Author Topic: Code::Blocks with Flex/Bison  (Read 11358 times)

screetch

Code::Blocks with Flex/Bison
« on: August 15, 2007, 12:10:22 pm »
Hell all,

I have a project that uses SCons for building. However, for developpement, I have made a SCons target that builds Visual C++ 2005 solutions/projects. This is a custom (very badly written but very helpful) tool that generates _native_ solutions, not makefile projects that call SCons, so that I can build an individual file and benefit from the fastness of Visual incremental build (while SCons is very accurate, incremental builds are quite slow).

I wanted to add another target to create Code::Blocks workspace and cbp files. Just as the Visual solution, I'd rather have a native build than a makefile project. I ran into a little problem though : I have bison/flex files as well as files that need to be copied to the target directory (much like a "make install" except it doesn't install system wide, just locally).
I haven't found a way to have the bison/flex commands integrated to Code::Blocks at the moment.

Is there a way to add "custom build files" easily in code blocks ? when a file changes t might regenerate new files that need to be rebuilt... etc, and I'm not sure it works fine :(

Offline kisoft

• Almost regular
Re: Code::Blocks with Flex/Bison
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 01:03:46 pm »
I haven't found a way to have the bison/flex commands integrated to Code::Blocks at the moment.
My project being used bison and flex.
See pictures for explains.

[attachment deleted by admin]
wxWidgets: 2.8.12
CodeBlocks: Master github cbMakefileGen plugin:
https://github.com/kisoft/cbmakefilegen

screetch

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 05:53:10 pm »
I agree with you, but when I build a sample project, although it works it is always rebuilding the bison & flex files (which I don't want). Here is what happens :

- i do a full build. Everything is built so at the end everything is up to date.
- i do an incremental build. It rebuilds the parser.y and lexer.lex files, and relinks (without compiling any C file).
- i do an incremental build (yeah, again). It builds the parser.y and lexer.lex (I have set up these to have a smaller weight so they are built first) and THEN it builds again the two C files that have been generated.

then for each incremental build, it always rebuilds the y and lex files, but sometimes it rebuilds the C files as well and sometimes it doesn't.

So :
- the time stamps are checked when launching the build and you can't generate a file during the build for building in the same build
- it never checks the time stamp of the lex/yacc source file (it couldn't compare it to something else)

What it needs :
- it needs to know what are the outputs of the build step
- then it can compare the time stamps and see if one of the outputs is out of date
- then the outputs can be matched to files in the project so that they will be compiled again if the previous step has done the compilation

hope I'm clear.

Offline kisoft

• Almost regular
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 09:17:26 am »
I agree with you, but when I build a sample project, although it works it is always rebuilding the bison & flex files (which I don't want). Here is what happens :

You right. I confirm it. I set priority too :)

So :
- the time stamps are checked when launching the build and you can't generate a file during the build for building in the same build
- it never checks the time stamp of the lex/yacc source file (it couldn't compare it to something else)

You can look dependencies in the <projectname>.depend file. I have no time now.

What it needs :
- it needs to know what are the outputs of the build step
- then it can compare the time stamps and see if one of the outputs is out of date
- then the outputs can be matched to files in the project so that they will be compiled again if the previous step has done the compilation

hope I'm clear.

I think this problem is bug, or non correct making <projectname>.depend file, or feature for files with external compile command.
May be I look this problem later.

So, I does generate a makefile for my project and see some behaviour.
Dependencies constructed no right. I think we must check dependencies for our projects.
wxWidgets: 2.8.12
CodeBlocks: Master github cbMakefileGen plugin:
https://github.com/kisoft/cbmakefilegen