »
Quote from: thomas
but wxWidgets does not give us a handle to the dialog, so there is no going

Quoting from the wxWidgets manual:

wxWindow::GetHandle
void* GetHandle() const

Returns the platform-specific handle of the physical window. Cast it to an appropriate handle, such as HWND for Windows, Widget for Motif, GtkWidget for GTK or WinHandle for PalmOS.

Eran

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 07:17:38 pm »
If you can't make a new Form window, put a few buttons on it, and connect them with events,
and to call it with form->showModal() , there is nothing to discuss.

I don't work with interface much, I work with server apps,
but I would need 60 minutes max, to create such window with frameworks mentioned.
And that's making the completely new form.
Well, if you're such a great champion, feel free to contribute a new file selector box in the next 60 minutes max. Otherwise, to say it bluntly, shut up.

Before you start, remember that it has to work under Windows, Linux, and MacOs as a minimum, it must be able to deal with those platforms' pecularities (including, but not limited to things like Windows Volume names, UNC filenames, common Unix mount points, and the like). If you can't provide that for at least those 3 platforms in an intuitive way, don't even think about starting.

So much for the absolute minimum "must" list. There is a "should" list which addresses the shortcomings of the present handling too, it's about twice as long, and inlcludes things like relative/absolute path handling, URLs, IDE variables, previews, etc...
I'll take your word on it that this takes no longer than 3 days to implement.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 07:22:48 pm »
I forgot to add: wxGenericDirCtrl is not acceptable.