Author Topic: Strange error after updating to wx28 under Ubuntu  (Read 10940 times)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Strange error after updating to wx28 under Ubuntu
« on: August 14, 2007, 05:04:52 pm »
Dear all,

I'm not very much into Linux so I need help.
I updated my Ubuntu 7.04 from wx26 to wx28 following the apt-get (somewhat), apt-update (somewhat) etc. instructions provided somewhere in this forum. It all went well - I removed the wx26 stuff completely (truly a wipe) using the package manager and installed wx284 from the wxwidgets. I made a complete new C::B checkout, recompiled from scratch it all works nicely. It definitely compiles against wx28 (I double checked wx-config with it's appropriate flags and checked the build log of C::B). I ran update and everything. Hence when I start C::B using run.sh I receive:
Code
/home/morten/codeblocks/src/output/codeblocks: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_xrc-2.6.so.0: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory.
??? Now how can that be ???
If I compile / link against wx28 and there is no more reference to wx26 why does it complain about wx26 then??? I'm totally confused. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Witgh regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Strange error after updating to wx28 under Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 05:16:17 pm »
no idea, but you managed to compile, so no problems on compiling rev4385 (app.cpp) ??

Offline notBlahButBlahBlah

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 05:28:00 pm »
Hi
Have you all the packages installed ?
This is the mine :
libwxbase2.8-0
libwxbase2.8-dev
libwxgtk2.8-0
libwxgtk2.8-dev
wx2.8-doc
wx2.8-examples
wx2.8-headers
wx2.8-i18n
and very important :
wx-common

all this packages are in version 2.8.4.2 in the repos
deb http://apt.wxwidgets.org/ feisty-wx main

best regards,

Offline pasgui

• Almost regular
    • LGP
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 05:59:53 pm »
On my computer, the lib wx2.6 is installed for a some others applications.

But I have launch the ldd command to check the library dependancy on my computer for all of the codeblocks package but each one have only a dependancy with an wx2.8 version.

Did you check if an older version, or some files of codeblocks are not remaining on your computer ?

Sorry,

Best regards,

pasgui

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 06:49:17 pm »
Morten, paste the output of this command:

wx-config --list
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 10:19:12 pm »
Have you all the packages installed ? [...]
How do I verify this big list? Scrolling up and down in the package manager?! Is there an easy way to archive a list of installed packages that match the "wx" pattern, maybe?!

Did you check if an older version, or some files of codeblocks are not remaining on your computer ?
I did that - I don't "install" C::B so there is only a single folder. This one I have wiped and completely checked out from scratch.

wx-config --list
I was afraid I'm asked to do that as the clipboard is not shared between host and VM. :-( So instead of (again) writing all by hand I'll post a screenshot:

But what does this mean now? Do I haonly have a single package installed?! How on earth could C::B compile then?!

no idea, but you managed to compile, so no problems on compiling rev4385 (app.cpp) ??
I'm still using an older SVN revision. But if I got Thomas right this should be fixed now anyway...?!

Thanks a lot so far... I hope we are getting closer though...
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 02:47:27 am »
Unfortunately, no exists easy solution to get all packages of wx.
Sometimes the usage of the command "aptitude search wx headers" gives indications of all the packages created for wx for such version.

if not it exists this great wiki page :
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Installing_Code::Blocks_nightly_build_on_Ubuntu

or in french two methods, official or manual :
http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/wxwidgets

best regards,

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 03:18:47 am »

But what does this mean now? Do I haonly have a single package installed?! How on earth could C::B compile then?!

I have the same output too, and doesn't have that problem.

Maybe

Code
wx-config --libs

if you want to know all the libraries.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 09:04:37 am »
Ok guys - time to sum up: Issue solved but got a million new issues.

First the good news: I re-sinstalled the VM from scratch. I was  able to compile C::B with all contrib plugins again. Hence the compilation is (somehow) corrupted: The binaries don't get into the "devel" folder but directly into the [source]/.lib folders. So the update script isn't working as it misses all of it's files. Don't know why. So I had to sudo make install to install C::B (which I actually didn't want to do). Then I tried starting C::B - nothing happened. It took me a while to figure out that my source folder is called "codeblocks", too to I renamed it to "codeblocks_svn". Now I can run C::B without any wx26 errors. But: After each exit C::B crashes and creates a core dump. I don't know where it put's this (nothing in the /tmp and /home folder...?!).

