Author Topic: 64Bit compiler?  (Read 6347 times)

Offline Tjaalie

• Multiple posting newcomer
64Bit compiler?
« on: August 26, 2007, 08:15:14 pm »
Dear community,

I bough a new pc with a 64 dual core processor and now I wanted to be able to compile 64 bit code (ofcourse:D).
So I searched the net a bit for a 64 bit version of MinGW but it seems like there isn' t one. I tried to use a compiler options in Code::Blocks (the -march one for the Athlon64) but that still shows me sizeof(int) == 4. Is there some secrect compiler option im missing:D or is it only the professional edition of visual studio that can do 64 bit, or is there an other Code::Blocks suported compiler wich can help me?

Tjaalie,

EDIT: Btw im using WinXP64 professional

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: 64Bit compiler?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 08:25:13 pm »
MinGW does not offer 64 bits at the present time, and to my knowledge, there is no other free compiler for Windows that does (although this may be wrong... possibly Cygwin does?).
The Intel compiler and the professional version of the Microsoft one should support 64 bit, but they cost money, of course. It is not only about the size of a pointer, there is an entirely different ABI and everything for 64 bits (bigger register set, wider registers, other calling conventions,...).
For the near future, I would not hope for a free 64 bit compiler for Windows (hopefully I'm wrong!).
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 09:24:41 pm »
MinGW has started work on the 64 bit, but I only see the MSys and Headers on their site and newsgroups.

I assume that a lot of work is needed before 64 bit is ready to go. Note, I am thinking AMD 64 bit will be ready before Intel 64 Bit.

Tim S
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 10:56:08 pm »
I found this link, but I have no idea if it'll work with Visual Studio Express 2005.

You could also try Beta 2 of Visual Studio 2008, but I didn't check anything about 64 bits support.

I also bought a 64 bits CPU this year (Intel Core 2 DUO), and the way I'm exploiting its potential is through a 64 bits Linux (Gentoo). I guess you want to continue using Windows. If you don't really mind, you could give Linux a try.

stahta01: Why do you say AMD 64 support will be ready before Intel 64? Both CPUs are using the x86_64 architecture (at least the desktop ones) :wink:

[edit]
I also found this link with some comments about "MinGW 64". It really shows they're working on it :D
[/edit]
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 11:08:57 pm by Ceniza »

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 11:14:37 pm »
stahta01: Why do you say AMD 64 support will be ready before Intel 64? Both CPUs are using the x86_64 architecture (at least the desktop ones) :wink:

AMD 64 is more like an extension of Intel 32 x86, in theory, you could get some of AMD 64 done and use it without all of MinGW GCC being fixed for 64-bit.

IA 64 is more of a change from Intel 32 x86, so I assume that more work is needed to get MinGW GCC to work.

In other words, full support may get done about the same time, but partial support might be easier for AMD 64.
--

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 11:54:02 pm »
Oh, you're talking about IA64, the one in the Itanium CPUs (which are targeted for servers). I'm talking about EMT64, which is Intel's implementation of AMD's 64 bits architecture.

It seems MinGW is working on support for x86_64, so it would include both AMD64 and EMT64.

Just in case, here's a link to Wikipedia about EMT64.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 02:00:57 am »
Oh, you're talking about IA64, the one in the Itanium CPUs (which are targeted for servers). I'm talking about EMT64, which is Intel's implementation of AMD's 64 bits architecture.

It seems MinGW is working on support for x86_64, so it would include both AMD64 and EMT64.

Just in case, here's a link to Wikipedia about EMT64.

Thanks, I must have missed the news when Intel announced EM64T; did not know about it being based on AMD64.

Tim S
--

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 01:21:37 am »
I was searching sf.net and found this "MinGW - Minimalist GNU for Windows 64"

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/

Tim S
--

Offline Tjaalie

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 01:11:48 pm »
Alright:D
Thank you very much I will check this out soon.

I also got the compiler you get with the Platform SDK to compile 64 bit code.