Author Topic: A few issues i've found with the latest build of CB  (Read 3747 times)

Anubis

A few issues i've found with the latest build of CB
« on: September 09, 2007, 01:16:52 pm »
I've been using CB for active development for about a month now (however only just recently using the nightly builds), and I thought I'd start posting a list of bugs, and potential improvements I find along the way, to help improve the usability of CB, and productivity of people who also actively use it...

Here's an excerpt from my reply to one of the nightly builds, this applies to build 4439.

First time i've actually used a nightly build, but a few bugs i've noticed off the top of my head...
(Compiled and running on Linux/Gentoo Amd64)

1) Find/Replace in Files works,  Find Replace does not.
(It seems clicking OK in that dialog only checks for text in the Replace in Files tab, and not the standard Replace tab, which results in a "Can't look for an empty search criterion!" error, and the freplace not proceeding.)
Additionally, clicking from the Replace in Files tab, to the Replace tab doesn't change input focus to the Replace tab's search text box...

2) Saving a workspace still doesn't add the proper workspace file extension on to the end, which results in not being able to open it without renaming it...

3) (Not sure if this is a bug, or intended...) When adding new files to a project (ctrl+shift+N), and asked to save the file... the file save dialog always defaults it's starting location to the project location...
Wouldn't it be better to a) start from where the previous 'new' file in that project was saved to, b) where the majority of the project's files are saved to, or c) have each project define a 'source' directory... which it always defaults to as the top-most directory for source code files...
(because I for one know my source directory is no where near my project directory... I have to navigate through ~8 folders to get to my source directory for the architecture i'm building)

Beyond that, lookin' good guys Smile   - Starting to think I should contribute Smile

EDIT:
4) Opening the find dialog (ctrl+F) doesn't automatically put input focus to the find dialog's search text box... you have to manually click in the box before it has input.

5) When adding a (new?) file to an existing project, you sometimes get a progress bar come up 'over' the dialog to select what builds to include the file in...

6) When you change settings in a project, it doesn't mark the project as dirty, so it never thinks it has to be rebuilt...   Really frustrating, along with no project dependencies in a workspace... :\

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: A few issues i've found with the latest build of CB
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 03:21:24 pm »
this applies to build 4439
[...]
Saving a workspace still doesn't add the proper workspace file extension on to the end
Not true. This was added in 4428. Granted, I did not test it then, as it was too trivial a fix. However, I just tried with the revision 4430 that I use for work, and it certainly does append the extension as it should.

Opening the find dialog (ctrl+F) doesn't automatically put input focus to the find dialog's search text box
This works 100% reliably under Windows and Ubuntu (and most other distros to my knowledge). If that didn't work, I would be puking, believe me :P
I'm guessing that you are one of the victims of the Gentoo Syndrome.

When you change settings in a project, it doesn't mark the project as dirty, so it never thinks it has to be rebuilt
Yes, but this is intentional. Some options actually require a full rebuild, but the major part does not. The vast majority of compiler options can be changed transparently, and the differently compiled object files will work together just fine.
We intentionally let it like this with the reasoning that the developer has necessarily more knowledge and intelligence than the build system. So, if the developer makes a change to build flags, he should know/decide when a full rebuild is appropriate. Maybe we will build some kind of logic like this into the next revision of the build system, but don't count on it.

the file save dialog always defaults it's starting location to the project location
I didn't write that code, so I can't tell for sure, but I think it was intended. Whether intended or not, it is good for now, though.
We have a lot of tampering with file/path names in the application, and none of it is reliable or compatible with the rest. Every time we start tampering with something again, it gets worse, so this is a big NO-NO for now.
We'll need to address this (and most other things related to filenames), but not right now.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline rhf

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 08:06:40 pm »
3) ...When adding new files to a project ... I have to navigate through ~8 folders to get to my source directory for the architecture i'm building
I am not sure if this is the same as Anubis's suggestion, but once again I would really appreciate a context menu - right click - option for adding the active open file in the editor to the current project.
Thanks.

Anubis

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 07:09:54 am »
Hmm, I've made many workspaces with the current build and still no .workspace extension added by default.  (had to manually rename them all)

As for the ctrl+f dialog not gaining focus, i'll try it under another window manager (currently using xfce), and tweaking the xfce4wm settings.

The manual full rebuilds is understandable, just requires a bit of effort when maintaining a few projects with dependencies on one another.
The default source file save locations is something i can quickly change in the source code if need be, so that's not really an issue tbh.

Thanks heaps for your response :)

Oh, and 'gentoo syndrome', realistically there's no such thing... it's more of a noob syndrome of gentoo users, who don't seem to grasp use flags and dependencies very well. :)  Let alone compiling foreign (non portage packages), there are additional configuration steps involved before compiling, but anyways.