BTW: These are all the things why I probably never will feel comfortable with Linux. You simply left in the dark why whatever is happening and where things are stored. I can live with the crash at the end now but I still don't have the environment that I would like to have... anyways... Sorry for the whining but this had to be said.

With regards, Morten.

Edit: Right... I figured out another thing: I know now that only when compiling C::B with C::B things land in the devel folder... not for the Makefile based build. OK.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 09:06:35 am by MortenMacFly »

Offline dje

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 09:55:56 am »
Hi Morten !

BTW: These are all the things why I probably never will feel comfortable with Linux. You simply left in the dark why whatever is happening and where things are stored. I can live with the crash at the end now but I still don't have the environment that I would like to have... anyways... Sorry for the whining but this had to be said.
You're not alone, I am facing te same problems on Linux : "it doesn't work... why ?"  :o

Dje

Offline Charon

• Multiple posting newcomer
  • fnord
    • charon - where mental illness meets chronic nonsense
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 01:34:16 pm »
@morton :
if you don't want to do a "sudo make install" just use this approach

./bootstrap
./configure --prefix=/home/yourusername/programs/codeblocks --enable-contrib
make
make install

in case the installation skript has errors you don't pollute your system and its really easy to completely remove your installation. apart from that you can have a few different svn-versions running along each other for testing.

regards
Markus
hi, i am a signature virus. please copy me into your sig!
Wish list : no root-node for workspaces, open files and symbols; world domination

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 01:46:42 pm »
I have just compiled revision 4393 successfully.  :) :D :lol:

Here some answers to your interrogations:

When an application crashes, the file core can be generally located either in the same folder which the program or in the folder relative that the program.

the command “sudo make install” must be launched in the folder where the "make" was launched.

if you want to trace the events during the course of the program, use the command “strace codeblocks > $HOME/trace_cb”. In the last lines, an indication of the crashes you will find.

About core dump file :

To validate the creation of the files core, to enter the file .bashrc the line:
ulimit -c unlimited.

If you do not have a $HOME/.bashrc , play the command cp $HOME/.bash.bashrc $HOME/.bashrc

The files “core” can appear at any place of the system. Sometimes, the creation of one of these files is obvious, but often it remains invisible.
A file “core” is an image memory of a stopped process which is created with the reception of certain signals.

The most current causes are the violations of memory, the illegal instructions, the exceptions in floating point, errors of bus and output signals of the system generated by user.

The file “core” is written in the current directory of the process.

The files “core” can be used to determine what the process was making at the time of its interruption. However they are frequently left of dimensioned and come to encumber the system.

Best regards,
Ubuntu 7.04

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 02:53:32 pm »

persist, you'll start to see the light. you would have similar issues if you switched to win32 for the first time. this is coming from a guy who has only been using linux a few months now.

i found a guide like this pretty helpful: http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Guide-Commands-Editors-Programming/dp/0131478230 (although it doesn't deal with the idiosyncrasies of individual distros, and you can certainly get by with man and info pages + the www)

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 03:55:53 pm »
persist, you'll start to see the light.

it's true, I think almost everybody face this kind of problems on a first encounter with linux. I was becoming crazy the first time I used linux.

All the libraries placed on usr/lib or sometimes on /usr/local/lib, icons on /usr/share/pixmaps, programs on /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin. System librarys on /lib and system programs on /bin. other software dependencies on /etc like scripts and initializers. That drove me crazy, where to find this and that.

Does there exist a manual of the file structure on linux?. I have learned some basics but hitting my head on the wall.

It is a really organized file structure, but sometimes I get lost on the road. Is normal to happen these things, but when we get, we love it. :D

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 05:13:29 pm »
Thanks guys for all the the help and feedback. Biplab and I have settled it up by now. Don't worry: I have used (and developed under) Linux a lot during my studies but I had good reasons to use Windows afterwards. I was hoping after some years of great progress on the Linux front it was more user-friendly... especially Ubuntu. Some issues arised from the fact that it's running in a VM others were my im-patience. It's all sorted out now... hopefully.
With regards, Morten.