Author Topic: Won't compile! Help!!!  (Read 8062 times)

Zeus

Won't compile! Help!!!
« on: August 08, 2005, 03:44:35 am »
Omg when I go to compile....it only works when I have a project open. If I go to compile a program under "Opened Files" all the compile options are greyed out except; "Compile Current File" "Errors --> Clear All Errors" and "Compile Options". When I click "Compile current file" , it gives me an error saying

cl.exe /nologo   /c "C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\prog.cpp" /Fo"C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\prog.obj"
Command execution failed...

But when I have a project open, I can compile it just fine (except when there's bugs...and if anyone can tell me where the debugger is for Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 is that would be much appreciated). It's very weird. So again

Here's the problem in a nutshell for anyone who didn't feel like reading what I posted above..

The program won't compile unless I have it inside of an opened project.

Please help, and thank you all

grv575

Re: Won't compile! Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 03:58:39 am »
command execution failed usually means it can't find the executable.  make sure cl.exe is in the PATH or the directories CB searches (check compile->compiler options->programs->additional paths).

Zeus

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 04:18:30 am »
thanks for the response

yes cl.exe is the path for the C and C++ compiler option boxes...

here's a pic

grv575

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 04:34:09 am »
OK, you're right I get the same behavior.  The compiler paths aren't used if the source file doesn't belong to a project.  I'd submit a bug if one hasn't been submitted already.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 06:47:48 am »
OK, you're right I get the same behavior.  The compiler paths aren't used if the source file doesn't belong to a project.  I'd submit a bug if one hasn't been submitted already.

Please do, the "compile single file" option was implemented in the last minute, so it needs a lot of work.

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 08:30:24 am »
we should remove this "Compile current file" possibility anyway

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 08:03:41 pm »
Oh no... it's the most asked-for feature! We should fix it instead.

Zeus

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 08:04:04 pm »
k i reported the bug with a priority of 8/9

grv575

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 10:18:49 pm »
Oh, sorry should have post that I already reported it yesterday.  Btw, it only happens when using VC++ Toolkit 2003 as the compiler.  It works correctly when GCC is being used (haven't tested other compilers).