Author Topic: Win32 CBTortoiseSVN plugin under subversion control  (Read 38760 times)

Offline Jan van den Borst

• Multiple posting newcomer
Win32 CBTortoiseSVN plugin under subversion control
« on: September 14, 2007, 12:22:26 pm »
Some time ago I wrote a codeblocks plugin for using subversion under codeblocks (win32). It is called CBTortoiseSVN and uses TortoiseSVN(*) as its engine.

It can be found at:

http://tools.assembla.com/svn/CBTortoiseSVN/CBTortoiseSVN/trunk

(*) TortoiseSVN and subversion must be installed

jan

Offline Keyla

Re: Win32 CBTortoiseSVN plugin under subversion control
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 05:11:39 pm »
IMHO Version control is a very important task for a IDE. But I don't understand why the plugin doesn't make direct calls of the SVN tools. IMHO this would make it able to build it crossplatform?

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 09:39:56 pm »
I agree in general, but making a plugin that equals tortoisesvn is not a trivial thing I'm afraid.
Jan

Offline Keyla

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 09:13:55 pm »
Of course this won't be an easy job. But it might be a very clear solution :). I think there are a lot of ready to use snipplets for this task out in the web.
The question is what features a normal user uses and if that were implemented for use under every OS it would be quite nice  :P

Alca Isilon

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 11:32:26 pm »
How about using parts of TortoiseSVN's code to start with ? It is licensed GPL AFAIK, so that shouldn't cause any problems.

When looking at parts of Tortoise's code I notice that it's build directly on top of libsvn (apart from the GUI that is).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 11:34:56 pm by Alca Isilon »

Offline Keyla

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 08:05:11 pm »
Nevertheless I agree completely with Jan, it's a lot of work.
If you are realy interested in a complete rewrite I would recommend a poll of how the users would like to have the workflow  :)

Offline darthdespotism

• Almost regular
    • Coder's Nemesis
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 08:33:03 pm »
If you are really about to start this I'll help ;)

For what it should be like: I _really_ liked subclipse back when I used Eclipse/CDT (It's the only thing I miss on C::B) something like this would be great!

Offline fiammy

• Nebulagame
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 09:59:52 pm »
Nice.
I tried a download of this plugin somewhere ont he forums, but I couldn't get it to work. Is there anything I should be doing to get it in a working state with a current C::B version?

Nice work btw, this is a part that is generally the stumbling block for most semi- to professional work with Non-VC IDEs.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 02:47:48 am »
Nice.
I tried a download of this plugin somewhere ont he forums, but I couldn't get it to work. Is there anything I should be doing to get it in a working state with a current C::B version?

Nice work btw, this is a part that is generally the stumbling block for most semi- to professional work with Non-VC IDEs.

Compiling Code::Blocks and the Plugin from SVN seems to work for me.

Under TortiseSVN "Plugin Settings" "path"
Note: I had to set the path for svn.exe and TortoiseProc.exe

Also, I had to change to "project based commands" under Under TortiseSVN "Plugin Settings". I think this might be a bug in the plugin using SVN 26; going to revert my changes and try it unmodified. Reverted my changes and still only worked in "project based commands"; note I did not try it in "workspace based commands". False problem, the file based commands works on active file in editor, I did not have file open in editor.

Note, I had to add "C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin" to my path or to Compiler "Additional Paths" to get "Tortise SVN settings" to work.

Tim S
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 08:25:19 pm by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 09:35:26 pm »
Note, I had to add "C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin" to my path or to Compiler "Additional Paths" to get "Tortise SVN settings" to work.

fixed in rev.28

Jan

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 10:40:57 pm »
Thanks for the fix, I had an error trying "Check for Modifacations" with the normal svn-win32-1.4.5 svn.exe so I am using CollabNet Subversion; CollabNet Subversion worked without a problem. The problem was inside svn.exe, not your code.

Tim S
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Keyla

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 05:46:02 pm »
IMHO the usage of the rootfolder for SVN/CVS is quite different.
On the one hand a lot of people check in only the sourcecode, others (including myself) like it to check everything in. This includes documentations, resources ... but not the final binary. Therefor a 'clean all' and a wizzard for choosing an upper rootfolder / creating directorytrees like
Code
project
-bin
-doc
-res
-src
-test
would be realy nice :-)

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 11:10:40 pm »
IMHO the usage of the rootfolder for SVN/CVS is quite different.
On the one hand a lot of people check in only the sourcecode, others (including myself) like it to check everything in. This includes documentations, resources ... but not the final binary. Therefor a 'clean all' and a wizzard for choosing an upper rootfolder / creating directorytrees like
Code
project
-bin
-doc
-res
-src
-test
would be realy nice :-)

Could you perhaps explain some more?
Jan

Offline Keyla

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 10:31:30 am »
Of course. The most 'old school' coder use this directory tree because this makes it easy to collect all files for a release, teamworking,... . But the problem is that it is sometimes not nescessary to check in SVN executables, generated docs,... so everything that could be generated by the user after unchecking from the reposity. It would be cool if this files could be deleted before check in to save resources.

On the other side a lot of developers like it to put everything just in one folder and submit it to the reposity.

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 12:18:01 pm »
Couldn't you use the svn:ignore property to exclude unwanted files and intermediates?

Jan